Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in northern Wisconsin for those of you that live in a same climate how have your cars handled snow and icey roads?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I live in the 'snowbelt' of Ontario, but since the car is so new, I'm not sure anyone has had it in snow yet - it only came out in March (I got mine in May). But be sure to buy snow tires for it like I have. I usually put them on towards the end of November, or when the first big storm arrives!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I hated the traction control system in my gen II and III. I fear they are using the same system in the CT. There isn't a switch to turn it off is there?

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
There are members on here who live overseas and are in winter right now (like the guy with the nice blue CT from Aussie-land)! :) (sorry, his username escapes me at the moment)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does any one owned a Prius before ? I guess that the handling in snow will be almost the same as the CT. I'm really curious too about the winter handling of the CT, as it will be probably the thing that will decide me to take it or not.

I saw some video on youtube of prius in snow, and some of them show the prius stock in snow... but the thing you never know is the kind of tires the car have. Any car will have hard time in snow storm or big snow with four-seasons tires or cheap winter tires. I beleive that the CT will really good winter tires such as Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 will have a good grip and handling in snow

Just for exemple, I went to Hashburn, VA last year, and they had 10 CM of now. I had a rental car from Montréal with now tires (cheaps one, but at least it was snow tires). I saw lot of people having hard time on the road, many accident, and most of the cars I saw had no winter tires (if I were living there I guess I would not put winter tires too, since they generally only get very low snow there...)

So I beleive that the CT should be not too bad in our weater, as long as it have very good winter tires to be able to go up a hill on icy roads as we have here all winter long.

I'll go to the dealer for a test drive during a snow storm to test the CT in real condition. If it's good then I think I'll go with it!

But if any prius owner have experience in big snow/winter storm (with 10-15 cm on the road), I would like to know your experience!

·
Registered
48 Posts
There are scores of threads on how the Prius handles in winter posted to PriusChat.com. It's an excellent resource for us CT200h drivers on many topics.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Based on my experience with a Civic Hybrid over the last 8 years, the biggest thing to get used to with a hybrid in the winter is braking. If the ABS engages for any reason, the regenerative braking turns off and you immediately go to standard braking (with ABS engaged). That moment when the braking changes from one to the other, you will feel a small surge, as if you had momentarily taken your foot off of the brake. It can be scary until you get used to it.

A co-worker with a Prius tells me that he experiences the same thing when his car goes from regenerative braking to standard braking due to ABS kicking in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had a Prius. I live in an area that gets a moderate amount of snow. I had three problems with Prius: the clock kept falling out and down inside the dashboard, it was mud ugly, and it wouldn't go anywhere in the snow. Scared me to death more than once.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Living here in Calgary we have had bothsnow and very cold, -35C, temps, the car has been great. The OEM tires are no tthe best for snow and seem to turn more firm in the very cold weather. We have not had more then 10cm of snow on the roads this winter but I do worry about a 20-30cm snow storm with drifting and trying to move through it without getting highsided with the air flow under plastic undercoating

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a Prius. 2010 G3 IV. I've had NO ISSUES in the snow. Ice is a different matter, but then again....it's ice!

About 2 weeks ago, I drove to Knoxville, TN from the Cincinnati region and was met with a freak snowstorm on my way home just past Jellico Mountain ... some of you will know where that is and the propensity for bad weather that closes the road during the winter. The road ws completely covered with snow. Everyone slowed to a crawl (~40 mph) and stayed that way for about 2 hours. I had no problem with climbing or decending hills as long as I drove "smart".

The downside was that it took longer to get home. The upside was that I got 56 mpg.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts