Lexus CT200h Forums banner

HELP! Late night confession....

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  CT200H-83 
#1 ·
Ok, please don't judge me when I tell you what about to say, I've purchased several cars and all have been done the same way, through months of agonizing over websites and photos and illegal late night visits to the dealers.

By the time I make my decision, I know what trim, color and packages I want. The CT was no exception.

This last time though where before I narrowed it down to one car only, this last time I had 4. CT, IS250, 12 Ford Focus Hatch, 11 Ford Edge.

I immediately disqualified the IS only because if its aging body style and I didn't want to wait and see. As far as the fords, they were nice but once I started even looking at lexus well, I don't have to tell you the allure there.

When I got my CT, before walking in I knew all I had to do was drive it once and I'd know for sure. Everything else about it called out to me. Once I knew this 6'4 frame fit comfortably ....well you know what happens next.

So 3 weeks in and outside of the 41 MPG's I'm getting everything has been rather "meh". The more I drive it the more out of love I fall out. I have no real complaints though either, everything is pretty nice...exception of the slowness of the car but that comes with hybrid territory.

Are there any psych's in the house? What am I experiencing here? Am I gonna be shopping this car in a month or so? Is that even possible? I can't believe that the thought of that has even come into my mind. :-( Thanks for reading and not being to harsh on me..lol

See less See more
#2 ·
of the 4 cars you listed, i think you made the right choice. i had not even considered the ct200h initially because i was leaning more towards the subaru wrx sti which is a totally different car except that both are hatchbacks. i test drove the sti and it is truly a world away from the ct200h.

for me the thing that sealed the deal was:

1. gas efficiency (42 rated mpg vs. 17/23 rated mpg) because we know gas prices are only going up from here.
2. new model vs. a model that is soon to be replaced

i have always had only performance cars so driving the ct200h is surely a new experience. you just have to change your mind and attitude (and driving style) and be realistic with your expectations for the car and you will be happy once again. ultimately, the car is handy with the hatchback & fold down seats, it's somewhat luxurious and comfortable, and it saves a good amount of gas (i don't get discouraged when going to fill up anymore!).

hope you keep it for a while and enjoy it for what it is!

#4 ·
I've never had a performance car ...at every point that I've had to get a new car there was always a fuel crisis. There's nothing I could do about that other than pick logically I guess but I always see the point of why buy a hybrid when you can get say a Mazda 3 or focus hatch for 10-15k less and use that money for gas. HOWEvEr I don't feel like I did that, I feel like I paid the extra 10 k to get a Lexus :-D just happens to be a hybrid. The very top of the line focus hatch with all options tips 28k so...

Maybe I haven't felt the prestige long enough yet...haha. Thanks for the encouraging words..Im feelin better already but my next car better have an electric motor that can put out at least 300 horses in about 3-4 years and not be a tesla or cost over 100k...lol and maybe fly while we're at it.

#7 ·
If this were the only car in the family it wouldn't work for me. It's just too slow.

The fuel economy justification doesn't cut it when the depreciation costs of a new car greatly out weigh any gas cost savings.

However, as a third car for my wife and I the CT is the perfect vehicle.

There is no one justification that fits every buyer - we all have our own reasons for making the purchase.

#8 · (Edited)
Well for me, surprisingly, there was some Lexus brand loyalty in the mix, coupled with rising gas prices and all that good stuff happening now.

I used to drive a 2007 RX 350. Got t-boned. Car flipped over twice. My passenger and I climbed out. Everything worked as it should in terms of safety equipment. The seatbelts held us in while we were upside down. The steering wheel column retracted. Side curtain airbags deployed.

I work as an RN in a large ICU/CCU. I've seen a lot of patients in accidents not as bad as mine in more neurologically unstable conditions w/ head bleeds and comas. That Lexus I drove held its ground pretty well, especially the roof, considering it rolled over twice.

Anyways, aside from that, I purchased my next car because tech gadgets and luxury are more important to me than performance at this time. It doesn't hurt to have a Z4 roadster in the fleet, but honestly, w/ a 30 mile one way commute to work, I'd rather be comfortable and safe than anything else. The CT 200h is a good blend of sportiness and luxury. Lexus' attention to interior finishing w/ soft touches on almost every surface + stitching is exemplary and not something I've seen in many other car manufacturers. I used to think Lexus was a glorified Toyota, until I bought one. There IS a difference between luxury car manufacturers and standard car manufacturers.

As an aside, I probably wouldn't sell my current car JUST to buy a hybrid. Just like what audi4t mentioned, the gas savings just don't make sense. But since I was out of a car, the CT 200h was the perfect fit.

#9 ·
Well I only have the one car. I've never really been into the multiple cars deal seeing as I'm single and don't want to make two car payments or cover two car insurance payments...frankly I don't have a driveway to hold two cars...lol performance is something I've always wanted to try. Ive never even owned anything outside of a 4 cyl. I dunno maybe when I refi I cAn pick up a little turbocharged something in a year to make me feel better. Lol. Has anyone ever bought a car and decided a month in it's not working? What do you do then?

#10 · (Edited)
you drive it some more until gas price is $4.5+ and then you will realize this is the car to keep..
I am in same situation you are in.. looking at CT, IS250/350, BMW 328, MB C class, Acura TL 2012.. sigh.. still can't decide on one yet..

CT is out now but no car to buy lol.
Acura TL 2012 refresh just came out.
MB C class refresh in August.
Lexus GS remodel this year.
BMW 3 series will be remodel next year.
IS will be remodel one year after BMW 3 series: I like the IS but the current model is just too old.

Overall, I like lexus (luxury and reliability) more than BMW. But if CT doesn't come out soon, I mind as well wait for a the new BMW 3 series. :mad:

Forgot to add.. my wife drive a Nissan Rogue and I drive a 2000 prelude.. CT is a slow car.. I keep debating between HP and MPG. lol
If we get a CT now, my wife will trade in her car and get a MDX or something as family car and CT will be a commute car.

#11 ·
audi4t, you're right about the car depreciation outweighing the fuel savings. I think just the car sales tax here in Calif. (almost 10%) is more than the fuel savings I'll get if I had just kept my previous less efficient car for a few more years. Everyone does have their own purchase reasons. For me, I went with the CT not so much to save $ on gas, but to reduce my carbon footprint/reduce overall fossil fuel consumption where I can. Could have also done that with other cars, but found the CT personally most appealing.

BTW, the CT is not that slow; it will do 113 mph (only 17 mph less than the LS460 top speed). Just takes a while to get there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.