Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Call this a crazy question, but how many CT owners here have opened the hood on the car (not related to a modification).

I've actually never seen my engine bay, even when test driving the car.

As a car guy, this is pretty strange for me.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have looked at the demo's at the dealer. Surprisingly, there are not a lot of the typical Lexus engine covers. Much of the engine is exposed with the exception of the OHV cover and inverter cover. I never understood why Lexus adds all the covers on their other models.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Call this a crazy question, but how many CT owners here have opened the hood on the car (not related to a modification).

I've actually never seen my engine bay, even when test driving the car.

As a car guy, this is pretty strange for me.
I love looking under the hood of any car... it's always nice to see what's powering the wheels along with how it sounds, how smooth the engine runs, how well the engine bay is layed out -- things like that. I like the sound of any gas powered engine -- lawnmowers, ATVs, weed trimmers, leaf blowers, snowblowers, boat motors, etc. I'm a true motorhead. The sweetest sound on earth to me is the sound of a well tuned throaty exhaust coming from a large horsepowered car -- that sends shivers up and down my spine.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have looked at the demo's at the dealer. Surprisingly, there are not a lot of the typical Lexus engine covers. Much of the engine is exposed with the exception of the OHV cover and inverter cover. I never understood why Lexus adds all the covers on their other models.
What the engine bay covers are trying to say is, "Don't touch me... just look at me with admiration." :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have! Wish it had the additional covers, though. Think that really cleans things up under there :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
I always have a peek under the hood when I'm checking out a new model at the dealer. I don't know why, since there's bugger all to see these days, thanks to all those ridiculous pieces of plastic they use to hide the technical bits I'm interested in.

I rarely open the hood of my daily car, because there's very little I can do myself under there. I'll fill the windscreen washer reservoir and that's pretty much it. I have no interest in trying to maintain cars with complicated electrical systems, ECU's and so many fuses it exceeds the number of wheels.

I keep two cars with two and three fuses respectively, just for the joy and satisfaction of being able to maintain them myself. When I open the hood on those (and I frequently do), I know my way around and know exactly what to do. ;)

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I love looking under the hood of any car... it's always nice to see what's powering the wheels along with how it sounds, how smooth the engine runs, how well the engine bay is layed out -- things like that. I like the sound of any gas powered engine -- lawnmowers, ATVs, weed trimmers, leaf blowers, snowblowers, boat motors, etc. I'm a true motorhead. The sweetest sound on earth to me is the sound of a well tuned throaty exhaust coming from a large horsepowered car -- that sends shivers up and down my spine.
The Invidia exhaust on my S2000 would excite you ;)

P.S. - How did you guys install the HID conversion kits without opening the hood ??

·
Registered
100 Posts
Okay, I have to admit that I did not look at the engine before buying (the demo started up and moved so it was a pretty good bet that battery and engine were installed!). Popping the hood was the first thing I did when I got my baby home - I like to by familiar with the layout of all the things I can check/replace myself. What can I say? - it is an engine and other than the fact that there is quite a lot of space to work relative to my old Honda and some orange wires never to be messed with, I was neither impressed nor dismayed.

And yes, I like engines - my idea of a cool dining table is a Merlin engine block with a big piece of glass balanced on top :)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Okay, I have to admit that I did not look at the engine before buying (the demo started up and moved so it was a pretty good bet that battery and engine were installed!). Popping the hood was the first thing I did when I got my baby home - I like to by familiar with the layout of all the things I can check/replace myself. What can I say? - it is an engine and other than the fact that there is quite a lot of space to work relative to my old Honda and some orange wires never to be messed with, I was neither impressed nor dismayed.

And yes, I like engines - my idea of a cool dining table is a Merlin engine block with a big piece of glass balanced on top :)
Just saw this on autoblog.. perfect table for you.. ;)

Bentley crafts unique items for charity auction

·
Registered
100 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Under the hood hasn't really looked cool since the 70's..Everythings covered up all neatly and such.

First time I saw under the hood of the CT was when I opened it to install my HID's. Prob 3-4 weeks into ownership.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts