Lexus CT200h Forums banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
With just about 1 month of driving our new CT we already got a ding in the windshield that cracked too far to repair. Chip to crack in 2 seconds!

Has anyone replaced a windshield yet, I have to admit I dont want to be the first CT that a shop "learns on".

Not sure if the insurance will allow us to go to the dealer and something tells me this isnt a cheap windshield.
Replacement parts for the CT200h will be very difficult to come by for many months. The car is 100% Japan made and with all the problems over there, good luck getting something replaced on the car. I suggest driving very defensively. The whole windshield ding is just a crap shoot. You never know when a stone will fly up and nail you.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Well, this morning I see the crack streeeetched out a little bit longer. Maybe 16 inches now. Not pretty. So USAA was awesome. My windshield deductible is $200. They said I can take it to any place of my choosing. (even the dealer) However, I decided to allow Safelite do the work since they will come to my job and do the install. Of course, I opted for the OEM Lexus glass. They placed the order for the Lexus glass today. They asked all those key questions. They assured me they will pull up the VIN# and check all the CT's details to ensure it will be identical when completed. Let's hope... ;-)

After thinking about it, this is my first windshield replacement ever. I hope it ends here!! hehe
Your $200 deductible is very good for the windshield. Do you pay a separate window glass coverage premium with USAA? or is your comprehensive deductible at $200? I think I might adjust mine down to $200 for a while...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well, this morning I see the crack streeeetched out a little bit longer. Maybe 16 inches now. Not pretty. So USAA was awesome. My windshield deductible is $200. They said I can take it to any place of my choosing. (even the dealer) However, I decided to allow Safelite do the work since they will come to my job and do the install. Of course, I opted for the OEM Lexus glass. They placed the order for the Lexus glass today. They asked all those key questions. They assured me they will pull up the VIN# and check all the CT's details to ensure it will be identical when completed. Let's hope... ;-)

After thinking about it, this is my first windshield replacement ever. I hope it ends here!! hehe
Hey Gurl. How is the new windshield holding up on your CT. Did they give you a Lexus OEM one for the CT and was it replaced by the dealer?
Reason I ask is because I found out from another posting that CT has embedded de-icer heating element on the windshield (maybe that's why they cost so much). Is your de-icer working on the new windshield?

Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
windshield

Based on this thread, I just added $0 deductible windshield coverage
to my CT (was $1000 deductible). $67/year from State Farm.

-Phrog

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey Gurl. How is the new windshield holding up on your CT. Did they give you a Lexus OEM one for the CT and was it replaced by the dealer?
Reason I ask is because I found out from another posting that CT has embedded de-icer heating element on the windshield (maybe that's why they cost so much). Is your de-icer working on the new windshield?

Cheers
Ice in Texas?? The only ice you're going to find in Texas is in your drinks!! :p

·
Registered
16 Posts
Unfortunately my 1 week old CT200h with rain sensing windshield wipers got hit with a rock on I-5. A 2 inch ding became a 15 inch crack within 5 minutes, then in the 84 degree Seattle sun became a much larger crack. Bellevue Lexus referred me to Safelite to have the windshield replaced. Hope to get the OEM glass this week. I am wondering if the CT200h glass is more fragile than my 2 year old IS250 or if it is just bad luck.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Blast it. A pebble flew into my windshield yesterday while I was driving south on 405 to Costa Mesa. Less than a month in and I now have a white spot chip on the driver side windshield. Ouuuchhh!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Unfortunately my 1 week old CT200h with rain sensing windshield wipers got hit with a rock on I-5. A 2 inch ding became a 15 inch crack within 5 minutes, then in the 84 degree Seattle sun became a much larger crack. Bellevue Lexus referred me to Safelite to have the windshield replaced. Hope to get the OEM glass this week. I am wondering if the CT200h glass is more fragile than my 2 year old IS250 or if it is just bad luck.
Sorry to hear your story.:(
I had my ES350 windshield replace in Safelite, which was recommended by Lexus Bellevue. But Safelite DOESN'T use OEM windshield.
Though the installation quality is very good, but I could feel it's thinner than OEM one. :mad: and definitely the wind noise was bigger.
Since there is an electronic circuity in out CT windshield, I highly doubt Safelite can give an OEM one. May be you need a special order from Lexus and let Safelite to install it?:confused:
Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I will have to double check with Safelite, but they told me they received approval from my insurer to use OEM glass, and we had to wait until Lexus had the glass in stock before they scheduled my appointment. I'll certainly raise the issue when I bring the car in....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wow. Expensive windshields!?! Got a unrepairable crack from a rock chip at 33 miles on the ticker. Retail price of factory windshield(de icer, no rain sensor).. $675. This was in the beginning of August.

·
Registered
410 Posts

Cheers
11LFCH: The windshield seems to be "almost" as quiet as factory one. The Safellite guys told me that once the factory seal is broken, it may not be as quiet. Initially, I thought I could hear more wind noise when I was driving on the freeway. Until I drove my husband's CT to compare...and it really sounded about the same. I was happy again. I got the Lexus OEM glass. He did a FABULOUS job. He removed the (2) DMV tags & E-Z tag from the windshield and re-applied them so straight & neat after the install. I was so suprised he was able to remove them without ripping any of them and actually get them to completely stick again. Oh and I have no clue if the de-icer works. I will never know. Like the other poster said...this is Texas. LOL... Yep, ice in our drinks only.

Needless to say, Safellite did a FABULOUS job!!! ;-)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just had my windshield replaced by Bellevue Safelite (East of Seattle). The total bill was just short of $1200. They used genuine Lexus glass and appear to have done a great job.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Mariner: What a relief, huh? :) I'm glad it went well. $1200 Yuck!

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Well lucky me (I guess?), looks like I'll be part of this thread now. A rock flew up and hit my windshield on my way into work this AM (I was on the highway going about 70 MPH). Rock hit exactly 1/2 way up the windshield and the odd thing is, there is a hairline crack at the base/bottom of the windshield and is about 8" from where the rock hit! Guess the glass they use in this eco-friendly car is pretty thin! The crack spread a couple of inches already and I'm guessing will only spread some more.

I'm going to call the dealer and hopefully they can take care of the replacement with OEM when I'm in there for my 15K service in a few weeks. I have glass coverage on my auto insurance, so there should be nothing out of my pocket. $1,200 is CRAZY!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I pray that I never have to do this. Of course nobody goes looking for a windshield ding. Good luck. Windshield replacements I've had on other cars over the years have been adequate. Their work always seemed a little sloppy with the sealant.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Here's a Christmas story. 2 years ago while driving to my Mothers house, out of state, a sheet of ice flew off of a truck in front on me and 'exploded' the windshield on my Limited Hybrid Highlander. I saw it fly off - but at 70 mph on the interstate there was no way to avoid getting hit by it. It made such a loud BANG that it sounded like a gun shot. We are happy that it didn't cave in the windshield! Anyway, I called the insurance company (I have $0 deductible coverage) while on the road and they had a Safelite dealer in the city that I was travelling to call me and talk through all of the details. They met me at my Mother's.

They did NOT have the correct windshield for my vehicle (the Limited version has a heated strip at the bottom of the windshield for the wipers), but they replaced the windshield with a Highlander spec temp windshield to get me "back on the road" and then ordered the correct windshield for me. When I returned home, they met me at my house and replaced the "temp" windshield with the correct - OEM - windshield.

Safelite was professional, clean, quick and their customer service was exceptional. I am happy to recommend them - but hope that I never have the occasion to have to use them again.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've had many windshields replaced by Safelite in the past and they always do a fantastic job. Great people to work with and very professional, too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interesting to see how many CT200h windshields cracked so soon. I bought my 1 year old CT200h 3 weeks ago from the local Lexus dealer. They had to replace the cracked windshield before I picked up the car. Yesterday I apparently caught a stone on Hwy 2 in Calgary. I didn't see anything immediately but a few hours later there was a 12 inch crack. Alberta is notorious for stone damage, largely due to sanding highways in winter and most insurance companies got rid of windshield coverage. If replacement is $1200 for the CT, I'll definitely be looking into windshield coverage. Other cars we've owned (including my wife's Prius) have picked up stone chips, this is the first one to crack.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts