Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new owner, although only hitting 32mpg @ 125miles, I've been reading and trying to understand how to get the advertised mpg. I thought it might be useful to post some tips from others and maybe help everyone summarize what works and what doesn't. Coming from a G35, I have a heavy foot, I either gas or break, and I accelerate like someone is chasing me at a light. I'm always the first off the light and I'm always passing. Having said that, I was getting 18mpg and loads of fun. I went the CT200 route to get at least 38mpg and am willing to give up some fun for a more civil ride home. I commute 25miles each way, many hills, some traffic, usually hit speeds above 70-75mph in san diego. Here's a few pastes from others I've found helpful. Please comment for the sake of helping those, like myself, who haven't achieved MPG nirvana.

emejay:
  • -short commute: I have a 60 mile one way commute in So Cal, and I find the car really doesn't warm up (engine oil, not coolant) for about 20 miles. Once warm, the car gets much better MPG. I have 22K miles on mine now, the worst tank was 50 MPG, the best 60 MPG. If I did lots of short trips with a cold car I bet it would be about 40.
  • -speed: you already found out how higher speed sukssss gas...traffic on my commute dictates I go about 55 mph and I notice if it is about 50 mph the fuel economy is noticeable better. Of course, it is not practical to drive 50 mph when traffic is going 75 mph or if you need to get someplace in short time, but when traffic dictates it, you benefit in fuel economy.
  • -"eyes up": they teach you in high performance driving schools to look ahead to see whats coming up. This can translate to non-racing driving to plan ahead to avoid unnecessary braking and accelerating.
  • -tire pressure: the tire manufacturer, Michelin, states maximum pressure is 51 psi for my tires, I inflate them to 50 psi and notice several MPG increase. This is still within the manufacturers recommendation, so hold the hate mail. This is higher than Lexus' recommendations, but they have an ineterest in providing a smooth ride (note the number of posts of people complaining of the rough ride....). Yes, it rides a little rougher. No, there is no significant signs of aberrant wear on the tire as the tire is still within manufacturers recommendation. I have inflated my tires to close to the max on all of my cars for the last 20+ years without any problems. In fact, tire shop personnel are amazed at how many miles I get out of a set of tires.
  • -weather: best mileage is when it is hot outside, even 50 F is "cold" here where I live and I see a 1-2 MPG decrease. Rain also reduces your mileage by increasing rolling resistance.
  • -engine oil: this is very anecdotal, but once I used Mobil1 0w-20 and it seemed like it was harder to get the better gas mileage. I use Toyota 0w-20 exlulsively now. Research on Bobistheoilguy.com shows the Toyota oil to measure at a thinner viscosity than the Mobil1, and it has more antiwear ingredients (more slippery??). Again, my experience is anecdotal and impossible the document.
  • -weather (cold REALLY kills mileage), I notice worse mileage when it is 50F, much better when it is 90F (even with a/c on)
  • -longer trips (driving the car when the engine is not fully heated kills mileage too). I have a 60 mile commute.
  • -higher tire pressure is good for another 1-2 MPG. I set them to 50 psi
  • -higher speeds increases aero drag HUGE! Traffic where I live doesn't usually allow 70mph.
  • -like a traditional internal combustion car, quick acceleration sucks up the fuel. I don't drive like grandma, but rarely floor the car
  • -I find normal or sport or eco mode makes no discernable difference in mileage whatsoever
  • -after the car "breaks in" (8K to 10K miles), it just uses less fuel. Part of that may be gaining experiece in driving it.
  • -big, long hills followed by big long downhills uses more gas net than the same distance all flat terrrain (no hills on my usual commute)
58 Gemni:
  • mpg drops drastically with under-inflated tires. A few psi over recommended, 36/35, gives good mileage and yet a decent ride. 41/40 a bit more mileage but harsher ride. Still looking for that sweet spot, I think it may be 37/36. :) After I have my 10k checkup, I will drop the tires to 37/36 and let it run for a few tanks.
MCook:
  • I find that weather is a big culprit in declining gas mileage. You also must consider terrain. I live in an area that is slightly hilly and I take short trips. In the summer, I average around 41-42mpg. In the winter, I have averaged 35-37mpg. My belief is that the car uses gasoline to warm up in the winter to function the heater and defroster and the engine runs much longer leading to the decrease in mileage. Plus, I get the car defrosted and warmed up and then my trip is completed in a short distance which is harsh for gas mileage. I guess it sort of depends on your location in California and the terrain and climate.

QBallTBEB:
  • I am averaging around 46MPG based on Fuelly. (48.5 based on the car's readout). I've been able to hit 48+MPG twice. My worse MPG is around 38 and that was due to a road trip from the Bay Area to So Cal. I was cruising between 75 - 80 MPH. Anything above 70 MPH kills your MPGs.

Midcow3:
  • The CT200h gas tank holds 11.9 gallons. As a brilliant safety measure to protect their valuable customers, Lexus decided to have an emergency 3 gallons. So they base the gas gauge and cruising range on the non-emergency portion 11.9-3 = 8.9 gallons. When your gauge is absolutely empty, you still have 3 gallons of gas. When you cruise ranges says zero (0), you still have 3 gallons ~ 120 miles.

· Registered
11 Posts
I have had my CT for over a year now and have used fuelly to track my MPG statistics. I have found that cold temperature greatly affects MPG. I have also found keeping the tires inflated and using non-ethanol 87 octane gas works best. You will get the best mileage when the temperature does not require the heater and you get a few more miles on the engine.

· Registered
842 Posts
I have had my CT for over a year now and have used fuelly to track my MPG statistics. I have found that cold temperature greatly affects MPG. I have also found keeping the tires inflated and using non-ethanol 87 octane gas works best. You will get the best mileage when the temperature does not require the heater and you get a few more miles on the engine.
In your neck of the woods doesn't non ethanol gas cost a lot more than whatever is in the cheapo pump? It sure does down here in Florida, where it is sold primarily for boating and recreational use. Even if I got somewhat better mileage with gas that doesn't subsidize the corn farmers, I doubt that it would make economic sense to switch, unless it cost the same as the alcohol laced gas.

· Registered
40 Posts
I have a 2013 CT200h with less than 300 miles. My wife recently was able to get 42 MPG, however the 2012 CT200h loaner I just returned with 3k miles can do 45 MPG easy. I think the car just needs to be broken in properly. I have high hopes for the CT.

· Registered
93 Posts
I have about 3300 miles on mine. I rarely get over 40 mpg. 41 mpg at best. I don't see how people get such high mileage claims. I live in the Atlanta, GA area and its all hills. I mean some of these high mpg claims must be from places that are completely flat or only downhill. My mileage will go up on the interstates. I always thought that hybrids were supposed to get higher mielage with around town driving over highway driving. That's not what I'm finding. But the difference between the two is small compared to a gas only car.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I'm only getting 32.5mpg but I'm only 240miles so far. I'll go fill up today and post on fuelly.
My tires are all 36psi. I feel I'm sacrificing a lot just to get better gas mileage. In no way does my car feel like my other Lexus vehicles in terms of smoothness and dynamics however the interior is nice and comfortable. It's cheaper than the other cars so you get what you pay for. I'm happy if I can get 38mpg using sports mode and driving like a normal human being, however I'd like to at least get to 38mpg just to make sure that it's possible first.

· Registered
180 Posts
I get better mpg's whenever I hit traffic. Coming from a manual transmission non-hybrid car, this is a big improvement.

I mean... I hate traffic as much as the next guy, but when I get stuck and the engine is off, I just turn up the music and enjoy not wasting a drop of gas. Even better, when the traffic slows down below 45mph on the freeway, I try to maintain EV mode as long as possible.

· Registered
10 Posts
I've now had my CT for 3 full days of commuting to/from work - 100 miles round trip. I've been trying something different each day as far as mileage. Temperature has been in the 30s/low 40s each day. Trip is moderately hilly - net of 450 feet incline there and decline back. Each day was probably about 80%/20% open highway/stop and go traffic (still hilarious to me watching the mpg increase as i sit in traffic). Tire pressure (stock tires) at 35 psi all around. The calculations below are just from the car. I just filled up for the first time today and will be comparing the car's mpg assessment with the actual mpg from now until the next time I fill up.

Day 1 - normal mode, drove somewhat normally though did try to limit my highway speed to <75mph. Averaged 47.1 mpg. (44.7 on the way there - net uphill)

Day 2 - sport mode, drove somewhat aggressively, tried to have fun with the car (and did!), max speed 90 averaged probably 75-80 while the highway was open. Averaged 41.7 mpg.

Day 3 - eco mode, tried to "hypermile" - as much as possible tried to get the max mpg out of the car, probably annoyed some people behind me, max speed ended up being 70 (downhill) - average highway speed 60-65, going as low as 50 on the highway uphill. Averaged 51.7 mpg. That's 48.4 on the way there (net uphill) and 55.0 on the way back (net downhill).

I have about 500 miles on the car. Given that people say the weather makes a big difference and that the mpg improves as the car is "broken in," I'm very optimistic about the extent of my fuel savings going forward. I am used to about 20-22 mpg to work, about $100 a week (and that's with working from home most Fridays!). I figure given current gas prices and if my commute is the same, I'll save $10k over 4 years. (Realistically will probably drive somewhere between day 1 and day 2 styles). Clearly there are a few variables in my calculations - can't conclude yet how much of it is the mode vs. the driving style, for example. But, safe to say the car is getting the advertised mileage.

Btw about EV mode, I find the EV light comes on sometimes at as high as 45mpg and below if I am coasting or well-charged. The salesman had told me 20mph max. I'll have to read about it, but I'm pretty sure that means full EV mode (tachometer drops to 0 in sport mode so that would make sense).

· Registered
7 Posts
Just filled the tank for the first time on my new 2013.

My former car(s) were a 2008 Prius, and then a 2010 Prius, so I've been accustomed to driving a hybrid for some time- maybe 60,000 miles or so.

I used to net high 40's regularly with my Prius- 49MPG, usually.

First tank with the CT was 42MPG. Included one jaunt up our local canyon to check out the handling that included a lot of low MPG behavior. I find I'm running in sport mode most of the time, to increase throttle response/tip in.

Very impressed. I know high 40's are attainable with this car, but it's just too fun to drive like I used to drive my Prius. I drove the Prius like a granny (apologies to any grandmothers on the forum), because it was such a poor-handling car.

But the CT.............so nimble, flat through the turns, responsive. It's not a beast like my C6 Corvette, but it's just a hoot to zip around in, and SO much more economical! I wonder if I'll continue to drive the CT as much when the warmer weather comes this spring, and leave the Vette in the garage more?

· Registered
94 Posts
Just filled the tank for the first time on my new 2013.

My former car(s) were a 2008 Prius, and then a 2010 Prius, so I've been accustomed to driving a hybrid for some time- maybe 60,000 miles or so.

I used to net high 40's regularly with my Prius- 49MPG, usually.

First tank with the CT was 42MPG. Included one jaunt up our local canyon to check out the handling that included a lot of low MPG behavior. I find I'm running in sport mode most of the time, to increase throttle response/tip in.

Very impressed. I know high 40's are attainable with this car, but it's just too fun to drive like I used to drive my Prius. I drove the Prius like a granny (apologies to any grandmothers on the forum), because it was such a poor-handling car.

But the CT.............so nimble, flat through the turns, responsive. It's not a beast like my C6 Corvette, but it's just a hoot to zip around in, and SO much more economical! I wonder if I'll continue to drive the CT as much when the warmer weather comes this spring, and leave the Vette in the garage more?
I had to smile when I read this....I have a C6Z06 which pretty much sits in the garage now....driving the CT is certainly not a hair raising experience, but still a lot of fun!! I find trying to max the MPG is like playing a video game and tying to rack up points. :)

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was at 32mpg on my first tank of gas from the dealer (300miles).
I am currently doing 37mpg on my second tank of gas (500miles).
The only thing I've changed is go from 31psi to 36psi and maybe learn better driving habits.
Hopefully it improves as it breaks in. My goal is 38mpg with sports mode with aggressive driving.

· Registered
200 Posts
I was at 32mpg on my first tank of gas from the dealer (300miles).
I am currently doing 37mpg on my second tank of gas (500miles).
The only thing I've changed is go from 31psi to 36psi and maybe learn better driving habits.
Hopefully it improves as it breaks in. My goal is 38mpg with sports mode with aggressive driving.
i'm currently getting 38 MPG, using primarily SPORT mode and the HEAT using REMOTE START in the early A.M.

I pounce on it as soon at the traffic light turns GREEN! :cool:

1 - 20 of 160 Posts