Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well right now I'm at 379 w @ a quarter tank left. My daily commute is 80 miles a day due to my work. I also live in an area where I need to drive up a 2 mile incline.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's pretty good with still a 1/4 tank of gas. How many miles do you currently have on your car?

I feel that my gauge drops really quickly. I have about 500 miles on the car and I drove about 100 miles the past two day and I'm just a bit higher than 1/2 mark.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
The gauge does drop fast, unfortunately. I'm hoping after the break in period, the gauge will be more accurate. I think when it's empty, there is still 2-3 gallons of gas unaccounted for, since the total capacity is 11 gallons, i think.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm working my 2nd tank. My light came on and I drove about 20 miles before I filled up. When i did, it only took 9.242 gals until full. So I actually had approx 2.66 gals remaining.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Not surprised, after owning or experienced many Toyota/Lexus vehicles over the years, it's pretty consistent. When the light comes on, you should have about 10-11 L (or close to 3 US gallons).

Also, if you're in colder climates (like I am in Toronto - it's still around the freezing point these days!), fuel consumption (and battery efficiency) will be reduced. Combine this with the break-in period, this is the worst case scenario I'm experiencing right now, yet I'm still in my first tank and have done 280km (175 miles) with 2/3rds tank left. Computer reads 5.5 l/100km (or 43 miles/Gal) which I'm very happy with. Of course, I will validate this once I fill up against actual driving distance.

My past experiences with new cars is fuel economy will get better, as much as a 5% improvement after about 10K-15K km of driving and will stay at its peak until about 100K km where it may then slowly decline. However, this is my first Hybrid, so I could be wrong - time will tell.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The owner's manual states that there is approximately 1.8 gallons left when the light comes on. Note my earlier posting about the possible 9.9 gallon fuel tank issue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi all I'm new to this forum, and I got one of these for a little more than a week now, loving it!

But how do you guys get such low mileage? I know I'm still in my breaking in period and I'm in Toronto like Corrado, but I'm only getting 6.2L/km (and that is with a lot of highway driving!).

I've also tried to be extremely gentle on the acceleration, but it's so slow that way and I feel embarrassed blocking the cars behind me...

Do you guys use Normal or Eco mode mostly? I've tried only using Eco for a day for pure city driving, and that actually increased my fuel consumption! I guess Eco is only good for the bad rush hour bumper to bumper traffics?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is there a thread regarding the proper break in protocols? I am going to be receiving my ct200h in the coming weeks, and would like to be prepared as possible.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi all I'm new to this forum, and I got one of these for a little more than a week now, loving it!

But how do you guys get such low mileage? I know I'm still in my breaking in period and I'm in Toronto like Corrado, but I'm only getting 6.2L/km (and that is with a lot of highway driving!).

I've also tried to be extremely gentle on the acceleration, but it's so slow that way and I feel embarrassed blocking the cars behind me...

Do you guys use Normal or Eco mode mostly? I've tried only using Eco for a day for pure city driving, and that actually increased my fuel consumption! I guess Eco is only good for the bad rush hour bumper to bumper traffics?
Surely that is 6.2L/100km, right? If so, you are at 38mpg, which is pretty close to the highway rating. Also, if the weather is cold, mileage will suffer, particularly in hybrids.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm averaging about 37 MPG with mostly in town driving. However it's about what I figured it would because of a number of factors; I live on a hill, it's been in the teen's to 30 degree range for temps and the majority of my trips right now are 5 min or less so the synergy drive doesn't have time to warm up before I'm shutting it off, winter blend and 10% ethanol blend gas and it's new. It takes about 5K to get everything running up to maximum efficiency.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had mine for about a week and had 315 miles. Over lunch, I checked the distance remaining calculation since I have a decent drive after work with no time for a fillup. Anyway, the gas light had not gone off yet and the guage wasn't quite at the bottom. The miles remaining said 45 miles, though. So I got gas and the pump stopped at about 8.3 gallons? I squeezed in another $2, or about .6 gallons and got it to 8.9 gallons and don't feel I could have put in much more. I was a little shocked, but after reading these posts, it may not be too far off. I think the miles remaining calculation was probably just WAY off. FWIW, the car calculated 38.5 mpg for the first tank and if I calculate if myself (315 miles & 8.9 gallons), it comes out just over 35. Of course, don't know exactly how full the dealership filled it originally, so that could effect my calc a little. Other factors, I'm sure. I'm not concerned. Will be going through "break-in" period for a while.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have just gotten thru my 3rd fillup in my CT200H. Each time the fuel gauge read about 1/8 full when I did the refill and the miles remaining was in the 40-60 mile range. Anyway driving on all 3 tanks was a combination of highway and city driving (20 miles to and from work dailey) and pleasure driving on the weekend for shopping and other errands. I will also say I did not drive with a lead foot when accelerating.

Tank 1: 398 Miles/8.99 Gal = 44.3 MPG Normal Mode Only
Tank 2: 395 Miles/9.12 Gal = 43.3 MPG Sport Mode Only
Tank 3: 376 Miles/8.81 Gal = 42.7 MPG Eco Mode Only

Started on my 4th tank and I plan on repeating this sequence once more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
New owner here too (details later). I topped it off (extra 2 clicks past full) last Sunday and drove 329 miles here in the Atlanta, GA area. Drove almost to "E" (range said 10 miles left), then filled up tonight (5 days later). Full + 2 clicks (topped off as before) was 9.5 gallons (yielding an effective 34.6 mpg for first tank).

However, as I had a little time on my hands and no one waiting for the pump, I decided to "really" top it off until I saw gas level off in the filler tube above the little flap. Guess what - 11.0 gallons total. I got an extra 1.5 gallons in the tank. So would that mean our 11.9 gallon tank is effectively a 10.4 gallon tank?

I'm wondering. (And no, I don't plan to top if all the way up the filler tube again.)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have just gotten thru my 3rd fillup in my CT200H. Each time the fuel gauge read about 1/8 full when I did the refill and the miles remaining was in the 40-60 mile range. Anyway driving on all 3 tanks was a combination of highway and city driving (20 miles to and from work dailey) and pleasure driving on the weekend for shopping and other errands. I will also say I did not drive with a lead foot when accelerating.

Tank 1: 398 Miles/8.99 Gal = 44.3 MPG Normal Mode Only
Tank 2: 395 Miles/9.12 Gal = 43.3 MPG Sport Mode Only
Tank 3: 376 Miles/8.81 Gal = 42.7 MPG Eco Mode Only

Started on my 4th tank and I plan on repeating this sequence once more.
That's some interesting data, ECO mode is worst than Normal and Sport mode. I know the ECO mode is highly dependent on the driver's driving methods and unless you feather the throttle, you are probably making the car work harder. I would like to know if you changed your driving style when on ECO mode? I would guess not, you seem to drive a whole lot and probably don't have the patience for that (I know I don't). Never the less, great info.

·
Registered
222 Posts
i'm getting a little irritated with the discrepancy in the fuel gauge and actual fuel left in the tank. i'm going to run my current tank to the gas light and compare that with the computer's data and actual amount of gas put in the tank on the fill up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Since the gas price was going up today by 5 cents/L in the Toronto area, I filled up yesterday.

I was PLEASANTLY SURPRISED.:) Computer read 5.4L/100km, fuel gauge stated about a 1/3 left, trip was 539 km, and I filled in only 28.9 L of gas (topped up slowly with 2 final clicks)!

Doing the math, REAL-WORLD consumption is spot-on matching the computer 5.4L/100km (44 MPG), all city driving, in Normal mode, no lead-foot but no Sunday driver either.

This fantastic mileage, obtained with temperatures near freezing combined with the car not having been "broken into" yet, is an amazing feat! When the weather warms up and the car racks up over 10-15K km, averaging 50 MPG (or around 4.7L/100km) is very doable! :D:D:D

·
Registered
109 Posts
i'm getting a little irritated with the discrepancy in the fuel gauge and actual fuel left in the tank. i'm going to run my current tank to the gas light and compare that with the computer's data and actual amount of gas put in the tank on the fill up.
I believe the CT200 uses bladder type gas tanks, from my experience on the Prius when its cold, the bladder shrinks or stiffens and you will not be able to put as much gas and when its hot it will expand and more gas can be added.

Just understand your car, your gas mileage will drop when its cold and the bladder tank will not let you put in too much fuel. When you see the gas light turn on, you still have atleast 3 gallons of gas, that's atleast 120 miles to go, you should be pretty safe from running out of gas.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts