Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious, as you are coming to a stop sign or stop light will hitting the EV button get you better mileage since, doesn't it take a lot of fuel to go forward from a complete stop? Assuming you have enough juice each time, let the electric motor propel the car with forward momentum then the ICE will kick in at 20+ mph. Or does the car automatically do this anyway?

I'm not able to get good data since I drive about 90% highway, just curious if anyone has tried this.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yep - car does this automatically, as long as you don't floor it too much :cool:

It's actually easier as a hybrid. A motor will give maximum torque from 0 rpm. An engine has to be humming above its idle to deliver any power. The clutch then slips to match that 1000+ engine rpm to 0 rpm at the wheels.

So our CTs are happier pulling away on the motor, with the engine kicking in around the time your clutch pedal would be totally released in a manual.

Hitting the EV button might actually get you better mileage, depending on what else is going on. I think it cuts out the heater, so you'd be getting cold/hot/cold/hot as the heater went on and off. I suspect it would be low %'s though if any improvement as what the car does on its own is probably better for start/stop than what we'd do. (Although I would say that some of the hybrid system behaviour is not 100% right)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have used this technique, although I have no idea how much it improved the MPG. I do it because in normal EV I find it almost impossible to accelerate from a stop at a reasonable rate without the engine coming on. In EV, you can only depress the accelerator until the ECO gauge is pointing to the label 'ECO' before the engine turns on. In EV mode, you can depress the accelerator until the EVO gauge points to the label 'Power'. Of course, once you get to 25mph, the engine comes on anyway. I don't understand why the system doesn't always allow you to accelerate as if you are in the EV mode (assuming sufficient battery charge).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts