Lexus CT200h Forums banner
101 - 120 of 160 Posts

· Registered
990 Posts
first time i averaged 60+ mpg in a day. i feel good.

View attachment 43705
Um I hate to burst your bubble but that means absolutely nothing. For one it's computer mpg which is not accurate, two it's just over 24 hours. If that's the case I have averaged 99.9 mpg over 24 hours but sadly my tank mpg was 43 manually calculated. Computer said 46. With that said come back after you fill the tank and do a manual calculation.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
2 Posts
Hello all,

This is my first time posting on this forum so forgive me if the question is misplaced!

I purchased by 2013 CT at the end of this past September (2013). I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and live roughly 2 miles from my workplace. In other words, I do not drive a lot, and since I bought the car, I've done almost exclustively city driving.

I've driven through nearly three full tanks (the first was in the car when I picked it up at the dealer; I've since filled the tank twice, and am nearly at the end of the third tank). Regularly, I've been getting 300 miles per tank, which I understand to be roughly 25 mpg.

I've been driving on the eco setting since I filled the last tank to see if that would make a difference. It hasn't. The only other thing that I can think of that might limit my MPG is having the heater or AC on, which is true about half the time.

Is 25 mpg to be expected for city driving? My understanding is that I should be getting about 150 miles more than I am per tank, so I feel like either I'm doing something wrong, or something is wrong with the car.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

· Registered
990 Posts
25 mpg is extremely low. You are going to get worse mpg city driving vs highway but that's just not right. Now are you getting 300 miles out of a tank when the rank hits empty? If so you have to realize many members of this forum are getting 450 miles per tank driving well past empty. I get 350 out if my tank consistently at empty but easily drive 100 miles past empty and usually fill up with 1-1.5 gallons remaining. The gas light will go in at 8 gallons but the tank is 11.9 gallons.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
842 Posts
Hello all,

This is my first time posting on this forum so forgive me if the question is misplaced!

I purchased by 2013 CT at the end of this past September (2013). I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and live roughly 2 miles from my workplace. In other words, I do not drive a lot, and since I bought the car, I've done almost exclustively city driving.

I've driven through nearly three full tanks (the first was in the car when I picked it up at the dealer; I've since filled the tank twice, and am nearly at the end of the third tank). Regularly, I've been getting 300 miles per tank, which I understand to be roughly 25 mpg.

I've been driving on the eco setting since I filled the last tank to see if that would make a difference. It hasn't. The only other thing that I can think of that might limit my MPG is having the heater or AC on, which is true about half the time.

Is 25 mpg to be expected for city driving? My understanding is that I should be getting about 150 miles more than I am per tank, so I feel like either I'm doing something wrong, or something is wrong with the car.

300 miles per tank means nothing. Did you run it until it coughed, gasped and stopped? If not, you need to divide the number of miles driven by the gallons of gas you used to fill the tank, not the tank capacity. Most of our fuel gauges are wildly pessimistic to avoid running out of gas, which can have some deleterious effects on the combustion engine.

What does the car computer say is your mileage? What does it say is your average since fill up? While these readings are not totally accurate, they are close and close enough for me. I have never gotten less than 40 mpg on any tank of gas and I have, for the past year averaged well over 44 mpg in mostly city driving. On short trips (Miami to Key West), I average over 50mpg. Going in the other direction I always average about 7-8 mpg less than that because it is turnpike or I-95 and I can't stay around with the slow pokes but you pay for every mph over 50 or so.

In short, I doubt that you are getting 25 mpg. If you are, you need to unhitch and leave the travel trailer home.

· Registered
47 Posts
Hello all,<br>
<br>
This is my first time posting on this forum so forgive me if the question is misplaced! <br>
<br>
I purchased by 2013 CT at the end of this past September (2013). I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and live roughly 2 miles from my workplace. In other words, <strong>I do not drive a lot</strong>, and since I bought the car, I've done <strong>almost exclustively city driving</strong>.<br>
<br>
I've driven through nearly three full tanks (the first was in the car when I picked it up at the dealer; I've since filled the tank twice, and am nearly at the end of the third tank). Regularly, I've been getting <strong>300 miles per tank</strong>, which I understand to be <strong>roughly 25 mpg. <br>
</strong><br>
I've been driving on the eco setting since I filled the last tank to see if that would make a difference. It hasn't. The only other thing that I can think of that might limit my MPG is having the heater or AC on, which is true about half the time.<br>
<br>
Is 25 mpg to be expected for city driving? My understanding is that I should be getting about 150 miles more than I am per tank, so I feel like either I'm doing something wrong, or something is wrong with the car. <br>
<br>
Welcome to the forum! To calculate the mpg on your last tank of gas, take the number of miles you've driven since the previous fill up and divide by the number of gallons on your last fill up.

Your short commute may be lowering your fuel economy. Every time the engine is cold (meaning you haven't driven it in a while), the engine will take a few minutes to warm up, using fuel. You might drive about a half of a mile before the engine warms up and the engine management system returns to regular hybrid mode. My guess is that you're not driving long enough to overcome the initial hit in fuel economy every time you begin your commute to work or back home.<br><br>I also live in the SF Bay Area and regularly drive within SF and on the hills of SF. My commute is about 15 miles with about half of that within SF and my overall fuel economy is about 44 mpg.

It's much easier to reduce your overall mpg than to raise it. All it takes is for the engine to kick in for you to reduce your MPGs, whether it be during initial warm-up or if it's being used to recharge your hybrid battery. However, even with your commute, I'd expect that your fuel economy would be around 30 to 35 mpg. Not 25 mpg.

· Registered
97 Posts
...I've driven through nearly three full tanks (the first was in the car when I picked it up at the dealer; I've since filled the tank twice, and am nearly at the end of the third tank). Regularly, I've been getting 300 miles per tank, which I understand to be roughly 25 mpg.
Well, you've got to be more clear than "full tank". How many gallons have you been putting in, divide that into the number of miles driven, and you get your mpg. My CT200h tells me that it's out of "range" when I've only used about 8.5 gallons. If your "tanks" are like mine, then you've averaged about 35mpg, not great, but nothing to worry about.

To be more precise, my CT seems to underestimate the gallons used by 0.5 gallons. So, when it says I've gone 401 miles on 8.5 gallons, for 47.2mpg, when I fill up at the pump, I put in 9 gallons, and fuelly.com tells me I've only done about 44.5 mpg. That's disappointing that the computer is inaccurate. I wonder if it's the gas stations overcharging me by telling me that I've gotten more fuel, of if it's Lexus' being poorly calibrated.

Only way to find out is to drive with a can of precisely measured gas in the back, and drive it to empty and see if it takes more than the 11.9 gallons to fill, which would mean the gas stations are padding their numbers.

· Registered
2 Posts
Thanks so much ctecho and KenC for your feedback! Very helpful in understanding how the car works.

KenC: I did some calculations and I think that I am actually overestimating the "emptiness" of my tank. When I filled up yesterday, I put in only 7.8 gallons even though I thought my tank was nearly empty (it was on the last line before "Empty"), when in reality, it seems to have had 4.1 gallons left.

If I indeed had 4.1 gallons left in my tank, I calculated my MPG at ~36, which would be more reasonable based on ctech's feedback. (Hopefully my calculations are correct: When I filled my tank previously, I was at 600 miles on the odometer; when I refilled last night, I was at 880. I had driven 280 miles on, according to the pump, roughly 7.8 gallons. 280/78 = ~36.)

Here's another question: I looked at the fuel consumption history stats in the navigation system and it says my "best MPG" is 22mpg. Does this number mean anything?

· Registered
1 Posts
I bought the first CT Hybrid sold by a Lexus Dealer in Maryland on 3/05/2011. I have tracked my miles per gallon on each fill up based on the odometer difference in miles divided by the amount of fuel I pumped to fill the tank. I drive a variety of highway and suburban driving in Maryland. I have taken it on trips to New York City and Syracuse, NY to visit relatives. I do not have a lead foot but I also do not baby the acceleration. I drive it in sport mode on the highway and Econ or Normal Mode in the city/suburbs. I see no significant difference in MPG as a function of Mode I use to drive in. In approx 6 month increments here is what I am averaging in MPG in my CT200 from 3/05/2011 to 12/03/2013

OdometerGallonsAvg
DateMileageMiles DrivenGas PumpedMPG
03/05/1141---
06/23/1151045063114.78244.1
12/28/11119406836155.89443.9
06/19/12180666126142.4843.0
12/28/12242036137145.84242.1
06/05/1327303310074.59441.6
12/03/1330634333178.091642.7

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 ct200 and already have 31,000 miles on it. I have gotten mileage as high as 48mpg, per tank and never lower then 42mpg. My overall mpg meter shows 44.1 mpg. The trick is simple, NEVER drive in ECO mode unless you are maintaining 70mph. I'm in sport mode 90% of the time. Driving in sport mode doesn't hardly require the pressing of the pedal. Switching to ECO, the pedal becomes mush and all power is lost. I only use 87 octane and keep tires to manufacturers recommended 32 psi front, 31 psi rear.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone.

I bought a 2013 CT200 just under a month ago, and so far, my average is 43.7 on the computer, and 41.9 according to fuelly. I live in the burbs of Atlanta, where it's rather hilly, and these are my observations.

• On up hills, I get better fuel economy by accelerating quicker than normal (middle of power gauge) up to speed, then maintaining, but on level ground, keeping it below the power area. On hills, I've noticed trying to keep it below the power area, I just can't gain speed, and it's getting horrible numbers in the process.

• EV mode (button) is kind of weird. Sometimes it shuts off at ~25mph, and other times it shuts off at ~10mph with the message "disabled due to excess speed". I press it when I get to the entrance of my neighborhood, and also when pulling into the parking deck at work. I probably do about a mile every day like that.

• EV mode (auto) - Even though when pressing the EV button, the system limits you to 25mph, when the computer is controlling it, you can actually go up to 45mph completely on electric. That being the case, I try to maximize the time spent like that.

• Braking - when coasting to a stop, if you just lightly press on the brake pedal, you engage the regenerative braking system without actual engaging the mechanical brakes. It still slows you down a little bit, but also charges the battery faster than just coasting.

• Engine Braking - If you have a long downhil, put the transmission in "B", this is the same as downshifting in a traditional transmission, with the added benefit of charging faster than coasting in "D", but still not as efficient charging as with the braking.

· Registered
107 Posts
The EV mode is dependent on how much juice you have in your battery.

I usually use engine braking when coming to a quicker than normal stop along w/ the light braking to regenerate quicker.

I may have to switch to Normal or sport as I do drives to houston cruising ~80mph and can't seem to get better than 36-37mpg average trip (which is really 34-35mpg in real world since the gauge is off by 2MPG).

· Registered
4 Posts
My wife and I took a road trip from SoCal to Lake Tahoe which is about 476 miles each way. Going to Tahoe is up hill so I knew my MPG would not be as good as it would on the way back. On the way there, I didn't particularly try to get better mileage and drove about 70 mph (with CC). This and the uphill direction resulted in an average of 42 MPG. On the way home (down hill) I tried to be more mindful of fuel economy and went no more than 65 mph (with CC) and got 53.5 MPG. I was able to go 500 miles before the fuel light came on. It took 9.4 gallons to refuel at 503 miles. I'm impressed.

Edit: Interestingly, the computer indicated an average of 51.1 MPG but my manual calculation was 53.5 MPG.

· Registered
251 Posts
We just got back from a 1200 miles trip , from Wilmington Delaware to north of Detroit Michigan and back.... 60-65F outside temp in April,,, I drove 75+ mph at least 75% of the time on I-76 and I-80...There were 3 adults and car was loaded. I got 44.5 mpg on the way out to Michigan, On the way home, it was VERY windy and I think that's one of the reasons why I got only 41.5 mpg. Hey, at 75 mph HW speed I could not be sad about the resulting mpg, right?

On a different subject... I got home late last nite, my wife drove the CT into our garage, I heard of interesting noise in the front engine (1 to 2 sec). So I asked my wife to back out and drove in again (I was outside of the car) and sure enough I heard of the noise that I never before. This morning I called the local Lexus dealer which is 30 miles away and took my car in. The lead tech asked his helper to back out and drove in like I did, he quickly smiled and told me that 1-2 sec noise is normal for a hybrid engine (You could not hear if you sit in a car).

back to the subj of mpg... I deliberately drove in the Ecomode most of the 60-mile round trip, minimizing getting into the "Powermode" , Guess what... I got 48.9 mpg by doing so... so it could be done (Yeap, I know it's tough because I drove 75 mph on I-76 and I-80 yesterday)

· Registered
352 Posts
We just got back from a 1200 miles trip , from Wilmington Delaware to north of Detroit Michigan and back.... 60-65F outside temp in April,,, I drove 75+ mph at least 75% of the time on I-76 and I-80...There were 3 adults and car was loaded. I got 44.5 mpg on the way out to Michigan, On the way home, it was VERY windy and I think that's one of the reasons why I got only 41.5 mpg. Hey, at 75 mph HW speed I could not be sad about the resulting mpg, right?
Those are great numbers especially loaded passengers and stuff. I find that passengers reduce my mpg's the most, don't tell my wife that.

101 - 120 of 160 Posts