Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is a good thread on how to put a mini USB SD card in the USB slot, however, I like the features that the audio system has to access my iPhone's songs, playlists, podcasts etc. from the stereo audio controls when connected via USB (I have a non-Nav system). But I don't like having the USB compartment open and cables running out of it.

Has anyone managed to put an iPod Nano (latest generation - 6th) into the USB/Power compartment along with the necessary (short cables), connect it and close the compartment?

I don't have an iPod nano but the dimensions seems to be small enough 1.48 x 1.61 x 1.35.

Also I found a short IPod cable:

Short iPad, iPod Cables, iPhone Retractable Cables, Splitters, Car & Wall Chargers for iPod, iPhone and Zune

and a 90 degree USB adapter since I believe the lid will not close without one:

90 degree Left Right angle USB 2.0 extension cord 10cm | eBay

So I hate to buy all this and it not work so if anyone has any experience or comments it would be welcomed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've been looking into this, not because I have a nano, but because I like to plug in my iPhone to charge, and I don't like managing the USB cable.

I already had the retractable cord, so I thought I'd give it a try -- no go, just with the cable. I'll look a little more closely to see if the problem is the connector or the spool and let you know.

I'm also thinking that the right-angle connector won't work for me because it's an extension cord. You still have to have another USB cable on the end, and it looks like it might even have to be a mini-to-A style USB cable at that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i wanted to hide an ipod in the car somewhere too, but i wasnt planning to buy an ipod nano since i have a few ipod touches arleady, i was thinking of drilling a hole inside the compartment and letting out a usb extension that goes into the arm rest compartment, this way i woudlnt need to unplug the ipod everytime i leave the car, i cant see myself buying a nano just to put into that small spot...

i know some ppl have relocated the usb cable, but i was thinking of just leaving the usb slot there still, and have the extension go thru there.. not sure, since i dont have my car yet.. but thats what ive been thinking

·
Registered
146 Posts
Come check out this thread http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/lexus-ct200h-general-discussion-forum/118444-moving-usb-port.html

It is possible to leave that USB there to keep the full OEM look.

You would just have to leave the power wires going to it, all the data wires would have to be pulled out of the back of it and spliced into a USB extension (doesn't matter what it is as long as one end has a plug for whatever device you're using.

The power wires would have to be spliced for the USB cable as well, I'd assume it'd be OK to take power from the cigarette lighter source. Then run that new USB cable back and under the radio, and into the glove compartment.

You would then have 2 USB inputs in the car. The first one (the OEM one) would provide you power for charging your devices, while the 2nd one (the hidden one) would do what the OEM USED to do. Giving you a hidden iPod (how it should have always been)...

I keep telling myself I'm going to do this but haven't gotten around to it yet..I bought the USB extender and have already pulled apart all the wires within.. One day.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Outside Mount

The Nano doesn't fit in that compartment. No way no how. It's just too thick, cables excluded. Maybe you could remove the underside of the cover to gain more space.

The right angle USB adapters stand too tall. Regular cords are round and thick.

Here is what I came up with. Maybe not the absolute cheapest but it works. ($11)

I purchased this gadget from Amazon and cracked off the plastic housing. I was left with a SHORT FLAT cable with a LOW PROFILE right angle USB. This allowed me to close the door on the cable. The Nano is attached to the cover with sticky tack. (holds well, removes instantly with no residue and withstands Houston heat)

Amazon.com: Scosche IPUSBM flipSYNC Keychain USB Charge and Sync Cable for iPod and iPhone: MP3 Players & Accessories

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great idea...just have find me some sticky tack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts