Lexus CT200h Forums banner

HID Installation -- How Difficult and How Long?

7K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  tw121 
#1 ·
Hello,
Does anyone have any pics on how to install a HID system into the CT?
Also, about how long does this take?

Thank You.

#3 ·
Well let's see, I installed DDM's first time all new to me went slow and cautious, probably about 1 1/2 hours. They failed periodically, so I went back and installed capacitive discharge system and relay harness; more proficient now took me maybe 45 minutes. The DDM HIDs still failed periodically. The DDMs I chose were 55w 6000k very white with a hint of blue; lit the road very nice, but made the DRL LEDs look yellow. DDM couldn't figure out a way to make the lights not fail. :mad:

Everyone had good experience with Kensun , so I ordered Kensun. Took me 30 minutes to unistall the relay harness( it was DDM and HARD FAILED) , and install the Kensun 35W 4300K ( 4300K perfectly matches the DRL LEDs and they still look white). Total install the third time about 30 minutes and ABSOLUTELY NO FAILURES OR MISFIRES WITH KENSUN.

Make sure you get a good brand of HIDs ! :)

P.S. - Get some industrial velcro and mount ballasts with it - easy, quick, and secure :)

#4 ·
To answer your question, there are some pics and instructions around here somewhere. Try searching. They might be in one of the other sub-forums, so check there if you can't find them.

#5 ·
The kit is practically plug and play. Just remember when connecting the light bulb the red wire of the kit goes with the purple wire of the OEM wire harness. I use cable ties to secure the ballasts and it works well. And one more thing... DON'T go with DDM kit as it has know problem with misfires. I'm getting passenger side misfires every time after a cold start and with auto feature on. I learned to live with turning the light off and back on which always fix the problem. I would recommend getting a quality kit.

#6 ·
Here was the original HID install thread: ( for some reason the forum search does not find this; sometimes the search doesn't work very well:confused: )
http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/le...nstalled-slim-hid-kit-w-pics.html#post1633898

BensCT makes very good recommendations: red wire goes to purple wire on OEM connector to original light harness.

As BensCT said make it neat with wire ties.

Use industrial strength velcro to secure Ballast as Audi4CT says.

It is easy to get to the passenger headlight after you move the Engine coolant reservoir (two 10mmm bolts).,

Very easy un-plug then plug. no wire cutting

Very easy.

========

But make sure you get a reliable brand of HIDs. I and others have had very good luck with Kensun HID conversion kits. I had previously installed DDM 55W 6000K HIDs and had misfire problems and replaced them with Kensun 35W 4300K HIDs. Some others on the forum have installed DDMs and had no problems and many others have had misfire problems with DDM. I worked over a month with DDM trying to get the problem resolved, including installing a relay harness on their recommendation. Their last recommendation which I did not implement was to try their full size ballast instead of their slim ballast.

Look for H11 bulbs the temperature determines the color

3000K temperature is golden yellow (good fog light color)
4300K temperature is ultra-white and matches the DRLs perfectly
5000K is crystal white
6000K is white with a hint of blue, makes the DRLs look yellowish
10,000K is blue
15,000K is purple

#8 ·
I would highly recommend Kensun because I too installed and uninstalled DDM kit due to misfired with auto function. All took about 30-40 min to do as I also used corrugated cable conduits to wrapped around the cables and made it looked professional installation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.