Lexus CT200h Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got it replaced, about a 5-hour job, shocked at the amount of corrosion. I broke off a terminal on the new blades, had to remove the post screw and replace with a thinner one to make it work. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THESE. Once installed it rebooted and everything was fine. No ECU weirdness. Drove it to work the next day then to the car wash, no problems. Checked the dr prius app and all cells are charging and within .08 voltage difference. I did notice the battery didn't drop at night and the ICE seemed to run a lot less. My battery health was at 49% before and I couldn't run it in Eco mode, or it was not any benefit to, now I can run it in Eco mode and it seems like normal mode and the mpg jumps up. Will test for a week and report back.

Audio equipment Electrical wiring Gas Font Technology
Audio equipment Gas Machine Engineering Musical instrument
Wood Engineering Composite material Gas Audio equipment

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good work Noah. It’s guys like you who help the community by getting off your ass and doing something. Kudos to you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got it replaced, about a 5-hour job, shocked at the amount of corrosion. I broke off a terminal on the new blades, had to remove the post screw and replace with a thinner one to make it work. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THESE. Once installed it rebooted and everything was fine. No ECU weirdness. Drove it to work the next day then to the car wash, no problems. Checked the dr prius app and all cells are charging and within .08 voltage difference. I did notice the battery didn't drop at night and the ICE seemed to run a lot less. My battery health was at 49% before and I couldn't run it in Eco mode, or it was not any benefit to, now I can run it in Eco mode and it seems like normal mode and the mpg jumps up. Will test for a week and report back.

View attachment 60959 View attachment 60960 View attachment 60961

Keep us posted. I'm curious as to whether this would allow us to go up to higher speeds in EV mode if not just stay in EV mode longer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am not getting higher speeds in EV mode (this is programmed into the ECU) but it definitely allows EV mode to stay on longer. For instance in a drive-through with my old NiMH battery (which was at 49% health) it would not hold a charge, ICE always kicked in. Now I could go through the car wash twice without any ICE kicking in. Another thing I noticed is in ECO mode it actually works, as in the mpg improves and it isn't ridiculously slow. Another big difference is the braking and cornering seem maybe 5% better, probably due to the weight difference. Definitely a huge improvement overall.

·
Registered
2015 eminent white pearl
411 Posts
I am not getting higher speeds in EV mode (this is programmed into the ECU) but it definitely allows EV mode to stay on longer. For instance in a drive-through with my old NiMH battery (which was at 49% health) it would not hold a charge, ICE always kicked in. Now I could go through the car wash twice without any ICE kicking in. Another thing I noticed is in ECO mode it actually works, as in the mpg improves and it isn't ridiculously slow. Another big difference is the braking and cornering seem maybe 5% better, probably due to the weight difference. Definitely a huge improvement overall.
Have you noticed any difference in highway driving and the EV input during high acceleration? Also, have you only had the car while it had the deteriorated battery?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you noticed any difference in highway driving and the EV input during high acceleration? Also, have you only had the car while it had the deteriorated battery?
Highway driving is "slightly better" maybe 5-10% better mpg, before I noticed there wasn't any EV activity at all now there is some (this is using the hybrid assistant app). If you pulse and glide it works even better. Personally Im horrible at it, sort of a lead foot and no patience. Yes I bought it with the battery in poor condition knowing it will need replaced. But its a 2012 F Sport and I picked it up for cheap.

Also my dash mpg went from 37.1 to 44.0 so far, with absolutely no change in driving habit. I suspect it will continue to go up a little more since its only been 5 days. According to the hybrid app I went from 46 to 53 mpg average. But add that to the better cornering, braking and acceleration due to less weight and its a no brainer.

One thing that may be and issue for some is the electric motor seems to run hotter, obviously because its being used much more now. Just make sure you keep an eye on both ICE and EM temps and you're good.

·
Registered
2015 eminent white pearl
411 Posts
If by "dash mpg" you mean the long term mpg (as oppose to the instant mpg), then that is a significant improvement. I would reset the long term mpg and see it reads in the future. The apps mpg is shorter term mpg and that seems great.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If by "dash mpg" you mean the long term mpg (as oppose to the instant mpg), then that is a significant improvement. I would reset the long term mpg and see it reads in the future. The apps mpg is shorter term mpg and that seems great.
Yes the long term mpg not the trip mpg on the dash. I did reset it shortly after replacing with the new battery, so it should be accurate.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, I did purchase the Lithium batteries. They are in transit and I plan to do the swap myself when they arrive. I just pulled out the back seat and cleaned the blower fan to minimize downtime.

I checked my battery and it's at 49% health, which is pretty poor, the difference in voltage between blades is quite high. I expect to get a CEL soon and cant imagine what a strain it has put on my ICE. My options were to replace the bad cell (the #7 blade) and rebalance and hope the rest of the cells last a bit longer, rebalance the whole system (takes 3 days and costs @ $500-900), purchase new NiMh, or upgrade to LiFePo4 (Nexcell). I chose the last option. Why, because LiFePo4 is half the weight, more energy dense, and newer, cleaner technology(from manufacturing to use to recycling). It also has no off-gassing of hydrogen like NiMh. Quite a long list of pro's.
Any updates on this mate?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any updates on this mate?
Yep, so the dash long-term mpg went from 37.1 to 44, keep in mind my battery health was at 49%. Not an exaggeration to say pretty much everything is better, seems to jump off the line at a green light now, handles better, brakes better. Drives more like a normal car than a hybrid, lugging around a heavy battery.

Using hybrid assistant trip mpg hits 56 pretty consistently. I did notice the electric motor runs hotter because its actually being used and taking the strain off of the ICE. Just keep an eye on the temps, for both, get an app and a Veepeak Mini Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner.

So if you're thinking ROI, like me, a 37.1 to 44 is a 18.5% increase in efficiency. SO basically every 5th fill up is free(at 3 fill ups a month that's 210 per year in savings). Add that to the less wear and tear on the ICE, suspension, brakes and then reduce the 2100 (battery plus shipping) minus the cost to resell the NiMH blades (@500 quick) that's basically a few hundred dollars for a much better ride feel and higher efficiency. It wont turn it into a Golf-R or a P90 but its a big improvement.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yep, so the dash long-term mpg went from 37.1 to 44, keep in mind my battery health was at 49%. Not an exaggeration to say pretty much everything is better, seems to jump off the line at a green light now, handles better, brakes better. Drives more like a normal car than a hybrid, lugging around a heavy battery.

Using hybrid assistant trip mpg hits 56 pretty consistently. I did notice the electric motor runs hotter because its actually being used and taking the strain off of the ICE. Just keep an eye on the temps, for both, get an app and a Veepeak Mini Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner.

So if you're thinking ROI, like me, a 37.1 to 44 is a 18.5% increase in efficiency. SO basically every 5th fill up is free(at 3 fill ups a month that's 210 per year in savings). Add that to the less wear and tear on the ICE, suspension, brakes and then reduce the 2100 (battery plus shipping) minus the cost to resell the NiMH blades (@500 quick) that's basically a few hundred dollars for a much better ride feel and higher efficiency. It wont turn it into a Golf-R or a P90 but its a big improvement.
I will definitely add this to my upgrade wishlist! thanks for your input!

Your next mod must be Gen 4 engine swap but that's a long shot. Just saw a vid at youtube days ago.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts