Lexus CT200h Forums banner

HID Installation Quirks and Fixes. (TRS)

7K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  NewShockerGuy 
#1 ·
I may go back, take photos, and post an entire DIY, but generally speaking the process of installing an HID kit is a no-brainer. Regardless, there seem to be some quirks with the process, and the problems people are having with their installation.

Problem: Headlights flicker when turning on.
Solution: Use a relay harness, which is cheap and solves the problem immediately.

Problem: When the relay harness is used, neither -or- only one headlight will fire. -OR- Auto-On function does not work with Relay.
Solution: Locate the relay harness on the passenger side. The OEM ***Passenger-Side headlight harness*** is the only side that will correctly activate the relay and allow both lights to fire up 100% of the time. Plugging in the on/off relay input using the driver's side will result in occassional misfires of the driver's side bulb, and/or complete failure of the lights to activate.

Problem: When using "The Retrofit Source" (TRS) standard Xenon bulbs, the light output is blocked in the middle of each

Solution: The upgraded bulbs: H11: XB35 4300K are required for the CT200h (and Prius), as the ground connector on the standard bulbs will cause a dim spot in the light output. On the XB35 model (Only at TRS) the ground is on the opposite side of the bulb, therefore the light output is 100% of capacity.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
two things: (1) the Morimoto relay harness is very quality
and pretty hassle-free to install. Hook the positive to the extended battery positive under the hood. make sure you have a good ground connection for each HID ballast for the relay harness. (2) Auto is just a sensor that trips the headlight relay. If you are having problems with "Auto" you might have other problems that a relay harness won't fix. The only time a relay harness will help is if the circuit your headlights is on is overloaded with too many other active devices. Usually problems perceived to be an "Auto" problem turn out to be a marginal ballast. To OP, sorry your encountered all the quirks you listed; I have not really seen any of those quirks with the Morimoto HID and Morimoto relay system.

#5 ·
The battery is in the trunk. Next to the fuse box under the front hood is a direct connect to the positive of the starter battery that can be used for directly connecting to positive terminal up to an including jump starting the battery. This where you would hook your relay harness.

#8 ·
I may go back, take photos, and post an entire DIY, but generally speaking the process of installing an HID kit is a no-brainer. Regardless, there seem to be some quirks with the process, and the problems people are having with their installation.

Problem: When the relay harness is used, neither -or- only one headlight will fire. -OR- Auto-On function does not work with Relay.
Solution: Locate the relay harness on the passenger side. The OEM Passenger-Side headlight harness is the only side that will correctly activate the relay and allow both lights to fire up 100% of the time. Plugging in the on/off relay input using the driver's side will result in occassional misfires of the driver's side bulb, and/or complete failure of the lights to activate.
This is an interesting solution. Is this 100% verified? I can't understand why the passenger side would be the side that activates the relay reliably? I'm going to be doing my harness here shortly but came back to this post and was wondering if there was 100% true to having to use the passenger side? All cars I've ever done have always been on the driver side. It's fine if that is the case here. But just interested to know how they came about with determining the the passenger side was in fact the side that fires it up?

-Nigel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.