Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I was trying to replace the fog lights on my CT today and was following the instructions on page 576 of the manual. There are supposedly two screws, one bolt and one clip to remove on each side. I couldn't remove the clip, which looks bigger than the clips in the hood, for some reason. I tried pushing the middle in like the other clips, but it wouldn't budge. I tried prying it out, and I did find a groove in the middle of the clip that can loosen the clip a bit, but I wasn't able to take it out either. I was afraid that I would break the clip if I pry it out with a screwdriver, so I used my finger instead. I ended up with two bloody thumbs from nail coming off :S So my question is, how the heck do you take this clip off? Any help is much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
If this plastic is the shroud you are talking about it can be moved fairly easily to access the fog lamps

after the screws and bolt have been removed

The clip on the side of the fender is pried out with a screw driver

It's easier if you jack up the front of the car

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks audi4t for your reply. That's exactly the clip I was talking about. I just tried it again after taking off the screws and bot and still couldn't pry the clip out. I tried prying it from the middle of the clip, between the two overlapping plastic pieces - nothing seem to work for me. Right now the clip might have been loosen up a bit from all the prying... I think for the driver's side, I'll just reach down from the top and change it (I have an arm thin enough to do that). But for the passenger's side, reaching down is out of the question and I still have to do it the documented way. If you could please give me more tips on the prying process for that clip, it would be very much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
If you break the clip prying it out they are only a few cents to replace.

Once release the cover is flexible enough to bend out of the way and get your arm in to replace the bulb.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It is a 5 minute per side job. You don't really even need to jack up the car. Just crank the wheels the opposite way. Undo the bolt in the corner and remove the two clips in the wheel well. As others have said just bend the black plastic out of the way and reach your arm in there. It is a pretty easy job.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone who replied to this thread with info. I just had my first service so I had the dealer lift my car and show me how to remove that stupid black clip. He used a thin screw driver to remove it easily. I just gotten around to try it myself and a thin flat screw driver did not work too well when I am lying down on the floor. I used a thick flat screw driver instead and was able to remove the clip without too much trouble. It does take some brute force to remove, but it seems the clip can take some serious prying.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Is it possible to use this method to access peek inside and replace a HID ballast that is mounted to the black plastic around the fog? Or would I need to remove the bumper again?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it possible to use this method to access peek inside and replace a HID ballast that is mounted to the black plastic around the fog? Or would I need to remove the bumper again?
IMHO it might pose a challenge. The opening is not big and the angle isn't ideal even for peeking in. Without jacking up the car, I can't see anything much with a LED flashlight and I changed the bulb with one hand based solely on feel.

·
Registered
486 Posts
IMHO it might pose a challenge. The opening is not big and the angle isn't ideal even for peeking in. Without jacking up the car, I can't see anything much with a LED flashlight and I changed the bulb with one hand based solely on feel.
Bah! Looks like I need to take off the bumper to replace a foglight ballast
Thanks!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts