Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've got a Nextbase camera 622GW, and the hardwiring kit for it.
I've located the fuse box in my car, but not sure which socket I should use for my dashcam.

Here is the image of my fuse box, and the diagram for it:
Product Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Electric blue Font Automotive tire Liquid Gas

Found this website which explains what each socket does:

It says the upper right socket (PWR OUTLET2 15 No circuit). So does that mean that one isn't actually in use for anything? If I were to use it what would be cut off as a result?
What are some other sockets I can safely use to power my dashcam as an alternative source?

· Super Moderator
2016 Blue Lexus CT200h F-Sport
455 Posts
the dashcam and/or kit didn't come with instructions on where to wire it? If you use something like "add a fuse", you don't have to cut off anything. The power outlet 2 probably doesn't have power when the car is off though. It depends on if you want the dashcam to work all the time, or only when driving.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the dashcam and/or kit didn't come with instructions on where to wire it? If you use something like "add a fuse", you don't have to cut off anything. The power outlet 2 probably doesn't have power when the car is off though. It depends on if you want the dashcam to work all the time, or only when driving.
No it doesn't tell you specifically where to wire it, just that you should choose an appropriate slot in your fuse box.
I saw somewhere else that someone used the slot between the RR FOG and STOP, which apparently gave them constant power. If I did use that, there are times where I don't plan on using my dashcam even if car is parked and switched off e.g. parked outside my house or in a high rate crime area (I don't want thieves to target my car just to steal my dashcam).

If I disconnect my dashcam from the plug, and even when ignition is off, will the hardwire kit itself still be drawing out power?
I heard similar case with phone chargers, even when not plugged to a device the charger does still consume very little power so its suggested to just switch plug off when not in use.

· Super Moderator
455 Posts
If you use a fuse tester, you can figure out which ones have power when you want. You can see in the first picture, the fuses have tiny exposed metal on the top so you can touch the tester. I wonder if the blank spots have power, just no fuse or wiring to anything, so maybe you could add a fuse and use that.

I'm not sure about that wiring harness specifically, but I don't see why it would draw power if you unplug the dashcam.

· Registered
11 Posts
Hi
If you have the final answer please share it, i'm actually wiring a dashcam too :)
I have 2 wire, one ACC (+12v only car ON) and one B+ (12v everytime for parking mode).
I saw that POWER OUTLET is ACC and we can use DOOR NO for constant 12V but i'm not sure.

· Registered
3 Posts
Hi
If you have the final answer please share it, i'm actually wiring a dashcam too :)
I have 2 wire, one ACC (+12v only car ON) and one B+ (12v everytime for parking mode).
I saw that POWER OUTLET is ACC and we can use DOOR NO for constant 12V but i'm not sure.
If I'm not mistaken, if you want to constantly record, you might want to get yourself a battery pack or else you might find your car battery drained. I used this tutorial and it was really helpful:

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So i tried using the empty fuse slot between STOP and RR FOG, which according to this user: Dash Cam Hardwired Install
Claims it gave his dashcam constant power. I'm using the NextBase Hardwiring series kit, and it should only need 2 amps.

The empty fuse slot, did give my fuse tester power (even with car ignition off), proving that slot does give constant power.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive exterior

But for some reason it isn't giving my dashcam any power, this black thing (see image below), doesn't light up. It should be constant blue if its receiving power it needs.
White Light Adapter Gadget Ac adapter

So I'm not sure if it's how I'm grounding it? This is how I've currently got it grounded. I've slightly bent the thing, not sure if that's an issue?
When I was grounding it, I did see some sparks of electrcity coming out, so it did seem fine to me.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design
Hand Finger Gesture Thumb Nail

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So i tried using the empty fuse slot between STOP and RR FOG, which according to this user: Dash Cam Hardwired Install
Claims it gave his dashcam constant power. I'm using the NextBase Hardwiring series kit, and it should only need 2 amps.

The empty fuse slot, did give my fuse tester power (even with car ignition off), proving that slot does give constant power.

View attachment 61930

But for some reason it isn't giving my dashcam any power, this black thing (see image below), doesn't light up. It should be constant blue if its receiving power it needs.
View attachment 61931

So I'm not sure if it's how I'm grounding it? This is how I've currently got it grounded. I've slightly bent the thing, not sure if that's an issue?
When I was grounding it, I did see some sparks of electrcity coming out, so it did seem fine to me.
View attachment 61929 View attachment 61933
I also tried the PWR OUTLET2, my fuse tester lit up when my ignition was on, but again dashcam not powering on. No blue light on.
Light Fluid Plastic bottle Nail Material property

Wood Flooring Hardwood Tints and shades Font
Automotive tire Hood Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Auto part

Any idea what i'm doing wrong?

· Super Moderator
455 Posts
It looks like you're doing everything right. Can you test/power the thing directly by hand? like using the bare wires to a connection instead of using all that extra fuse stuff. The extra fuses are installed and not blown?

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It looks like you're doing everything right. Can you test/power the thing directly by hand? like using the bare wires to a connection instead of using all that extra fuse stuff. The extra fuses are installed and not blown?
I've used the included plug that came with the dashcam, and put that into the 12V socket and it powered my dashcam fine. So I know dashcam is working, something wrong with my fuse plugs itself or the way that I somehow set it up?

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Same problem as you. Dashcam won't turn on when plugged into PWR OUTLET2
Maybe the fuse provided with the camera isn't good... maybe i will plug it directly without the additionnal fuse
I ended up replacing my fuse (the Nextbase Series 2 Hardwire kit), and the new one works fine when I plug it between STOP and RR FOG. I can't seem to get the dashcam to work with the PWR OUTLET2 fuse.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Vehicle
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Audio equipment Cable Wire
Window Hood Car Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

But yeah using the empty fuse slot between STOP and RR FOG works fine to power up my Nextbase Dashcam 622GW, as its constant dashcam can work on parking mode. But if I'm just parked up on my driveway then I just take the dashcam out. I only plan to use dashcam parkmode when I'm only parking for short hours, any longer and I'm plugging it out.

In case anyone wondering, I just bought a cheap fuse tester on eBay for only £3. Great if you're trying to figure out which ones are constant or not.
Font Circuit component Electrical wiring Cable Wire

1 - 15 of 15 Posts