Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With just about 1 month of driving our new CT we already got a ding in the windshield that cracked too far to repair. Chip to crack in 2 seconds!

Has anyone replaced a windshield yet, I have to admit I dont want to be the first CT that a shop "learns on".

Not sure if the insurance will allow us to go to the dealer and something tells me this isnt a cheap windshield.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I feel sorry for you. I had a ding but not too big, so it was repaired. Good luck with this.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Ray, I would call your Lexus store and see if they do it in house or have a company come out to do it. Atlease then it is someone that is familiar with Lexus products.

Good luck, sorry to hear about it. And check with your insurance, I have a winshield replacement/repair policy that is $0 deductable.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ray, I would call your Lexus store and see if they do it in house or have a company come out to do it. Atlease then it is someone that is familiar with Lexus products.

Good luck, sorry to hear about it. And check with your insurance, I have a winshield replacement/repair policy that is $0 deductable.
I've had enough windshield incidents that my insurance has now imposed a $500 deductible! Just this January, I paid $650 to fix the windshield on my Matrix out of my own pocket because in the end it would have been more of a hassle to file a claim and pay the deductible and then an increase in premium for the next 3 years. :mad:

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting update. Of course everyone that I call has no idea, until I called the dealer. No windshields in the US as of this moment but 5 are comming in about a week. Another week to get the windshield out to Seattle.

Insurance is a whole different issue as it forces them to replace a windshield out of the normal way of operation and you can only guess how many approvals this is going to take. Good thing I have at least 2 weeks to wait....

New Windshield $1,184.85
Moulding $34.71
Install $150.00
Letting a shop use your car to learn on - Pricele$$

·
Registered
14 Posts
New Windshield $1,184.85
That is some extreme price gouging...I just went on glass.net and they quote $215 installed for a new windshield on a 2011 IS 250, $360 for a Prius, and $450 for the HS 250.

What is so special about the CT that it's windshield costs 4x as much as the IS? If this is indicative of repair costs for the CT, I may have to rethink my desire to get one.

·
Registered
170 Posts
That is some extreme price gouging...I just went on glass.net and they quote $215 installed for a new windshield on a 2011 IS 250, $360 for a Prius, and $450 for the HS 250.

What is so special about the CT that it's windshield costs 4x as much as the IS? If this is indicative of repair costs for the CT, I may have to rethink my desire to get one.
Probably that the 5 that were mentioned by the OP, that are coming in, are genuine Lexus parts and the quotes you got are jobber parts?

·
Registered
98 Posts

Probably the old saw of supply and demand. Glass companies have been producing windshields for the cars you listed for some time now. Odds are they had to get their hands on a CT200 and pop the windshield in order to get the specs, after which production began. The CT is so new that there are likely few windshields in the pipeline. Lack of inventory results in high prices. That's the nature of the beast we call capitalism.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
I've seen Winshields cost double that to replace on certain vehicle's, not all are Lexus products either.
You have to remember this winshield is not just all glass. It is designed and built with sound dampning material.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Fortunately I haven't had to replace too many windows on my vehicles, but I always request the OEM glass and will not accept aftermarket glass. That way you know you’re getting the exact spec glass for your vehicle and it includes the manufactures marking e.g. Lexus, Toyota, etc. That's what I pay insurance for, not for them to squeek out with substandard products.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I honestly hope that all of you do not need this info, but just in case....

Windshield - Part# 56101-76310 - List Price of $1,208.55
Molding - Part# 56117-64010 - List Price $29.51
Labor and Adhesive - $205.00 (This will be less after shops know what they are getting into)

My CT does not have the Auto Wipers like my RX450H does, so not sure if this would be a different windshield.

Again, I hope that none of you need this info, but if it saves time its well worth it.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
I honestly hope that all of you do not need this info, but just in case....

Windshield - Part# 56101-76310 - List Price of $1,208.55
Molding - Part# 56117-64010 - List Price $29.51
Labor and Adhesive - $205.00 (This will be less after shops know what they are getting into)

My CT does not have the Auto Wipers like my RX450H does, so not sure if this would be a different windshield.

Again, I hope that none of you need this info, but if it saves time its well worth it.
The vehicle's with Auto Wipers do require a different winshield. Good info though.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Thanks for info, I hope this doesn't become a re-occuring thing amongst CT owners

·
Registered
1 Posts
My brand new CT also had this happen, 6 days into driving and my windshield is shattered beyond repair. I didn't see anything fly into the glass but >50% of the windshield is shattered.

I wonder if it is a manufacturing defect of some sort? I can't believe that this would happen.

·
Registered
410 Posts
A rock hit mine today and I now have about a 13"-14" inch crack across my passenger windshield. I am soooo pissed. Off to call USAA now. Ugh!!

·
Registered
391 Posts
A rock hit mine today and I now have about a 13"-14" inch crack across my passenger windshield. I am soooo pissed. Off to call USAA now. Ugh!!
Sorry to hear this.... is a trend forming? Hope not.. don't need to be spending the savings on gasoline for new windshields..

·
Registered
516 Posts
On my wife's Toyota Sienna XLE Limited, we had a crack too big to repair a couple of months ago. Here in Florida, though, the windshield is the only window that is FREE to replace when cracked or broken. I have State Farm Insurance and they asked me if I wanted a generic or OEM (duh....OEM of course). Some of the questions they asked me from Safelite Autoglass were if my car had DRL's or not...wonder why that would matter on a windshield. Anyway, according to the bill, the whole thing was like $1,500 (I don't pay it, insurance does). Usually, if the crack is smaller than the length of a dollar bill, they try to fix it.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Tragic Gurl. I feel your pain

·
Registered
164 Posts
Oh no sorry to here that.

Let us know how you go.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Well, this morning I see the crack streeeetched out a little bit longer. Maybe 16 inches now. Not pretty. So USAA was awesome. My windshield deductible is $200. They said I can take it to any place of my choosing. (even the dealer) However, I decided to allow Safelite do the work since they will come to my job and do the install. Of course, I opted for the OEM Lexus glass. They placed the order for the Lexus glass today. They asked all those key questions. They assured me they will pull up the VIN# and check all the CT's details to ensure it will be identical when completed. Let's hope... ;-)

After thinking about it, this is my first windshield replacement ever. I hope it ends here!! hehe

1 - 20 of 63 Posts