Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I got my CT last November and a few weeks later installed cute little Lexus knock-off valve caps (like these Lexus Black Tire Valve Caps CT200h RX350 4 | eBay) and when I got to my 8000km maintenance, I got the winter tires removed and at the dealership they say that the valve cap got fused to the valve and they could not get them out.

The Dremel 3 out of 4 out correctly, but I had to pay for the fourth one as they could not get it out without damaging the sensor.

Now, these are only little caps, I can't understand how they could do some harm... am I getting screwed there?
Couldn't they removed them without a Dremel?

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Sadly it's one of those things you'd wished you'd known about a while ago :(

Normal valve caps are plastic so there's not a problem. However, metal threaded caps can weld themselves to the metal threads on the valves. The answer is to give them a twist every few weeks to loosen them. Just undoing them half a turn or so and then tightening again is what's needed to stop the metal in the caps from getting intimate with the metal in the valve.

And you've just reminded me I need to do the same on my anti-theft valve caps !

PS I have a similar problem in my house, I need to do a Big Job to replace something because I can't undo bolts to let me sort it out with a Little Job. The nuts have rusted to the screws ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
609 Posts
Wow, I did not know this! I wonder how they got fused.. it can't be the heat since it was winter. So it is the snow and rust?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
94 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
midijab has the right answer :p I had to replace a couple of those in my grand-ma's house a few years back. :p Dremel was the tool I had to use... So now I do understand this fusing problem better... thanks for the tip midijab!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys,


Little update from me. He did had to Dremel off the caps that were fused to the valve. However, the two valves on the right side of the car were loosing air, so I went back and he changed the spring in them for free and it's now been 5 days and the pressure seems to be holding. I'll check it with my manometer just to be sure, but it feels right for now.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top