Lexus CT200h Forums banner

Hella supertones installed (new horns)

18K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  NewShockerGuy 
#1 ·
Hello Folks.

I wanted these horns to blast deers and lame drivers. Mission accomplished with these Hella horns lol. it's also helpful having super loud horns in a small car. Those big *** trucks might not see you... but now they'll def be able to hear you.

The kit comes with 2 horns and a relay. The CT doesn't need the relay so you can set it aside. This is a straight plug and play upgrade!

1.)Take off the cover thing and you can see the stock horns there. ( I have the driver side one removed already. If i recall right, it's just a 12mm socket you'll need. just start to unscrew the bolt holding it and then get your hands in there. Unplug the horn.

This is what the stock horn looks like and there is the port where you plug it in.

2.) Wire up the ground for the hella supertone: (We wrapped the other end in electrical tape later)

3.) Sandwich in the ground wire there and screw the bolt in. it might be easier to also plug in the horn before screwing it in all the way. Either way, you'll be able to plug/unplug it while its attached. It barely fit!

This is a comparison of the supertone and stock horn (Yes i know that's a bad paint job, I just used spray paint and the weather was being lame. But it's ok, you can't really see it behind the grill and i also repainted it to white.)

4.) Repeat process for the passenger side horn. Except you'll have to bend down this tab a little to make the horn fit.

5.) Honk the car to make sure they work! you can also honk 1 at a time if you'd like.

The completed product in white!

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, thanks for the write-up. That sounds like an easy and useful upgrade. Maybe I'll put this on my list for the spring. A couple of quick questions:

1. Is it necessary to paint them, or are they black by default?
2. I didn't see in your write-up where you plugged the positive to the horn into the car's connector. I'm guessing it's an obvious operation so didn't even need any pictures.
3. Can you post a link to where you bought them from, and a part number?

Thanks!

#4 ·
Hey Leonar! In regards to your questions:

1.) you don't have to paint them. the stock grille color is a light shade of red. you see them on many subies. i just painted mine to personalize them!

2.) the plug that plugs into the stock horn, that is the "positive?" i guess that you are referring to? that simply plugs into the top notch in the 3rd pic. it slides right on. same kind of connection. it's kind of hard to take a pic of it from the back, thats why i didn't include one.

3.) i bought my set from amazon cuz at the time it was mad cheap and i had a 10 dollar gift card!

you can buy here - Amazon.com: HELLA 003399801 Supertone 12V High Tone/Low Tone Twin Horn Kit with Bracket: Automotive

#5 ·
thanks for posting the vid. i took one too but it didn't come out so good lol

#8 ·
dumb question but where did you get the ground wire from in this picture?

I tried to do this mod today and my package only came with 2 horns and a relay. Are the ground wire(s) supposed to be included?
we had to make that ourselves! you can get parts from somewhere like radioshack

#10 ·
#14 ·
You should always use the relay with hella supertones. It is getting a direct 12v source from the battery to the horns. If you look at the stock horns they are pulling no where near the amount of power that the super tones do.

If you wire them up without the relay they will not sound like how they should.

I've installed supertones on every vehicle I have. It's essy and literally takes almost no time at all to do it the right way with the relay. Plus you don't run the risk of messing up the stock wiring because it's pulling too many amps.

-Nigel