Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I installed LED fog light bulbs on my 2011 CT today. I havethe factory LED headlights so I was looking for a fog light bulb that would match the color temperate. I ended up getting Genssi bulbs off Amazon for $41 shipped they use 4 Cree LED bulbs in a projector housing that emit a focused light much better than their multi SMD LED equivalent. They also have 12 SMD LED’s around the side but most of the light output comes from the 4 Cree bulbs up top.

Here’s a comparison of what they look like to the stock halogen bulb. They are very well made with aluminum housing to dissipate anyheat.

Install was a breeze and took for 20 minutes to do bothsides. Anyone who says you need to remove the bumper to replace the fogs haslikely never done this before, removing the bumper is most definitely not needed.
Start with remove 3 screws and 1 clip directly from the underbody tray directly underneath the fog lights. I started with the driver’s side.

The 3 screws and clip look like this. There is one screw up front screwed into the bumper, another screw in the middle screwed to the metal bodyand one on the back screwed to the other edge of the bumper/fender lining. Then there is also a clip on the back center.

Once the screws and clip are removed you simply need to move the plastic shielding out of the way by sliding it towards the wheel. This shielding is a part of the fender lining but not attached to the main underbody tray.

This was the hardest part but only takes 5 minutes or less.Once the tray is positioned out of the way you can reach your hand up and behind the fog light housing to remove the bulb by twisting counter clockwise. There is not cover behind the bulb that you need to remove; it comes right outwith twisting. Once removed, undo the hardness and install the new bulb byturning clockwise. Re-secure the plastic underbody tray and do the same for passenger side, they are identical.

Here’s a pic with the LED bulb installed on the driver’sside and factory halogen still installed on the passenger side.

Here’s a pic of the bulb installed inside the fog light housing.

Lastly here’s a pic of both installed.

I’ll try to get some night shots later. These emit a strong focused beam of light due the built in projector lenses. I can confidently say they are brighter than the factory halogens and emit more light. These aren’t just for show and many LED bulbs are. I would rate them slightly below HID’s but these may be a much better alternative due to the energy usage, cost and ease of installation. The color temperate is slightly cooler than my factory LED headlights but match much better than the halogens.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
246 Posts
hi, after you take out the 2 screws + 1 bolt + 1 clip, how do you "slide" the plastic shielding towards the wheel when all vertical sides seem to be locked and wont budge?

·
Registered
246 Posts
would i need to take out more clips that is further above those 2 flathead screw pins? almost looks like i have to unhook the entire wheel well plastic....which is why i stopped last nite temporarily and ask for advice here

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
would i need to take out more clips that is further above those 2 flathead screw pins? almost looks like i have to unhook the entire wheel well plastic....which is why i stopped last nite temporarily and ask for advice here
I'm not sure what you are referring to. There are not any clips above those 2.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
246 Posts
if you follow up the "curve" further above the 2 flathead screw pins, there are a couple of those "push and pull" pins that you find in the engine compartment cover (the black plastic cover that you remove to reach into the headlights with 7-9 of those pins)

but i guess if you are not sure what i am referring to then i shouldnt be worrying about that high up the wheel well cover....

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if you follow up the "curve" further above the 2 flathead screw pins, there are a couple of those "push and pull" pins that you find in the engine compartment cover (the black plastic cover that you remove to reach into the headlights with 7-9 of those pins)

but i guess if you are not sure what i am referring to then i shouldnt be worrying about that high up the wheel well cover....
No you wouldn't remove that far up. You have to be aggressive to get it to pull out from the bumper. It's tough but you only need enough room to get your hand in there. You're not taking out the whole piece just making a gap large enough to get in there.

·
Registered
195 Posts
No you wouldn't remove that far up. You have to be aggressive to get it to pull out from the bumper. It's tough but you only need enough room to get your hand in there. You're not taking out the whole piece just making a gap large enough to get in there

Second that! You only need a gap big enough to put your hand in there to change the fog light. The plastic cover can stay there.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Yeah, it's kinda a tight fit, but all you need to do is flex the wheel well plastic away enough to stick your hand in there, you can change the bulb by feel.

I wish they did what the Prius had which was tiny doors that open on the undercarriage to access the bulbs.

·
Banned
325 Posts
Nice work done on the fog light and its changing.Its really very useful for me because i juts started my new project on these fog light.

·
Registered
7 Posts
so I decided to swap out stock halogen bulbs with LEDs today. the vehicle is a 2014 f-sport. interior is all done. headlamps and high beams too! all very easy thanks to the posts on this forum. where my trouble lies is with the fogs. I can get back behind them by removing 2 clips on the wheel well. now when I go to twist the bulb it only twists slightly and the tabs aren't lined up properly to release the bulb fully. this might seem silly to you guys, but are they locked in some way? what am I missing and/or doing wrong? didn't want to chance it and break something so I thought I would ask. any input/advice is greatly appreciated! thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mines 2013 and I have already replaced my fogs with LED. It is just a normal bulb like the stock headlights. Just turn counter clock wise and pull out.
thanks for the reply. I'm going to try and get out there later today and give it another go. i could turn them counter clockwise but not enough to release them. very strange! the headlamps came out 1,2,3...

·
Registered
414 Posts
I replaced my entire fog light units with the Lexus LED replacement ones. I ordered them up from the US - they're direct replacements for the factory fog light assemblies.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts