Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to some site today and read information about the Fukushima in Japan going out of control. It was mentioned that many of the Japanese cars being imported now contain small traces of radiation. Im not trying to discourage anyone from buying the car but since the priuses and cts are made in Japan.. is anyone worried?

Radiation is now found in food, water, ocean etc etc.
God knows we cant trust the government to test food for us let alone.. cars. Several articles have stated that Japanese car makers say there is nothing to worry about. Obviously that cannot be trusted because the Japanese have been lying to its own citizens since the events occurred.

Am I being paranoid here? I don't want to brew in radiation on a daily basis.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I went to some site today and read information about the Fukushima in Japan going out of control. It was mentioned that many of the Japanese cars being imported now contain small traces of radiation. Im not trying to discourage anyone from buying the car but since the priuses and cts are made in Japan.. is anyone worried?

God knows we cant trust the government to test food for us let alone.. cars. Several articles have stated that Japanese car makers say there is nothing to worry about. Obviously that cannot be trusted because the Japanese have been lying to its own citizens since the events occurred.

I wouldn't say there is absolutely no chance that your car has any traces of Radioactive Contamination, but it's unlikely... and even if there was a trace of radioactivity, it probably wouldn't be in any amount to give you a dose much above background. Where do you live? If you happen to live in Colorado your dose from natural radiation is about twice what it would be here in California. I'm pretty sure that they put in controls for shipping to ensure no contaminated items would be shipped out of Japan and it's likely they are still doing random checks of shipments like autos on arrival to the US ports. Also, if it was something that caused you to lose sleep, you MIGHT be able to find someone at your country healthy dept that would have a portable Geiger Muller detector that could do a quick once over of your car. It would be easy enough to determine if anything is above background, however they probably would not want to take the time to do it. Another option is to buy your own detector, many people were buying them shortly after the accident. Or, maybe put an ad on craigslist for someone to help you out if they have one.

I worked in the Nuclear Industry for 25 years.. One of my jobs was ensuring radiation and contamination levels were controlled during any evolution which might be of concern.

Don't worry.. Really.. :)

Edit: Could you provide a link to the specific article you are referring too? I would love to read exactly what it says.. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I had the same thoughts/concerns when told my CT was almost in. When I asked the dealer, they told me they check for all of this at the port and was told it was standard procedure. How true that is?....not really sure.

·
Registered
18 Posts

To tell you frankly, that concern has been worrying me for months since I placed the order earlier. But, I think maybe it is out of question and there is nothing worried about at all.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I wouldn't say there is absolutely no chance that your car has any traces of Radioactive Contamination, but it's unlikely... and even if there was a trace of radioactivity, it probably wouldn't be in any amount to give you a dose much above background. Where do you live? If you happen to live in Colorado your dose from natural radiation is about twice what it would be here in California. I'm pretty sure that they put in controls for shipping to ensure no contaminated items would be shipped out of Japan and it's likely they are still doing random checks of shipments like autos on arrival to the US ports. Also, if it was something that caused you to lose sleep, you MIGHT be able to find someone at your country healthy dept that would have a portable Geiger Muller detector that could do a quick once over of your car. It would be easy enough to determine if anything is above background, however they probably would not want to take the time to do it. Another option is to buy your own detector, many people were buying them shortly after the accident. Or, maybe put an ad on craigslist for someone to help you out if they have one.

I worked in the Nuclear Industry for 25 years.. One of my jobs was ensuring radiation and contamination levels were controlled during any evolution which might be of concern.

Don't worry.. Really.. :)

Edit: Could you provide a link to the specific article you are referring too? I would love to read exactly what it says.. Thanks

Here is an article for back in May (and not in the US) Radioactive Cars from Japan Arrive in Chilean Port
I think the situation has gotten worse since

I live in California, Los Angeles btw
Thanks for the reply, gives me a piece of mind
To be honest I wouldn't give up my ct for a little bit of radiation anyways, we are radiated on a daily basis, or so I've heard. My concern was that maybe there were high doses we were unaware of.

here are some more
http://rt.com/news/prime-time/radioactive-japanese-cars-russia/
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-06-21/australia-tests-imported-cars-for-radiation/2766312

·
Registered
393 Posts
Here is an article for back in May (and not in the US) Radioactive Cars from Japan Arrive in Chilean Port
I think the situation has gotten worse since

I live in California, Los Angeles btw
Thanks for the reply, gives me a piece of mind
To be honest I wouldn't give up my ct for a little bit of radiation anyways, we are radiated on a daily basis, or so I've heard. My concern was that maybe there were high doses we were unaware of.

here are some more
Radioactive Japanese cars detained in Russia?s Far East — RT
Australia tests imported cars for radiation - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Thanks for the links... As expected these cases were early and controls where put in place after some of these initial problems. Most likely these were from fallout settling on the paint and as they said they would just wash them off. If they used just a meter checking for Radiation and noticed higher than background, that is one thing... harder to detect. But if they wiped a cloth all over the car and put it in a very sensitive detector to check for ANY Contamination with radioactive isotopes that were not normal.. that's another story! Very very sensitive and could find any small amount that way.

To be honest this is how it is done in a Nuc Power Plant too... ;) A body temperature shower with gentle soap will usually remove most contamination. If the contamination went INSIDE the body that is another problem. (same if contamination went INSIDE parts of a car). Several quarters during my time working there I worked in a special Whole Body count room. Those people who ingested contamination eventually made their way to me and we did more detailed scans of their body while they lay in a long bed with a scanner that moved above them. After the count, the numbers were crunched by software and they were assigned a dose... We never had any bad cases really. But in Japan I'm sure many workers ingested way to much... I'm not so thrilled about Nuclear Power these days... :(

·
Registered
200 Posts

Being a somewhat paranoid person myself i do not think you are off base. How would the dealers react if you brought a Geiger counter in to the showroom?
It's not just Lexus of course. Honda and Nissan could be shipping "hot" cars in the radiation sense. I think we are all screwed. Sushi anyone?

History has shown us like with Chernobyl that the closest residing residents to the plant that blew were in the most danger. High radiation causing thyroid cancers. Genetic derangement leading to birth defects. The radiation levels on/in the cars has not been studied and of course no Japanese car company wants some scientist with a Geiger counter poking around there cars. Bad for business. We are "probably" at low risk to have our reproductive organs affected even if sitting in the car day after day. It would a good study though.

Cancer rates in the US have not skyrocketed as some predicted in the 1970's from food additives. In fact due to better surveillance small cancers are detected earlier before they become widespread. I think we are at greater risk from radiation from holding the cell phone too close to our head.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I don't know if my CT has high radiation or not, but it sure heats up pizza nicely in the glove box. :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Being a somewhat paranoid person myself i do not think you are off base. How would the dealers react if you brought a Geiger counter in to the showroom?
It's not just Lexus of course. Honda and Nissan could be shipping "hot" cars in the radiation sense. I think we are all screwed. Sushi anyone?

History has shown us like with Chernobyl that the closest residing residents to the plant that blew were in the most danger. High radiation causing thyroid cancers. Genetic derangement leading to birth defects. The radiation levels on/in the cars has not been studied and of course no Japanese car company wants some scientist with a Geiger counter poking around there cars. Bad for business. We are "probably" at low risk to have our reproductive organs affected even if sitting in the car day after day. It would a good study though.

Cancer rates in the US have not skyrocketed as some predicted in the 1970's from food additives. In fact due to better surveillance small cancers are detected earlier before they become widespread. I think we are at greater risk from radiation from holding the cell phone too close to our head.

Glad Im not the only paranoid one here.. I have been avoiding seafood altogether let alone sushi.. never trust the government with your safety. The situation is WAY worse than what the MSM has been exposing.
I would love to bring a Geiger counter to the dealership! and I would totally do it if I had the money to buy one.
If anyone owns one please tell us if your ct passes the test ;)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the links... As expected these cases were early and controls where put in place after some of these initial problems. Most likely these were from fallout settling on the paint and as they said they would just wash them off. If they used just a meter checking for Radiation and noticed higher than background, that is one thing... harder to detect. But if they wiped a cloth all over the car and put it in a very sensitive detector to check for ANY Contamination with radioactive isotopes that were not normal.. that's another story! Very very sensitive and could find any small amount that way.

To be honest this is how it is done in a Nuc Power Plant too... ;) A body temperature shower with gentle soap will usually remove most contamination. If the contamination went INSIDE the body that is another problem. (same if contamination went INSIDE parts of a car). Several quarters during my time working there I worked in a special Whole Body count room. Those people who ingested contamination eventually made their way to me and we did more detailed scans of their body while they lay in a long bed with a scanner that moved above them. After the count, the numbers were crunched by software and they were assigned a dose... We never had any bad cases really. But in Japan I'm sure many workers ingested way to much... I'm not so thrilled about Nuclear Power these days... :(
Thank you for your comforting words. Seems like you know what you are talking about and Ill take your word for it. Its not like Im considering selling my ct because of this but I was just slightly concerned :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Even before i got the call that my Lexus guy got me a CT my partner and I joked to make sure and remember to take our Iodine Pill when we picking up the CTh! lol

·
Registered
82 Posts
You can always call up your local airport/international airport and ask to speak to a customs agent. Every customs office has a geiger counter. If you ask very nicely and politely some of the less busy ones will gladly come out to the parking lot and sweep your car.

I fly corporate for a living and clear customs on a regular basis. I always ask them if they ever found any high levels of radiation in any aircraft or vessel here on the east coast. Every one of them has said the said the same thing. I've never found any radiation (in an honest and normal tone, not the cop "fake answer" voice). Makes me feel a little better I guess. Granted, not many clear customs on the east coast after flying over from J-land.

·
Registered
100 Posts
wow i'm surprised that there is so much paranoia.

let's put this into perspective; there are people in NA that would stop at nothing to make an international auto manufacturer look bad; case in point toyota and the whole "braking scandal" which was never proven to be anything more than user error.

if cars came over with any radiation, you'd know about it. there are plenty of wealthy people around that would love to tell you about it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.