Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm looking into getting a dash cam and I have a few questions.

1) Are there any dash cams people recommend? I don't care about screens - all i need to know is that it's turned on but I understand most models come with screens now.

2) I have searched for battery powered dash cams, my ideal was to have one I could charge every night but it seems they don't exist. So i have accepted that I'll need to hardwire. Where is the fusebox in the CT? Is to the fusebox the easiest method to hardwire? Any tips?

3) Does anybody have any experience in hardwiring anything and how to make wires as hidden as possible (from the mirror)?

4) Are there any issues I should be concerned with hardwiring in terms of draining batteries etc?

Thanks everyone.

Many thanks, Ben

·
Registered
33 Posts
I purchased the LG Innotek LGD521 with hardwire install kit, optional GPS module, and upgraded 64Mb micro SD card from amazon @ $376.

It's very similar to the Blackvue except the low voltage control is integral with the camera instead of a separate box which made it easier to install.

You'll need two mini fuse create a circuit adapters to provide ignition and constant (battery) power for the unit to function in regular recording mode and parking mode.

There's a fuse box (white) under the driver-side knee panel, proximal to the OBD-2 port. You'll remove the cover, source the constant voltage from one of the 3 open fuse slots in the middle column, then connect the ignition wire to the 10A ignition fuse slot. The cover will remain off and you can stow it in your glove box in case you need it later.

I mounted the front camera behind the rear view mirror to eliminate the silhouette. The rear camera can either go on the hatch window or on the moonroof control panel (for Uber/Lyft drivers). If you need to monitor traffic behind you, it has to go in th rear window otherwise the exposure difference is too great for the camera to clearly show the back seat and the outside, rear.

I have pics but Photobucket has gone full corporate and started charging so I'm trying to migrate the data. For now, text is all I have.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts