Lexus CT200h Forums banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
A few years ago I had to replace the windshield in a Chevy Silverado. I called several installers and I was shocked at the HUGE variance in quotes. The last one I called was very upfront and gave me a price range of about $200 to $1200. He explained the difference is quallity of the product, the cheapest being made in Mexico, the most expensive was OEM General Motors. I asked if there was a difference, he laughed and asked if I minded possible leaks from poor fit and "wavey" optics. The pricey quotes people are quoting here are OEM glass, and a year ago when this post started, there may not have been any aftermarket glass available.

·
Registered
352 Posts
3 weeks after I bought my CT, I had a rock produce a star burst crack. Safelite was able to fill it in and really can't see but a 1/4 inch line. My other cars been hit so many times with rocks it looks like it was in a BB gun fight besides the crack going from top to bottom. Been drving that for about a year now, it's a 20 year old car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I replaced it. Only Lexus glass was available. It cost me $100 as deductible (real price is about $800) and it was my first windshield replacement after 33 years of driving.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased my Lexus CT in March 2011. In over 25 years of driving in the Seattle area, I've never cracked a windshield - plenty of rock chips, but no cracks. Yet I've now had 3 large cracks in the past 7 months with the CT. The first hit my windshield on I-90 last October - rock hits and within seconds is about 2 feet long. The second happened in April on I-5 - same thing...rock hits and immediately cracks to about 2-3 feet on the opposite side of the front windsheild. The good news - I held off on replacing the windshield after the first crack until after the winter - hard to do with such a new vehicle - but it was still damaged when receiving the second. In late April, I had Safelight replace it with OEM windshield. Total cost $1200+, but I paid just the $250 deductible. The bad news - less than a month later my new windshield is hit by a rock on I-90 and I've instantly got a 2 foot crack. I'm reading this thread because I'm really questioning the glass used on these vehicles. 25 years + - no cracks, ever. Less than a year and a half - 3 large cracks from entirely separate incidences. I'm holding off on replacing for now. Again, hard to do on such a new vehicle, which I absolutely love aside from these windshield issues.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have to question the strength of these windshields too. Since my post on 4-29-12, I now have a 1 inch star crack on my CT's windshield!

5 years ago, I had a Mini Cooper, which were notorious for getting cracks in the windshield with the OEM glass. I had 3 windshields replaced under warranty, which is why I sold the car. I had heard that when the glass was replaced with non-OEM, the problem was resolved. I am not stating that this is the case with the CT, but I have to wonder........

·
Registered
76 Posts
I got mine replaced a couple months ago. It was $1,100 installed with OEM glass. There is no aftermarket glass out there. So, its going to be expensive to replace. I ended up using my insurance to replace it. I didn't have any problems with it post install. No leaks or anything. Also, the windshield has defroster lines on the driver side edge and where the wipers sit.

·
Registered
441 Posts
That is some extreme price gouging...I just went on glass.net and they quote $215 installed for a new windshield on a 2011 IS 250, $360 for a Prius, and $450 for the HS 250.

What is so special about the CT that it's windshield costs 4x as much as the IS? If this is indicative of repair costs for the CT, I may have to rethink my desire to get one.
The windshied cost can vary - I was told that if you have automatic windscreen wipers the windscreen is much more expensive because it incorporates the rain sensor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a '11 CT w/ rain sensors that just hit 10k miles. A few weeks ago, I got a rock chip right on the outer passenger edge of the windshield that immediately cracked about 1/4 way across. After parking the car and working a full day at the office, I noticed it creeped a few more inches when I got back into the car to drive home. A week later, it creeped about 60% across before I finally made the call to my insurance company. $100 bucks later (deductible), I had a new OEM windshield installed. It only took 30 minutes to install and 1 hour to dry, but the replacement looks as good as new and my rain sensors work. Kind of pissed to hear so many others having similar issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My windshield recently got hit with pebble and cracked. Safelite replaced it with my $50 deductible. They used aftermarket. Problem is bottom portion close to dashboard of windshield has waves and gives you a distorted view. As if you were wearing somebody else's eyeglasses. They came back to replace it. Same story. Anybody with similar issues? OEM at Lexus will cost $1300 installed and insurance will only cover $800.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just to add my experience. Lexus wanted $1300 to replace mine. My insurance told me get it done else where. I insisted I wanted Lexus OEM and my insurance said that's not a problem. They found a local garage that does windshields only and ordered the OEM part for me. My deductible was $100 but I think the total was around $650 and they had it done in 30 minutes or so. The new one is holding up much better. I've been hit with a few pebbles and there is some pitting (it's been 6 months since I replaced it) but it's still holding up well. Also, on the original windshield my wipers would start streaking after 2 weeks of use. The same "bad" wipers worked fine on the new windshield and still working great. This makes me feel that the windshields are curved slightly differently but that's just a guess. Also my insurance covered my replacement tint on my windshield ($350 since it was ceramic). Make sure you guys get a good comprehensive policy since Lexus parts are so expensive!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Isn't the 2013 and up model a thicker or more "soundproof" windshield? I thought that was one of the areas they were cost saving on the early models?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Isn't the 2013 and up model a thicker or more "soundproof" windshield? I thought that was one of the areas they were cost saving on the early models?
Mine is 2013 so I would say no since it still cracked and quite easily. However, the new windshield I have seems to be improved in many ways so maybe 2014?

·
Registered
990 Posts
I'm surprised by this. I always thought the windshield on my CT was quite withstanding. I went through 2 windshields on my 2008 IS350 before 50,000 miles. I'm at 77,000 miles on my 2011 CT with an OEM windshield. I do a lot of highway driving and it's been hit many times with big rocks but no cracks what so ever. I have lots of dimples but no cracks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
187 Posts
Mine took about two seconds to grow from a small rock hit to a full blown crack while driving along the freeway. That was right in the first six months of ownership of my 2013 CT brand new, and had no dimples until then. Got replaced with OEM within a few days. So far, things are OK. Perhaps they made the windshield better after 2013. Just to be on the safe side though, I now have zero deductible on my comprehensive insurance coverage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have 2 of them replaced after freeway driving. Only Lexus original glass was available. Also I found that all my crack started and spread from edges. So I applied two lines of the black vinyl dielectric tape around edges of my windshield (glass connection line) and it helped a few times.

·
Registered
107 Posts
How much did you guys pay for your windshields and do I need the rain sensor/heated wipers or whatever? There are just so many options =( I did not realize they were so expensive! getting quotes from $300 (most basic) all the way to $900!

·
Registered
41 Posts
i have had two windshields replaced through insurance and one windshield repaired. safelite did both replacements and the repair. they used lexus oem windshields both times. i have $0 deductible on glass but the invoice the tech showed me said the windshield was $1200.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mine was $1300 but I had $100 deductible for comprehensive. They replaced the windshield with OEM for around $1300 (may have been $1200 but not sure) and they also replaced my tint which was $350 for the front windshield.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine was $1300 but I had $100 deductible for comprehensive. They replaced the windshield with OEM for around $1300 (may have been $1200 but not sure) and they also replaced my tint which was $350 for the front windshield.
I'm encouraged by your earlier post that the windshield replacement is holding up well. I just got a 19,000 mi pre-owned in perfect condition and on the second day I drove it, the windshield cracked totally across my line of vision. I was driving through a parking lot, but I can see where a tiny mark near the left edge had probably taken a hit earlier. My insurance company gave me a hard time about OEM, which is being installed tomorrow.

After reading all the posts in this thread, sounds like the windshield is very delicate and making me a little paranoid. I haven't lost a windshield in the last 150,000 of driving, at least. Glad to hear someone has had good experience.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm encouraged by your earlier post that the windshield replacement is holding up well. I just got a 19,000 mi pre-owned in perfect condition and on the second day I drove it, the windshield cracked totally across my line of vision. I was driving through a parking lot, but I can see where a tiny mark near the left edge had probably taken a hit earlier. My insurance company gave me a hard time about OEM, which is being installed tomorrow.

After reading all the posts in this thread, sounds like the windshield is very delicate and making me a little paranoid. I haven't lost a windshield in the last 150,000 of driving, at least. Glad to hear someone has had good experience.

my insurance gave me a hard time about OEM as well. once they contacted safelite they were told that they dont make aftermarket glass for the CT, only OEM.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts