Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone upgraded their entertainment system with the New VLine VL2 System for 2011 - 2012 Lexus CT200h with Nav? I really like this system as it keeps all the original functions plus add Android Auto and Apple CarPlay without changing the factory radio/audio system. I was about to pull the trigger today but wanted to know if anybody here has it installed in their CT200h. There is video on YouTube showing the installation in a 2015 Lexus CT200h but that does not work with the 2012 CT200h as you have to connect the VL2 to the Multimedia ECU located on the rear console instead of the factory radio.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm very interested for this unit as well but I am a little skeptical about it. My main fear is the installation process. I don't have any experience in these stuff and I am not sure if an aftermarket car electrician will be able to install it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Got the GROM VLine VL2 for 2012 Lexus CT200h delivered today. Here some unboxing photos. BTW, it looks very professional and well packaged.

Hardness cable (5 ft) is long enough to place the VL2 in the glove compartment as the ECU is right under USB/AUX port and the VL2 connects to the ECU, not to the factory radio.

I'm going to make a video of the installation and will post photos as well. I have the 2012 Lexus CT200h service manual so it should be easy to install this guy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wanted to give a small update. I did install the VL2 in my 2012 Lexus CT200h with Nav and it's working. It has a few glitches that Grom Audio are aware of already and they are working on a firmware update that should be released either tomorrow or Friday. As soon I get the new firmware installed and get all the issues sorted out by Grom Audio, I will post my full review and installation process. The most important feature for me is Apple CarPlay and it works great without any issues so far. Sometimes I get a black screen but switching inputs fix it. Grom Audio is looking into this issue already.

Here are a few photos of Apple CarPlay interface in my 2012 Lexus CT200h:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wanted to give a small update. I did install the VL2 in my 2012 Lexus CT200h with Nav and it's working. It has a few glitches that Grom Audio are aware of already and they are working on a firmware update that should be released either tomorrow or Friday. As soon I get the new firmware installed and get all the issues sorted out by Grom Audio, I will post my full review and installation process. The most important feature for me is Apple CarPlay and it works great without any issues so far. Sometimes I get a black screen but switching inputs fix it. Grom Audio is looking into this issue already.

Here are a few photos of Apple CarPlay interface in my 2012 Lexus CT200h:

View attachment 60013

View attachment 60015

View attachment 60016
Thank you for keeping us updated! It looks really nice and i'm that close to place an order as well. Regarding the black screen issue. Does it happen often? Reverse camera is working ok?
Can't wait for your full review.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Reverse camera does work without a single issue. I would say that reverse camera and CarPlay are rock solid. Things that don't work but should be working are:

1.- UI Shortcut: You click on the UI Shortcut icon and it should take you to OEM factory screen so you can adjust USB Audio settings as the VL2 in the 2010 - 2012 Lexus CT200h plugs into the system via the USB OEM port. Basically you loose the factory USB port but gain 2 x USB ports from the VLine VL2. Also found an adapter that let you move the VLine USP port into the same place where the factory USB port is located. I will show pictures later. The adapter is only $13.

2.- According to Dmitry from Grom Audio, overlay volume and A/C changes (pop up window on top) should be working but for some weird reason they are not in my CT200h. They are looking into this issue as well.

3.- The black screen starts happening as son I get a phone call on the iPhone I have paired into the factory bluetooth system. After that, if I press MENU on the mouse, I get to see the factory menu screen for 3 secs then it goes black and back to VLine screen. It does not stay on factory MENU screen. Turning ignition OFF and ON clears the issue until I get another phone call. Temporary solution was to unpair my iPhone from factory bluetooth and no back screens. Also there is a black screen that happens sometimes when in CarPlay mode between 5 to 10 mins after starting CarPlay but switching between inputs clears the issue and then CarPlay locks for good and no more black screens. They are also looking into this issue.

Here is a short video showing reverse camera and black screen issue while using Apple CarPlay:

https://youtu.be/QMK-5cqnzec

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a query. How does the ¨back¨ function work with remote mouse? I mean, mine remote mouse doesn't have a back button, so how do you navigate through the menus if you want to go back? I assume by moving the cursor to the back button, but is it convenient?. Overall, would you recommend someone to buy it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is no "Back" button on the remote touch. There is a back button on every screen that you click on it if you want to go back. Convenient? Nope but you get use to it. Do I recommend the unit in its current state? maybe not. I'm going to hold my recommendation until I see if they can fix the issues I have right now. As of right now, I'm keeping it because Apple CarPlay works almost at 100% which is what I care but they need to fix at least the UI Shortcut for me to access the USB Audio settings when in VLine mode.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is no "Back" button on the remote touch. There is a back button on every screen that you click on it if you want to go back. Convenient? Nope but you get use to it. Do I recommend the unit in its current state? maybe not. I'm going to hold my recommendation until I see if they can fix the issues I have right now. As of right now, I'm keeping it because Apple CarPlay works almost at 100% which is what I care but they need to fix at least the UI Shortcut for me to access the USB Audio settings when in VLine mode.
I got mine VL2 yesterday and I will try to install it on Sunday. Can you please share some tips for the installation process and it will be much appreciated if you can share the overall installation process. ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry for the late response but I returned mine last Wednesday. GROM already issued my refund yesterday. After the last software update the audio became distorted, black screens were frequently and UI Shortcut never worked so I wasn't able to adjust USB Audio settings. I know with time they would have get it working right but after paying $550 you are suppouse to get something that at least works. The breaking point for me was the broken audio after the last firmware. It was literally unusable. If you are going to install, I would recommend you to NOT perform any software or firmware update before contacting GROM and ask them if they fixed the broken audio issue. Also, they promised me every day a software update to fix the broken UI Shortcut that never got it working so been in the returning window it was a no brainer for me to return it back for a full refund.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts