Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another failure on the HID conversion

DDM when I got the car in 2011 They failed from the start. DDM was a neophyte then and didn't have a clue as to what to do to resolve the problem. I replaced with Kensun 6000K 35W and they ran good until last week, almost 2 year 5 months. There was an occasional misfire, but they turned on correctly 95% of the time. Last week the left light failed and never would fire.

So I ordered Morimoto, 55W, 6000k with relay harness. The relay harness is not necessary ( I will be glad to discuss ad infinitum with anyone who has a high enough electronics intelligence level to fully understand the ballasts and negative current and what actually takes place to cause arcing in the lights). Having said that and since I have it ( comes with Morimotos) and it is only a couple more minutes to install it, I will install it.
Concerning light coloration, I like 6000K best especially 55 watts which smartly light the road in white. 4300 k will exactly match your LED lights and give you aesthetic matched look (doesn’t light the road as well though).
I also chose LED fog lights for looks not lighting. Actually the available LED fog lights put out very little road light and are for show only. The ones I have are JD Toys Xenon White SMS-96 and are supposed to be Xenon White: actually I think they are more on the order of 8000K because of their white-purple tint.

Installation is easy: undo pop-rivets, get some industrial strength Velcro to secure the ballasts and you are all set.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bad luck. This mod isn't high on my list but if I ever do it I'm going to go Morimoto from the start thanks to all the reviews on here.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry to hear about the bad luck. This mod isn't high on my list but if I ever do it I'm going to go Morimoto from the start thanks to all the reviews on here.
Leonard, thanks for your condolences. You have made some really great mods. You should reconsider, the HID light conversion it is awesome. The process to switch out is very straight forward, easy, and is completely reversible; but once you see the light difference you won't

·
Registered
486 Posts
+1 for Morimoto.

I've had Kensun garbage and always had misfire issues with headlights as well as fogs.
Went through multiple bulbs and ballasts, no fix.

Once I got the morimoto, I have not yet had a single misfire. And this winter has been extremely cold compared to anything in the last 5 years.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW Morimoto is Awesome

WOW the Morimoto quality is awesome. ;) I have had DDM and Kensun before and the quality and fitment is so much better. They coast a little more, $150, but well worth it. The cost includes a relay harness, two 55 watt ballasts, two H11 6000k bulbs.

I ordered them using Headlights_Quick on Amazon. It is great ordering through Amazon Prime, fast, quick, painless.

Headlights_Quickhas great customer service. Their direct URL is HID Ballasts | HID Bulbs | Projector Headlights - Headlights Quick If you don't want to pay the Morimoto price, thy are coming out with their own HIDs, TEXENON which they will stand behind 100%.

MidCow3

·
Registered
688 Posts
Midcow3,

Say I was going to get the 4300K for a 2011 CT, could you please link me to the exact right setup? I'm surprised that they don't have one of those "select your car, we'll show you the right kit" type of search functions on their website. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Midcow3,

Say I was going to get the 4300K for a 2011 CT, could you please link me to the exact right setup? I'm surprised that they don't have one of those "select your car, we'll show you the right kit" type of search functions on their website. Thanks!
Leonar40,
The color 4300 is a good choice, it matches the LED color perfectly. Go to Amazon and buy through them. Select H11 lights and the only options are 35 W or 55W (brighter). Price =$150 plus tax, no shipping cost. Here are the links at Amazon:

35 w , H11, 4300k =
Amazon.com: Morimoto 35 Watt HID Conversion Kit with HD Relay Harness 4300K H11 bulbs -H11 Relay Harness: Automotive
55w, H11, 4300K =
Amazon.com: Morimoto 55 Watt HID Conversion Kit with HD Relay Harness 6000K H11 3Five Bulbs-5Five Ballasts -H11 Relay Harness: Automotive

Or order them directly from Headlights_Quick
Search H11 and select H11: Morimoto Elite System
H11: Morimoto ELITE HID System - Headlights Quick
in the pull-downs
Ballasts = 35w or 50w –your choice ( there are two type SS=SpeedStart and DSP has been upgraded to improve the bulb warm up time, resolves a temperature sensitivity on the SS ballast, and has a longer rated life. You might have to call to get DSP, i

Bulb Spec= 3Five(H11)
Kelvin = 4300k
Wiring Harness= H11
Wiring Harness Type= Heavy Duty Relay
Quantity= 1 ( it is a set of two ballasts and two lights)

Easy to install. Remember to remove cowling and undo one 10 mm screw to lift windshield cleaner reserve out of the way of passenger light install.

Good Luck,
MidCow3

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have had the Morimoto 3Five ballasts paired with the 5000k Morimoto H11b bulbs since September and they are working great. I like the closer to pure white color, so I chose the 5000k. I also have the H11b bulbs because I didn't like the shadow from the normal H11 fit. the way our bulbs mount face the bar up which causes the shadow. The H11b will turn the other way. Those cost $20 more but the quality is also better (braided insulation). I also went for the stand alone can-bus connectors. Not because we need them to fake out bulb-out warnings, but I didn't want to try and find the 12V tap under the hood since our 12V battery is in the rear. I don't get any flickering or issues using those instead. But I don't live in harsh weather environments (Northern CA).
Good luck with our install. If you haven't ordered yet, I recommend the retrofitsource. you can use the free ship code TRSRCFS. I think it still works.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have had the Morimoto 3Five ballasts paired with the 5000k Morimoto H11b bulbs since September and they are working great. I like the closer to pure white color, so I chose the 5000k. I also have the H11b bulbs because I didn't like the shadow from the normal H11 fit. the way our bulbs mount face the bar up which causes the shadow. The H11b will turn the other way. Those cost $20 more but the quality is also better (braided insulation). I also went for the stand alone can-bus connectors. Not because we need them to fake out bulb-out warnings, but I didn't want to try and find the 12V tap under the hood since our 12V battery is in the rear. I don't get any flickering or issues using those instead. But I don't live in harsh weather environments (Northern CA).
Good luck with our install. If you haven't ordered yet, I recommend the retrofitsource. you can use the free ship code TRSRCFS. I think it still works.
Actually there is a direct 12 volt positive tap in the front fuse box.

·
Registered
40 Posts
+1 on the Morimoto here as well. I haven't experienced any flickering and they fire up on auto every time. Disclaimer....they've only been on the car for 2 months and I live in NorCal so weather is great. A Boston driver would probably have more credit.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I've had the morimoto kit on my car since Fall.
Never a misfire or any issues, always on auto.
Had the coldest winter in the last 5 - 10 years.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Thank you very much, that is exactly what I needed. Wondering why anyone would get the 35W vs. the 55W setup if they are exactly the same price?

·
Registered
688 Posts
So I have done some more reading on this forum and it seems that a lot of people go with the Can Bus adapters instead of the standard 12V relay harness. Any downside to using those?

·
Registered
69 Posts
but I've read some articles about HID on Auto will kill the head lamp much quicker. is that still true for Morimoto? Since I have it on auto all the time. Dont want to deal with all kind of crap..

·
Registered
69 Posts
but I've read some articles about HID on Auto will kill the head lamp much quicker. is that still true for Morimoto? Since I have it on auto all the time. Dont want to deal with all kind of crap....

·
Registered
69 Posts
hmmm... but I've read some articles about HID on Auto will kill the head lamp much quicker. is that still true for Morimoto? Since I have it on auto all the time. Dont want to deal with all kind of crap..

·
Registered
69 Posts
hmmm~~but I've read some articles previously about HID on Auto will kill the HID head lamp much quicker. is that still true for Morimoto? Since I have it on auto all the time. Dont want to deal with all kind of crap..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts