Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday morning something strange happened to me on the way to work. It was about 20 deg F outside, so the car was cold. After 3 min of driving, the climate control system starting slowing ramping up the heater fan, which is normal. However, what was abnormal is that the air coming out of the heater was cold! In fact, it was so cold that I could see my breath. It took about 10 min of driving and then the air finally started getting warm and then stayed that way for the rest of my drive (approx. 40 min). On my way home and then this morning on the same drive, the heater worked perfectly fine. Any ideas what could cause that?

My first thought would be a stuck thermostat, but then the engine itself would not be warming up, and if that was the case then it seems like the climate control would not have ramped the fan up. I wish this car had a engine temp gauge so I could have seen what was going on. Also a stuck thermostat would not explain how the heater would work fine again later that day and this morning.

Thanks!

·
Registered
187 Posts
It's weird for sure. Although, you know, I haven't seen a car that doesn't do weird things during those snap cold days...different noise at start, different feel at the wheel, wipers acting strange, hot-cold air...these things have been my common experience regardless of the make. Although Lexus cars have been mostly consistently good with minimal changes.

Nevertheless, our hybrid cars are super complicated. Who knows, this might have been a program thing... like conditioning the cold battery was perhaps a priority and heat was channeled there somehow, or perhaps the thermostat was trying to recycle to fresh outside air while the coolant hadn't heated enough to blow hot air. Nevertheless, we are just at the start of the winter. If you see a repeat, go to your dealership.

Check to see if your coolant level is topped up in the interim. If it's low, take it to the dealership immediately to have them check the coolant strength and if there are any leaks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yesterday morning something strange happened to me on the way to work. It was about 20 deg F outside, so the car was cold. After 3 min of driving, the climate control system starting slowing ramping up the heater fan, which is normal. However, what was abnormal is that the air coming out of the heater was cold! In fact, it was so cold that I could see my breath. It took about 10 min of driving and then the air finally started getting warm and then stayed that way for the rest of my drive (approx. 40 min). On my way home and then this morning on the same drive, the heater worked perfectly fine. Any ideas what could cause that?

My first thought would be a stuck thermostat, but then the engine itself would not be warming up, and if that was the case then it seems like the climate control would not have ramped the fan up. I wish this car had a engine temp gauge so I could have seen what was going on. Also a stuck thermostat would not explain how the heater would work fine again later that day and this morning.

Thanks!

Had the same problem this morning... Do you remember what happened to your car and if you had any repair done?
Thank you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts