Lexus CT200h Forums banner

61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Successfully installed today.
DDM Tuning 35W 4500K HID Kit
Looks great. I have the exact same kit on mine and the brightness at night is awsome specially when driving through low lit neighborhood.

I also have PIAA 2500K yellow fog light and the combination with the HID is amazing to see at night. Although might not be so good for on-coming cars.:D

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Still Having HID problems

Well the "lifetime" support means you have to package your lights, etc. and pay for shipping $13.62 and be without your lights for a period of time until they receive the lights, etc. and send a replacement. This is not a good customer service policy! They should send replacement and then you ship back the original with their pre-paid shipping sticker, because lifetime warranty, to me, means they will never fail, or at least very unlikely will ever fail and it they do it's thier nickel to fix.

I am thinking of buying a second set... hopefully I wouldn't be throwing away another $78.57

My driver's side HID does not fire consistantly either in Auto or Manual on-off. This greatly bothers me.

It doesn't seem to be ballast dependent,

:eek: Caveat Emptor on DDM HIDs :eek:

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
John Sharp in email communication

Well the "lifetime" support means you have to package your lights, etc. and pay for shipping $13.62 and be without your lights for a period of time until they receive the lights, etc. and send a replacement. This is not a good customer service policy! They should send replacement and then you ship back the original with their pre-paid shipping sticker, because lifetime warranty, to me, means they will never fail, or at least very unlikely will ever fail and it they do it's thier nickel to fix.

I am thinking of buying a second set... hopefully I wouldn't be throwing away another $78.57

My driver's side HID does not fire consistantly either in Auto or Manual on-off. This greatly bothers me.

It doesn't seem to be ballast dependent,

:eek: Caveat Emptor on DDM HIDs :eek:
John Sharp in email communication about the problem; this is good.

Distributor of DDM HIDs is Sharp HID

·
Registered
152 Posts
It's interesting that some people are experiencing this issue. I haven't had any issues with mine yet running in auto mode. midcow, how long have you been running your set up?

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
midcow - I just received my order return email from DDM (2 weeks after calling and emailing them)! I wouldn't just go and buy a whole new set. Why not just pinpoint if it's your ballast or bulb and temporarily put your OEM halogens in while getting the part replaced under warranty? Yeah, it sucks, but you won't be spending a lot more $. Will they reimburse for the shipping? If not, that's complete BS....a warranty is a warranty, right? The other option is to see how much it would cost to buy just the new part you need?

Good luck & sorry to hear about your HID issues.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've got the DDM kit too. A couple of times, the passenger side has failed to fire. However, this only happens if I turn on the lights immediately after turning on the car (within a few seconds). If I wait a little longer, it always fires up fine.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
It's interesting that some people are experiencing this issue. I haven't had any issues with mine yet running in auto mode. midcow, how long have you been running your set up?
Only a couple of weeks; problem occurred almost from the start!

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I've got the DDM kit too. A couple of times, the passenger side has failed to fire. However, this only happens if I turn on the lights immediately after turning on the car (within a few seconds). If I wait a little longer, it always fires up fine.
H'mmm - Thanks for the info dgstan

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
midcow - I just received my order return email from DDM (2 weeks after calling and emailing them)! I wouldn't just go and buy a whole new set. Why not just pinpoint if it's your ballast or bulb and temporarily put your OEM halogens in while getting the part replaced under warranty? Yeah, it sucks, but you won't be spending a lot more $. Will they reimburse for the shipping? If not, that's complete BS....a warranty is a warranty, right? The other option is to see how much it would cost to buy just the new part you need?

Good luck & sorry to hear about your HID issues.
Jimmyc13,

Thanks for the feedback. The way I understand there is no reimbursement for shipping.

Take care man and thanks for you empathy; I am glad you problem went away. I am sorry I somehow got off on the wrong foot with you, you are a class guy.

dgstan said something about not turning on immediately; This seems to be when it fails ..this may be a work around.

I don't drive that much at night either. I was going to run with my lights on in the daytime because HIDs are so cool, but you know the DRL are pretty snazzy on their own!

Take Care,

MidCow3

·
Registered
52 Posts
just my take on this...

I've been waiting and reading and watching and now I am going to post my 2 cents! First off, this is a great way to go from halogen "wimpy" lights to INCREDIBLE HID lights that are a vast improvement. Next Lexus should have put them on the car, but that is a whole other story in and of itself.

Second, this is a rather modest (75 to 100 dollar) investment as opposed of having this done professionally which could run in to the low to mid hundreds of dollars. If you do not like it, well, not much ventured, tear them out and go back to the halogens.

Having said all that, I really like mine. Have I had issues? Sure I have had some. I drive to work at 3 in the morning and depend daily on a good output of light to avoid deer, drunks and other things that "go bump in the night." I have found that a few (30 to 45) second "warm up" of the car goes a long way to ensuring that both bulbs fire off. I have taken up to checking before I drive out of the drive way just about every morning. Is that a hassle? Yeah, but again at about 65 to 75 dollars, not much hassle for the improvement in the light. Should I be disapointed, yeah a bit. Might it be solved by a "direct" line into the lights themselves? Yeah possibly, but that may or may not be what is needed and do I want to string yet more electrical "lines" through the engine compartment? Again, if I really want to I can go back to halogens in less than 45 minutes and have everything virtually the way it was before, but I sure do like the light from the HIDs.

I have checked the connections and the ballast positions in the engine compartment and everything seems very sound. Right now I am pretty happy but ....

Lastly, would I do it again? Yeah probably I would! Every "Upper End" car, like a Lexus SHOULD have HIDs.

Ok, off my soapbox!

:)

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Possible solution

I had been running my HID lights in "AUTO" with the fogs always on. When it switched on it was 55W draw to HID and 55W draw to fogs.

Intermittently, the driver's side HID would not fire.

Turned fogs off and now it works almost all the time; non-firing is much less.

I can live with this fix :) (I passed it on to John Sharp).

·
Registered
76 Posts
I purchased the DDM 35W 5000K kit with wire harness. I am having the same issue as some that the driver side will not fire up in auto sometimes. I will fire up almost all the time if it is already dark outside, just starting the car and the headlights are in auto. But, it will not fire up when you are driving and go in a tunnel or parking garage and the lights turn on since it is dark. The driver side will not fire up. I have checked all my connections and have installed the relay harness. Any suggestions? Or do HID kits not like the auto setting?

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Interesting u have the relay harness installed and still experience the problem. I have the harness in my garage still haven't installed it yet.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am not sure why the driver side is not firing up. It seems like it is the same side that people are having problems with. I figured with a 12 V source that I would not be running this problem.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I am not sure why the driver side is not firing up. It seems like it is the same side that people are having problems with. I figured with a 12 V source that I would not be running this problem.
BTW - Every time one of mine doesn't fire, it's the passenger side.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
BTW - Every time one of mine doesn't fire, it's the passenger side.
Well I have a harness on order but it doesn't sound like it will help. Then I thought the problem might be the 55W but 35W also has the problem. It is beginning to sound more like a DDM design problem to me! So the answer is misfire is the NORM. :(:(

·
Registered
116 Posts
does anyone have instruction how to install the relay kit?? cuz the battery is all the way in the back, how do we connect it??

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
There should be a way to tap into the battery from the fuse box in the front.

61 - 80 of 115 Posts