Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Lexus CT200h is sitting on the side of my driveway (we have a foot of snow here) and it is hopelessly stuck in snow/mud. I need to get the car winched/towed back up onto the tarmac (maybe about 15 feet). From the REAR. Nothing in the manual about where to attach a winch line in this situation. I just spoke to a Lexus technician who told me there is a tie down hook under the rear bumper, just to the inside of the rear bumper marker light on the driver's side about a foot back from the edge of the bumper.

Can anyone comment on that? He said that would be the place to attach a winch line. I'm confident that with a power winch/cable and me in the driver's seat gently applying reverse, the car pops out of its predicament and back up on to my driveway in about 5 seconds.

Not really practical to attach a winch line to the front towing points referenced in the owner's manual, the car is nose down a slight embankment. We do have to figure out a way to winch this car from the back end. Hopefully without damaging anything. Any input appreciated.

·
Registered
132 Posts
why dont you just toss a bunch of hot water on the snow? i mean 1 foot of snow... you can easily dig that snow out... as for the mud, stick a wood plank....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. It's either wait until things melt and dry out (that will take several days to a week) or else the car absolutely needs to be winched or pulled out. There is a tie down loop under the rear bumper on the driver's side that is perfect to attach a rope or cable to. That should work. I'll have my plow guy pull the car tomorrow, with some assistance it should come right out.

The CT is a complete basket case in the snow by the way. That was rather predicable. I have a set of 4 Blizzaks in the shed, that should help, but make no mistake, the CT is not a great snow car. My wife's Prius was MUCH better and those cars suck in the snow too. I have snow tires for both cars, we'll be installing them soon. Didn't expect 15" of snow on October 29.

·
Registered
17 Posts
thats weird, I have an Acura Integra Type R that is dropped lower than the CT and with a set of blizzak...I plowed the snow and gets past suv's that somehow got stuck in the side of roads like nuthing. I've been driving like this since 2003 and now...I have no problems. *knock on wood*

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not weird, the CT that got stuck today did NOT have Blizzaks, it had the stock tires. The Blizzaks go on later this month. I'm hoping the CT will behave like your Integra once the winter tires are on the car. But with the summer tires, the CT was rather hopeless, which as I point out is rather predictable.

There is a place on the rear of the car to attach a winch cable or rope - a tie down loop just under the rear bumper on the left side of the car, easily accessible. I'll just have my plow guy tie one end to his trailer hitch and the other end to that loop and he'll give me a boost back onto the driveway. It's not a very steep slope, but there's just zero traction on the wet/snowy lawn the car is mired upon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I see...well its good for me to know from your experience that I will have to get some blizzak for my CT as well when comes winter time. I won't be seeing my CT til Dec so at the moment, I'm just driving my Integra.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We yanked the car out safely using that rear tie down loop, no damage to the car whatsoever. Yes, you do need Blizzaks with a CT. It really is a basket case with the stock tires. On the other hand our 2011 Prius (which has far more snow friendly stock 15" tires with higher sidewalls) wasn't really all that bad. Both cars will get Blizzaks in a couple of weeks, hopefully no more pre-season blizzards.

45 series sports car tires and non-defeatable traction control are a recipe for winter driving stalemate. Trust me on this. You can't get around that awful inability to defeat the traction control, but hopefully the Blizzaks (even in 45 series form) will make the car useable in the snow. I've seen Blizzaks transform cars that were un-driveable in the snow into good snow cars time and again after living on this hill for 15 years (a mile long, multiple 15% grades, 400 vertical feet over a mile). We get a lot of snow and ice here some winters.

If your car sucks in the snow up here, you're not getting up to the driveway some nights, and that's all there is to it. So snow tires aren't optional, they're really necessary. We're shopping for a third car, and that may wind up being a 2012 Subaru Impreza just because the car has AWD and will still average about 30 mpg.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
AWD is not the solution for traction. Snow tires are. I've had zero traction with an AWD Audi TT on summer tires cf a RWD Z4 and Blizzaks that could literally drive any where.

This week I'll be mounting snow tires on my BMW 135i - RWD & don't anticipate any problems with traction.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
patentcad - Where are you located? You're really starting to scare me about these OEM tires now, are they the Michelin Primacy ones? If so, Tirerack.com lists these as "Excellent" in both light snow (7.6 out of 10) and deep snow (6.6 out of 10) ?

·
Registered
100 Posts
you should always have snow tires on any vehicle if the climate calls for it.

i'd also like to mention that blizzaks are generally mid range; michelin x-ice or nokian hakkapeliitta tires are usually rated the best.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We are in Orange County, NY, 50 miles NW of NY City. We live on a mile long hill with multiple 15% upgrades. It snows and ices here quite a bit in winter. If you have a CT, get snow tires, or leave the car in the garage when the roads are snowy. Period. My Blizzaks are in the shed, they go on the car in a couple of weeks.

I've owned several snow tires over the past 15 years, the WS-70 Blizzaks (which I got for the CT) are the stickiest.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts