Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CT is the 1st car I've had in a very long time that didn't have standard HIDs. I see alot of threads/posts on the HID install. Has anyone here tried the H11 to H9 conversion for the lows? I've read and heard that the light output from this conversion is much better for useable light; however, I have not read about any CT owners doing this yet. Opinions? Experience with this? Anything would be helpful. I'm planning on experimenting with this mod this weekend.

·
Registered
77 Posts
sounds like a good idea, i dont believe anyone has attempted it and posted about it here. But let us know what your results are if you attempt it, I may just do the HID's and "squirrel finder" elimination but this is a good second option, my third option is a retrofit :p

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I am not sure why you are going to H9, because they wouldn't be even as bright as the 35W HID conversions. And if you want bright there is always the 55w HID. However, assuming you have the idea to go to H9s, here is a fairly informative article about H11 replacement with H9 lights.

H9 bulbs - what are my options? - Bob Is The Oil Guy

One thing you will notice they say, is that the H9s run hotter.

Good Luck ,

ModCow3

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm weighing my options at the moment. I've got a pair of bulbs coming from Amazon for $14. It's a cheap experiment at the least. At first, I was planning on purchasing a Morimoto H11 HID kit, but my buddy convinced me to give the H9s a shot since they're cheap and many other people have had success. From what I have researched, the H9s will give me more usable light than a plug and play HID kit. Yes, I am aware that the H9s will run 10w hotter than the H11s; however, the H9 light output is double what the H11 is. Also, to honestly get the HID kit to run correctly, a retrofit should be done. While the CT has projector headlamps, there are halogen projectors and not HID projectors (which would put more glare onto oncoming traffic than onto the road). I plan on keeping check as best as I can and see what happens. I would love to do a HID retrofit but I'm not willing to spend that kind of cash at the moment.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I'm weighing my options at the moment. I've got a pair of bulbs coming from Amazon for $14. It's a cheap experiment at the least. At first, I was planning on purchasing a Morimoto H11 HID kit, but my buddy convinced me to give the H9s a shot since they're cheap and many other people have had success. From what I have researched, the H9s will give me more usable light than a plug and play HID kit. Yes, I am aware that the H9s will run 10w hotter than the H11s; however, the H9 light output is double what the H11 is. Also, to honestly get the HID kit to run correctly, a retrofit should be done. While the CT has projector headlamps, there are halogen projectors and not HID projectors (which would put more glare onto oncoming traffic than onto the road). I plan on keeping check as best as I can and see what happens. I would love to do a HID retrofit but I'm not willing to spend that kind of cash at the moment.
For a $14 investments try it. Good Luck; hope it works and you like the color of the light output

With 4300K (matches LED strip) or ( 6000k bluish white; lights the road really nice) The Morimoto HIDs are quality and a lot of people like them. You can always install them later if the H9s don't work out. I went with Kensun and have had them installed 1 1/2 years without any problems. Originally went with DDM and had light firing problem; personally wouldn't recommend them.

Good Luck either way you go.

Also, like the LED fog lights for look; bright white but don't put out a lot of light to the road. If you encounter a lot of fog condition the OEM or yellow halogen Sylvania seem to provide more light.

MidCow3

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At 14 bucks, it's a cheap experiment. I'd like to document this but I have no clue how to upload pics. As soon as my bulbs arrive and I can find some time away from work and the family, I'll be on it. As for the fog lights, I've ordered yellow Hella bulbs. If I decide to go the HID route, I'd like to get some 4300k Morimotos in a retrofit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
RSo418 - How did it work out with the H9 conversion? I am thinking of trying it myself as one of my Eiko bulbs burned out after 10 months and 14,000 miles.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just did the conversion with the Bulbzilla H11 to H9 harness, so you do not have to remove a plastic tab from the base of the bulb. You do have to cut off part of the middle metal tab but that takes only a few minutes with wire cutters. It is now much brighter than the Eiko bulbs I had before because H9 is the same bulb as our high beams. I highly recommend it. The harness adapter is $30 but you do not really need it if you just remove the tab. Here is a link to instructions and comments from the Prius chat forum which links to the Mazda forum where there are photos and instructions of what to cut. I tried to paste the PDF I saved but it is too large.http://priuschat.com/threads/h11-to-h9-headlight-bulb-conversion.115670/

http://forum.mazda6club.com/exterior-modifications/238968-h11-h9-fog-light-conversion.html

·
Registered
692 Posts
Can you post some pics? Trying to decide whether to just keep the stock lights, go with some HID kit, try the Crystalvision bulbs, or maybe this conversion.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I never thought anyone's photos of their lights were worth much. It only shows color, not how well you can see down the road. With these you can see really far down the road, about as well as the HID factory lights in my RX350. Do you want to see better or just have pretty lights that match in color spectrum? The bulbs I used are the same color as the stock bulbs, both high and low beam. This is probably around 3300 kelvin, not as white as Crystalvision, but it is known this spectrum gives the best night visibility, certainly go no higher than 5000 if you want to see better. With HID such as Morimoto you can choose your kelvin range and color. I will advise you can do the H9 conversion for $50. The HID is $150 and the Crystalvision or Similar bulbs such as Osram Nightbreakers cost as much. I have a pair of Nightbreakers unopened I bought before learning of the H9 conversion. They cost $45. I may stick them in the fogs or sell them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts