Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI - My intent isn’t to cause trouble here but is twofold:
1. Warn Others
2. Seek other owners who have had a similar issue if this ends up in a Class Action Lawsuit

Situation:
My 2015 CT200h with 35,000 miles had 1 headlamp go out, odd but ok. Then my other headlamp goes out. I work 12-15 hour days and it’s now Saturday night and I can’t wait till Monday to fix this. I got to Autozone and use their app to see which bulbs will work. I looked at the manual, it had no particular warnings. i purchased the Sylvania H11 Xenon fueled lamps - 12.8v 55W.

I followed the online instructions on how to remove the bulbs, popped the new ones in , put them through the mount turned and clicked in place - sweet! Checked - both lights were on - nice! I took off down the road about .5 mile to get a Shamrock Shake. I turned off the car and went inside and as I was receiving my shake - a net of less than 10 minutes from when I had installed the bulbs, my engine was engulfed in flames. A customer came in yelling about a car on fire. I knew it was mine - just my luck. I dashed into the car to grab my laptop unsure what would survive. 2 Firetrucks, a sawed off hood and a lot of burned plastic - the net result - a TOTAL LOSS.

I opened an issue with Lexus 2 months ago. They issued me a case number and have not replied to me. My maintenance rep said i should not have used after market bulbs on the car but i have found no place where the manual provides such a warning.

PLEASE spare me the lecture that this was under warranty and i should have let the dealer do this. I know it was under warranty -but this seemed like a DIY level change.

If you also have had a fire or damage to your car, please contact me.

Land vehicle Vehicle World rally championship Car Rallying Vehicle Soil Car Mid-size car Subcompact car

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey - there's no other back story on the car. Lexus sent an investigator out to the site. i never touched any of the fuses - not even sure where they'd be. . The fire was definitely started in the front left quarter panel per the fire departments report and obvious area where there was the most damage. I did have a plug coverter in the cigarette lighter to charge my phone, but there was no damage or any sign of fire or heat within the compartment of the car - it was all isolated around the light compartment. It is still unfathomable to me almost a year later, that aftger changing a bulb, driving less that .5 miles (verifiable by my google location history and phone records) from a lexus dealer who confirmed they were the correct bulbs, to the mcdonalds where I ordered a milkshake, that my car could catch on fire while parked and off. Lexus was absolutely horrible blaming me but providing no details nor would they release their investigators findings. To make matter worse, they continue to mail me service reminders asking me how i like my ct200h despite calling them 4 times asking them to remove me becuase my car was lost to fire.

I will say the only company that came through for me was Sylvania who, without admitting any fault or liability, paid the gap between my lexus and the valuabtion as i I was 4000 in the hole. What did lexus do for me? sent to collections my 2,200 remaining balance tanking my credit score unwilling to give me a few extra months since i had to buy a new car completely out of pocket.

Anyone else have headlamp issues - i'd love to find out others with this issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts