Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to know what "reliable" hid kits are out there for this car. Dont mind paying more as long as it last. Thanks.

·
Registered
270 Posts

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Kensun are great!

First HID is a significant and worthwhile improvement over the OEM Halogen bulbs.

I had DDM and it kept misfiring so I went to Kensun and it installed easily and has not failed once. The H11 lights have 3 tabs with one being wider, do you can only put it in one way. My tabs on the Kensun were tight, but i compared them to the OEM lights and visually they look the same size. Even if you have to shave the tabs slightly it is no big deal ..a one time adjustment. The wires that connect to the original light socket are just blades, not a connector but I also don't feel this is an issue. I am very pleased with the Kensun; I returned the DDM for a full refund.

Now light colors = On the Kensun I went with 35W 4300K and it exactly matches the color of the LED DRLs. I also installed Sylvania Ultra white Halogen fog lights but they have a slightly yellow tinge compared to the HIDS and DRLs. ( I have pictures posted in other threads).

Before I had 6000k 55w DDMs and they were white with a bluish tinge. They made the DRL lights look yellowish and the fogs really yellow. However, they lit the road awesome with a crisp white look; that is the only thing I miss about DDM which was plagued with misfires. I even tried the DDM relay harness and a capacitive discharge system and neither fixed the misfire situations. When the lights worked they were great but you almost had to stop you car everytime you turn them on to make sure both lights were on; very frustrating.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, I guess Kensun it is. By the way, both the low beam and the fogs are H11 right? I find it kind of weird that the fog light is the same size as the low beam. Usually they are lot smaller

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Btw, so if I get 2 H11 hid kits, could I use one for low beam and one for the fogs? What would be of concern for this setup? Thank you.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Btw, so if I get 2 H11 hid kits, could I use one for low beam and one for the fogs? What would be of concern for this setup? Thank you.
No concerns other than having to install two kits instead of one :)

I'm going to do this:
Kensun 4300K 35w H11 - low beams
Kensun 3000K 35w H11 - fogs

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again. In that case, Iam thinking of doing this setup:

55W 10000K H11 low beams
55W 6000K H9 High beams
35w 8000k H11 fog

What do you think?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Try to check out a car with 10000k and 8000k lights.
it gets very purple/blue when you go past 8k

also, i don't think there is really a point to doing the high beams, as they are hardly ever used, and there might be a problem if you flash them.

55W 10000K H11 low beams
55W 6000K H9 High beams
35w 8000k H11 fog

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
875 Posts

55W 10000K H11 low beams
55W 6000K H9 High beams
35w 8000k H11 fog

What do you think?
I wouldn't do the high beams.

The 6000K is white with a tinge of blue really lights the road nice, but makes the DRLs look yellowish. 4300K is white and exactly matches DRLs; doesn't light the road as crisp as the 6000K.

8000k would be blue and almost attract police
10000 k would be purple and usually attracts police.

My rec for you: 55W 6000K low beams, 35W 6000k fogs.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I wouldn't do the high beams.

The 6000K is white with a tinge of blue really lights the road nice, but makes the DRLs look yellowish. 4300K is white and exactly matches DRLs; doesn't light the road as crisp as the 6000K.

8000k would be blue and almost attract police
10000 k would be purple and usually attracts police.

My rec for you: 55W 6000K low beams, 35W 6000k fogs.
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't want to be driving in front of him with the setup he was thinking!

Even 6000K for both is pretty aggressive, but likely tolerable to him if he was contemplating 10000K.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess I'll forget about the high beams and have 55W 8000k low beam and 35w 8000k.

Maybe because I live in a small town, I used to have a set of 55w 12000k and have driven with it for 3 years without a single issue with the police.

Thanks guys for the inputs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
For those of you who have used a conversion kit before, how long do these products last? Do the ballast, bulb go bad quickly because of cheap Chinese made quality? Your knowledge is much appreciated!

·
Registered
486 Posts
For those of you who have used a conversion kit before, how long do these products last? Do the ballast, bulb go bad quickly because of cheap Chinese made quality? Your knowledge is much appreciated!
I've had my original mcculloch hid kit last for a VERY long time.
I had it in a Civic for 2-3 years, then in an Altima for 4 years (I just bought new cheap ebay bulbs that fit).

But then again I've heard of people's kits dying after a year or two.

I think newer modern kits should easily last 4 years as long as they are installed properly and not just hanging around

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’ve had a conversion running for 4+ years. Might be longer but I don’t have that car any longer. The one in my CT is only a few months old. I’ve done conversions for other people over the past 3 or 4 years and they are still running.
I noticed that someone was considering HID for the high beam. HID will work ok in projector headlights, the low beam on the CT. If you put them in reflector housings (like the CT’s high beam) there’s excessive light scattering and it would blind on-coming drivers. There are retrofit bi-xenon kits but the good ones are not plug and play.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi you doing Midcow3? I have installed the same Kensun kit as you did. Two weeks down the road, the kit misfired in Auto mode twice during cold start, and the outdoor temperature was low. Did you ever have any problems with your Kensun? Is it something that a relay harness can solve? It is definitely not as bad as DDM, but I wish it never happened.

I actually traced back to see where Kensun got the ballasts from. It is a Electrical Company in ShenZhen, China, like all of the other brands. Anyway, the Kensun picked model claims to have a start up Amp <=7A, which is pretty good for a slim model. They do have even better models these days that have start up Amp <= 5A. The company claims that the lower the start up Amp, the less problematic it will be (flickering, fail to fire up, etc).

Anyway, just some thing I found interesting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts