Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

So I am ready to buy a Ct200h but there is just one thing...

The audio system sounds terrible to me. :(:( I test drove a model with the premium sound a few times - horrible. :mad:

I currently drive a mini cooper countryman with a H/K system and the sound is great.

I know its not a reason not to buy the car - but I love to cruise and listen to tunes.

It is annoying that I would have to do an aftermarket install project - especially since installing an amp seems like it could be an issue in a hybrid.

So, why doesn't Lexus offer the Mark Levinson or upgrade the sound?
Should I just buy the car with the NAV and put in new speakers?
Should I wait for the 2014 model and see if it is improved?
Hmmmm :confused::confused:

David

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Hello,

So I am ready to buy a Ct200h but there is just one thing...

The audio system sounds terrible to me. :(:( I test drove a model with the premium sound a few times - horrible. :mad:

I currently drive a mini cooper countryman with a H/K system and the sound is great.

I know its not a reason not to buy the car - but I love to cruise and listen to tunes.

It is annoying that I would have to do an aftermarket install project - especially since installing an amp seems like it could be an issue in a hybrid.

So, why doesn't Lexus offer the Mark Levinson or upgrade the sound?
Should I just buy the car with the NAV and put in new speakers?
Should I wait for the 2014 model and see if it is improved?
Hmmmm :confused::confused:

David
David,
You are correct the Premium stereo sucks. Lexus offers a Mark Levinson in the CT200h, just not in the USA.
You can upgrade the three front speakers, front tweeters, and front door speakers and add an amp and it sounds very good on CDs, USB, and AUX. However the OEM Panasonic head unit still has muddy XM/AM/FM. You can replace the head unit, but unless you want a lot of extra labor you lose the NAV integration and the steering wheel controls.
You will find one other feature you won’t like; Lexus disables almost all controls on Navigation, Phone, etc. when you speed exceeds 5 mph.

Overall though, the CT200h is an excellent car.

Don’t know what your budget is and what exactly you are looking for. The ES300h gives you great mileage, can be fitted with ML audio, but then again it costs quite a bit more.

Good Luck and welcome to the CT200h forums.

MidCow3

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply MidCow3. Is there a consensus or thread on a speakers/amp combo that has worked great for others in their Ct200h?

I spoke to an installer and they said "tell us what you want and we will do it." I have not found a place that has worked on the CT (I am in Austin, TX) and don't want to risk doing the install and not having it be a big improvement. I do not want tthe hassle of swapping the head-unit or fitting in a double din in the dashboard:p. I would want to do "upgrade lite" and just swap the speakers, maybe put in an amp without upgrading the woofer, headunit, etc.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Several of us (including me) are in the middle of doing a speaker upgrade right now, and several others have done it in the past. I've done the dash speakers and am going to be doing all 4 door speakers this weekend. I have a thread that covers the dash speakers, and I will be adding to it after this weekend. There are also several other threads that have good pictures and other good pieces of info, just do some searching. The main things that you will need are:

1. Speaker bracket adapters (especially for the front doors)
2. Speaker connectors if you don't want to cut into the wiring (btw no one has seemed to find the right one for the dash speakers, so we have all cut/crimped/soldered, or fabricated something)
3. Plastic trim removal tools are a good idea if you don't want to scuff up your door panels.

If you hang tight and check back Sunday night, I should have everything posted by then. Maybe that will help you decide if the speaker swap is worth the effort and if not then you might want to consider another car. :) As far as amplifiers and additional speakers, I don't think I am going to go that far with my installation, so others would be a better resource for that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Several of us (including me) are in the middle of doing a speaker upgrade right now, and several others have done it in the past. I've done the dash speakers and am going to be doing all 4 door speakers this weekend. I have a thread that covers the dash speakers, and I will be adding to it after this weekend. There are also several other threads that have good pictures and other good pieces of info, just do some searching. The main things that you will need are:

1. Speaker bracket adapters (especially for the front doors)
2. Speaker connectors if you don't want to cut into the wiring (btw no one has seemed to find the right one for the dash speakers, so we have all cut/crimped/soldered, or fabricated something)
3. Plastic trim removal tools are a good idea if you don't want to scuff up your door panels.

If you hang tight and check back Sunday night, I should have everything posted by then. Maybe that will help you decide if the speaker swap is worth the effort and if not then you might want to consider another car. :) As far as amplifiers and additional speakers, I don't think I am going to go that far with my installation, so others would be a better resource for that.

I look forward to your post leonar40 - good luck with the project!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.