Lexus CT200h Forums banner
121 - 140 of 160 Posts

· Registered
108 Posts
My wife and I took a road trip from SoCal to Lake Tahoe which is about 476 miles each way. Going to Tahoe is up hill so I knew my MPG would not be as good as it would on the way back. On the way there, I didn't particularly try to get better mileage and drove about 70 mph (with CC). This and the uphill direction resulted in an average of 42 MPG. On the way home (down hill) I tried to be more mindful of fuel economy and went no more than 65 mph (with CC) and got 53.5 MPG. I was able to go 500 miles before the fuel light came on. It took 9.4 gallons to refuel at 503 miles. I'm impressed.Edit: Interestingly, the computer indicated an average of 51.1 MPG but my manual calculation was 53.5 MPG.
You did well. I can get 53.5 frequently but it is just not fun not to exceed 65mph barrier.

· Registered
16 Posts
Coming up on 1st year anniversary w/ 8k miles (44.1 avg MPG). Summer is approaching which means AC usage. Does anyone think they've mastered the best MPG w/ AC technique? I'm curious if you alternate your drive style to accommodate (lead foot, pulse/glide, gradual acceleration, etc). That said...

Agree or Disagree: ECO mode = best MPG opportunity when using AC

· Registered
14 Posts
Gas mileage ct200h

Truth about gas mileage.first do not let the battery drain to the lower pink bars. Charging a dead battery in this region is very hard for the engine. Try to use only the battery for the first 10mph speed. After that try to come out of Ev mode. If you need to slow down fast its best to use the B gear the when speed reaches 30mph put it back in drive and gently press the brakes so that the charge is just pointing to the letter C on charge. Never drive in neutral as no regen hahappens.use only if possible synthetic oil at 0w 20 with special Lucas oil stabilizer for thinner oils. This gets the lubrication going very quickly and protects the timing chain better.use a k/n air filter as this should increase mileage by 1-2 mpg.use Lucas fuel injector cleaner. no more than 10 percent ethanol ggasoline.use a good quality wax this saves about 1mpg. Make sure underneath the covers for the engine are secure as loose ones becomes air drags.the absolute best i have gotten is about 62mpg on flat roads for about 40 miles of mix highways and city.

· Registered
16 Posts
the absolute best i have gotten is about 62mpg on flat roads for about 40 miles of mix highways and city.
that's pretty incredible; what's your lifetime average? And you typically drive in Eco mode in a manner that would infuriate city drivers (slow acceleration to maximize EV)? I'd be interested in knowing how the numbers change running a/c and in what mode.

· Premium Member
379 Posts
Now that the temps are warming up, I'm averaging 45mpg and that's driving in sport 90% of the time and not really trying.
Lifetime since I got it in February is 42mpg and that included the weeks when the high was in the single digits.

· Registered
16 Posts
Now that the temps are warming up, I'm averaging 45mpg and that's driving in sport 90% of the time and not really trying.
Lifetime since I got it in February is 42mpg and that included the weeks when the high was in the single digits.
So it sounds like you used heat the majority of the time and are now switching to AC; good to know. What drive mode(s) do you use other than sport and why/when?

· Registered
246 Posts
i use ECO mode most of the time, after a couple of months of experimenting, the sweet spot for getting the best fuel economy is with the following conditions:

- typical hybrid driving style (slow down early, avoid hard braking and accelerating)
- A/C off during the first 10-15 mins of starting the car (i roll down the windows in this case, except when i enter the highway)
- being able to drive at around 40-60mph smoothly with as little stops (stop signs, red lights) or slowdowns (traffic jams) as possible
- being able to (while driving) keep your ECO meter needle just above half way, above O of the word ECO on the meter, or around the 930 to 10 o'clock position. i find that if you go over 10 oclock you start to lose fuel economy. if you keep using EV mode and keep it at 8-9 oclock, the battery will drain very fast and you are not going fast enough to make it worthwhile (and eventually the battery will be drained and you are stuck with gas-only for a bit until the battery is able to hold a bit or charge to sustain EV mode again). keeping the needle at around the 930-10 o'clock position (just above half way) seem to strike the best balance between using the least amount of gas, while being able to charge the battery decently, while being able to travel at a decent speed. if you need to accelerate such as going up a hill, then by all means press the gas and have it meter go up to POWER; just dont leave it there for too long.

for a while i was able to achieve 50mpg this way.....but are you guys basing your mpg off the (skewed and inaccurate) dashboard mpg reading, or actual real fuelly-style mpg? because my (canadian) car for some reason displays in UK mpg as supposed to US mpg on the dashboard, which has a higher number than the US mpg.

· Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the detailed FYI Chroma.
are you guys basing your mpg off the (skewed and inaccurate) dashboard mpg reading, or actual real fuelly-style mpg? because my (canadian) car for some reason displays in UK mpg as supposed to US mpg on the dashboard, which has a higher number than the US mpg.
I am using the dashboard MPG, although I did not realize it's skewed and inaccurate (guess I'll have to look into the fuelly)!

· Registered
246 Posts
Thanks for the detailed FYI Chroma.

I am using the dashboard MPG, although I did not realize it's skewed and inaccurate (guess I'll have to look into the fuelly)!
from my experience with cars, the dashboard MPG always displays better mileage than the real MPG (mileage traveled via trip computer reading, divided by how many gallons you fuel up to full at the gas station, and you reset the trip computer to zero after you fuel up) by about 5-10%

· Registered
9 Posts
No introductions here but this is my first post I believe.
My average on the dash readout is 54-55mpg. Actual calculated mpg (x miles driven on tank/gallons of gas put in) calculates to about 50mpg. Little disappointed by the ECU's graciously exaggerated mpg calculation.
2013 ct200h F Sport with aero bumpers. Stock everything. 30k miles so far on odometer. 87 octane 10%ethanol at chevron every fill up. Replaced air filter and changed oil last weekend. Toyota 0w20 and oem filter. Drive in ECO mode 100% of the time save for the occasional "sport mode" for the short on ramps occasionally.
Some specs on my average driving speeds....
Freeway speeds average around 55-60mph. Street speeds average between 35-40.

Tire re pressure is set to 38 front and 37 rear at cold. Using the oem supplied tires that came on the car.

I was going to post to ask about others' driving habits to increase my mpg but from what I've read so far, I guess I'm a little ahead of the curve as far as mpg goes??? *confused*

· Registered
30 Posts
Yes that's very nice mpg already. What tyres (size/model) do you have in it? You could check pulse&glide strategy for even better results. It works for me atleast, normally I'm getting 43-46 on mixed city/highway, but with good P&G in city it can jump to 56-58.. (2014 non F-Sport, 16" rims with stock 205/55 Bridgestone Turanza tyres)

· Registered
16 Posts
I agree completely with nacke, sykou; if you're getting 50mpg+ driving in ECO 100% of the time... well, seems like you've figured out something special (I drove ECO only first few thousand miles and was around 39mpg but that could be because of lots of hills in a 900 mile road trip). I also use Chevron 86+ octane. When you drive in ECO, where is your needle on the eco gauge - 'power' to start to get up to speed limit then stabilizing in ECO range or slow and gradual so always in eco range? And how often do you have heat and/or AC running?

· Registered
9 Posts
Yes that's very nice mpg already. What tyres (size/model) do you have in it? You could check pulse&glide strategy for even better results. It works for me atleast, normally I'm getting 43-46 on mixed city/highway, but with good P&G in city it can jump to 56-58.. (2014 non F-Sport, 16" rims with stock 205/55 Bridgestone Turanza tyres)
Stock f sport 17" rims. Michelin Primacy MXM4 215/45/17

· Registered
9 Posts
I agree completely with nacke, sykou; if you're getting 50mpg+ driving in ECO 100% of the time... well, seems like you've figured out something special (I drove ECO only first few thousand miles and was around 39mpg but that could be because of lots of hills in a 900 mile road trip). I also use Chevron 86+ octane. When you drive in ECO, where is your needle on the eco gauge - 'power' to start to get up to speed limit then stabilizing in ECO range or slow and gradual so always in eco range? And how often do you have heat and/or AC running?
Ac always on Auto setting. Temperature set to 72-77 depending on outside temperature and weather conditions. When accelerating, the needle goes into the power section near the lower end of it. Average acceleration is slightly faster than one mph increase per second as a rough estimate. As I get to speed I let off the gas and let it level just above the Eco Mark. If speed and traffic permits, I'll let off the glass and reapply to allow the car to go into ev mode and maintain my speed that way.

121 - 140 of 160 Posts