Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we all know the CT200H like the Prius has two batteries, a 12 Volt like all cars which powers lights and aux equipment and the gasoline engine and a high voltage lithium ion battery which drives the electrical motor part of our hybrid. An issue for many is how long the high voltage lithium ion battery, which I will call the hybrid battery, will last as it is rather expensive, USD $1000.+, to replace. I recently learned that a major key to how long the hybrid battery will last is keeping it from over heating. Makes sense to me that if the battery overheats then it will be degraded if not damaged. And if it continues to overheat it will eventually die. Apparently, if one can believe the internet stories, a key component to keeping the battery temperatures within reason is a cooling fan located on the right side of the car behind the passenger seat. There is an air intake vent by the right hand passenger's seat. If this vent is covered or closed off the battery can easily overheat. Further dust, dirt, pet's animal hair or whatever can be sucked down into the fan and cause it to lose it's cooling capacity or fail. Apparently latest model Prius have an air filter to keep the fan clean. Is this true for the CT200H as well? And if not, why not. My understanding is that if the battery is NOT subjected to overheating it can easily last 200K-300K or more miles. And apparently cleaning the fan is now being included as a service albeit a rather expensive one, USD $350 or more.

·
Registered
2016 Blue Lexus CT200h F-Sport
34 Posts
I have never seen or heard of any mention about a hybrid battery fan filter, only to keep the vent clear and unblocked. I suppose you could add a filter to the vent grill itself, which would probably look tacky, but it seems like a good idea that makes sense, especially for certain driving/living conditions (bad air quality, fires, dusty roads, etc)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I actually made a filter myself by cutting a cabin air filter to shape. Will take pictures if i remember to :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
A $350 service every 90k miles isn't too bad. You can also do it yourself if so inclined.

If you carry pets, maybe some fly-screen on the back side of the grill will help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I actually made a filter myself by cutting a cabin air filter to shape. Will take pictures if i remember to :)
That adds restriction to a system that wasn't designed for it. Have you done a comparison of the airlow filtered grill off and on to make sure its comparative?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts