Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may go back, take photos, and post an entire DIY, but generally speaking the process of installing an HID kit is a no-brainer. Regardless, there seem to be some quirks with the process, and the problems people are having with their installation.

Problem: Headlights flicker when turning on.
Solution: Use a relay harness, which is cheap and solves the problem immediately.

Problem: When the relay harness is used, neither -or- only one headlight will fire. -OR- Auto-On function does not work with Relay.
Solution: Locate the relay harness on the passenger side. The OEM ***Passenger-Side headlight harness*** is the only side that will correctly activate the relay and allow both lights to fire up 100% of the time. Plugging in the on/off relay input using the driver's side will result in occassional misfires of the driver's side bulb, and/or complete failure of the lights to activate.

Problem: When using "The Retrofit Source" (TRS) standard Xenon bulbs, the light output is blocked in the middle of each

Solution: The upgraded bulbs: H11: XB35 4300K are required for the CT200h (and Prius), as the ground connector on the standard bulbs will cause a dim spot in the light output. On the XB35 model (Only at TRS) the ground is on the opposite side of the bulb, therefore the light output is 100% of capacity.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Having issues with the auto on once in a while but it seems quite a hassle to put on the relay harness. Hmmm what to do what to do...

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Having issues with the auto on once in a while but it seems quite a hassle to put on the relay harness. Hmmm what to do what to do...
two things: (1) the Morimoto relay harness is very quality
and pretty hassle-free to install. Hook the positive to the extended battery positive under the hood. make sure you have a good ground connection for each HID ballast for the relay harness. (2) Auto is just a sensor that trips the headlight relay. If you are having problems with "Auto" you might have other problems that a relay harness won't fix. The only time a relay harness will help is if the circuit your headlights is on is overloaded with too many other active devices. Usually problems perceived to be an "Auto" problem turn out to be a marginal ballast. To OP, sorry your encountered all the quirks you listed; I have not really seen any of those quirks with the Morimoto HID and Morimoto relay system.

·
Registered
123 Posts
two things: (1) the Morimoto relay harness is very quality
and pretty hassle-free to install. Hook the positive to the extended battery positive under the hood. make sure you have a good ground connection for each HID ballast fro the relay harness. (2) Auto is just a sensor that trips the headlight relay. If you are having problems with "Auto" you might have other problems that a relay harness won't fix. The only time a relay harness will help is if the circuit your headlights is on is overloaded with too many other active devices. Usually problems perceived to be an "Auto" problem turn out to be a marginal ballast. To OP, sorry your encountered all the quirks you listed; I have not really seen any of those quirks with the Morimoto HID and Morimoto relay system.
I'm pretty sure that is the problem. Just too many things turning on at once. I only have issue with auto when it is turning on as the car is turning on. Never fails when headlights come on if the car is already on. In fact, when I do have a misfire, I just have to turn it off and on again and everything is good to go. I thought the battery was in the trunk? I'll go look up how to install the harness on the ct. Maybe it's not as bad as I thought.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
The battery is in the trunk. Next to the fuse box under the front hood is a direct connect to the positive of the starter battery that can be used for directly connecting to positive terminal up to an including jump starting the battery. This where you would hook your relay harness.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The battery is in the trunk. Next to the fuse box under the front hood is a direct connect to the positive of the starter battery that can be used for directly connecting to positive terminal up to an including jump starting the battery. This where you would hook your relay harness.
Thanks for the heads up. I always thought I needed to get it hooked up to the trunk so I never gave it much thought.

·
Banned
325 Posts
Its really a very fruitful thread for me. I learn about the HID problems and also learn how to solve it. Its really a new thing for me because i never learn about its installation. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts