Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Dang, that's a LOT of work! Not worth all of that effort IMO!

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
thats an acura TL.. most of thost lights are standard save from the really bright blue ones near the clock
Did you ever open the link showing the pictures and the description of how he changed out the led's, I don't see any Acura stuff there? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya it isnt an acura...

but anyways.. i used to own a civic, and i see people switiching out the colours easily since they were just individual bulbs, but for this car, they are leds that are welded to boards, whcih i am scared of short circuiting since we have a hybrid with so much technology...

but the green really makes eth car look dated compared to the white

·
Registered
131 Posts
ya it isnt an acura...

but anyways.. i used to own a civic, and i see people switiching out the colours easily since they were just individual bulbs, but for this car, they are leds that are welded to boards, whcih i am scared of short circuiting since we have a hybrid with so much technology...

but the green really makes eth car look dated compared to the white
Just to clarify, the interior electronic is no different from any other car, you still have 12V and you wont blow the electric engine by blowing a fuse in the coupé :) If you are inside the radio and makes a fault you will blow the radio, amp, speakers(not likely) or a fuse somewhere. Its expensive enough, but you wont risk blowing the hybrid system :D

Its no hard operation, the hard part usually is to choose the right kind of led. You want it to be the same color as the rest, you want it to be right brightness (brighter than the rest looks bad and is irritating for the eyes, less bright than rest looks bad) and you need it to be the right voltage and amps.

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Just curious, if anyone was to do this and accidentally welded super bright LEDs; does the brightness control that controls the dash lights control the brightness of the console lights too? Maybe something to think about if you're driving in the pitch black and can't adjust your console lights. LOL.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If anyone attempts this please keep us posted, definitely something I'd love to do for my CT!
Just in time, a decade later (still in progress).
Vehicle Plant Lighting Media player Motor vehicle

Speedometer Car Trip computer Vehicle Plant

So far as of 03/06/22. I'm still waiting for more LED's to arrive before I tackle the non-navigation headunit/radio.
Gas Circuit component Engineering Electronic device Machine

Picture above the driver window switch panel (1206 LED's x5) and some of my workstation (additional helping hands, magnifier lens/light not pictured).

Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic engineering Electronic component

Steering wheel (0603 x9). Super tiny LEDs
Circuit component Electronic engineering Gas Audio equipment Engineering

I still need to do the head unit above, it uses the same tiny 0603 LEDs x64 (30 underneath the screen/display).
Green Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Electrical wiring

Above is the shifter light (had an extra), it uses a four lead common cathode, but the Oznium PLCC-4's aren't the same as the Toyota 4-Lead LEDs (Info taken from Dylan via Priuschat forum. So I went with his recommendation to use a 1206 and ignore the second pair of pads as you can see above (good enough for me). Just wired A (power) and K (ground).

upload_2016-4-24_14-0-7.png

upload_2016-4-24_14-1-54.png

Two pics above are not mine. They're Dylan's, using these as examples.
For the passenger front, & rear window switches. Instead of purchasing a 3mm domed/diode, I also copied Dylan and soldered a 1206 in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 CT200H F-Sport
111 Posts
This is awesome! Looks so much better than the green. For the life of me I can't figure out why lexus did that with the green. I did something similar with our Solara and LEDS and it was too bright. It was actually distracting.

What i'd like to do if get some OEM lexus dash/window pieces that are already the natural white color lexus has been using for years and take the LEDS off of that and do the same to the CT!
I found that no matter what LED I used I could not match the hue that lexus white leds have. Mine were either way too cold/white/ or they were too warm but regardless they were very bright.

-Nigel

·
Registered
2016 CT200H F-Sport
111 Posts
So I'm going to start this I'm excited because I think I'm hoping this is going to work.

I know for a fact that the Lexus NX has white interior LED lighting because my wife has it. My RCF also has it I'm pretty sure most modern lexuses have white lighting we're like the red-headed stepchild with green interior for some reason.

I went on eBay and purchased a climate control unit for 15 bucks that's used I don't care if it was broken or not surprisingly it's not broken and I also purchased a 2016 NX climate control dash piece for like 50.

I have a hot air soldering station so what my plan is going to be is desolder the green LEDs from the board and rather than getting super bright s&d LEDs that are going to be entirely too bright for night driving I'm going to desolder hopefully the white LEDs from the NX and solder them onto the CTs board.

I'll update with progress but I figured it was better to purchase a couple used pieces and practice on those rather than possibly ruining mine lol.

Building Rectangle World Urban design Wall

Circuit component Passive circuit component Electronic instrument Hardware programmer Audio equipment

Passive circuit component Circuit component Electronic component Computer hardware Electronic engineering

The letters on the board are simply so that I know which ones are green which ones are blue, orange, red, green, etc....

-Nigel

·
Super Moderator
2016 Blue Lexus CT200h F-Sport
430 Posts
Great idea! My only concern is messing up the white LEDs by desoldering and resoldering them, since heat kills them. But if you can be very quick about it, it should be fine. Hope it works out and that the voltages and currents are the same!

·
Registered
2016 CT200H F-Sport
111 Posts
With the hot air soldering station you have a much easier/faster time removing/reflowing solder and or removing chips compared to using a hot iron. Good news is that the NX piece has 20 white LEDS. I am testing stuff now, but I believe I should be able to remove the leds and where there are all green leds on the board replace them with the white.

This is roughly what it would look like with just one lit up white. I think it will look a lot better than the green honestly. The little screen above that shows us the temp and time..etc., that's white.
Unfortunately with my phone there's really no good way of capturing the white LED backlit. The cameras making it seem like it's extremely bright and it's not the case at all once I get this complete I'll try to get better pictures.
Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic instrument Passive circuit component Computer hardware

Black Circuit component Passive circuit component Electronic engineering Computer hardware

Vehicle Plant Car Window Vehicle door

Cloud Automotive lighting Sky Sleeve Gesture

-Nigel

·
Registered
2016 CT200H F-Sport
111 Posts
Just a small update. I ordered around 100 bucks worth of SMD LEDS from mouser last week and they finally came in.
I ordered samples of about 30 SMD leds in white..lol

I'm trying to match close to the OEM Lexus white color. At first I thought I wanted to match the gauge cluster but that's too white/cool for me. The same color as our ignition switch is what I am going for in all the green locations. I have only gone through about half the LEDS in testing and found two that are almost a near identical match. The one is actually shaped the same as the greeen smd led in the hvac cluster.

I will be testing in stages where I will narrow it down to 3 leds per sections and then tape off the exterior and see how it looks. Some of the LEDS I've noticed are a nice white color but entirely TOO bright... and I ran into this one time doing my steering wheel controls on our other car where the pure bright white looked awesome in my basement, but when I put it on the car and driving at night for a couple evenings found that it was just too distracting having steering wheel buttons shining at me. I'm trying to avoid this since I do a lot of early morning dark/ night time driving.

I might even change it up it slightly and where the volume knobs are on the stereo make those a different color, such as red..etc. We'll see. So far I've been ordering "spare" ebay sections of the car that I can find as cheap as possible since it's easier to modify and or destroy those and test than do it on my good pieces. Plus I won't have down time in between trying to figure out the colors... if I don't like it, I take out the test piece and put my fully functional stock piece back in, then back to the drawing boards.

Once I start getting into it more I'll supply part numbers and what not.

The reason I bought all my leds from mouser is because when I've purchased SMD leds from Amazon/Ebay, they are always too bright. They are always labeled as "super bright" or max MCDs...etc. Which is going to be too much I think. Luckily I have navi so I don't have to mess with the lcd screen on the oem stereo like others would have. I've got the console coming in next week as well so that will be neat to play with. Might make the EV button blue or something like that...lol. It'll be fun to play around with it slightly and see what I can get for results.

-Nigel

·
Registered
2016 CT200H F-Sport
111 Posts
I'm trying to find the proper LED that's common anode for the center console area that highlight the dial and park and drive etc.

But this is my setup so far I have spare parts for pretty much everything now that I can test on and not have to worry about being down in my car and or ruining something lol.

Table Personal computer Computer Peripheral Electronic instrument

Table Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Desk

Table Desk Chair Audio equipment Engineering

Gotta order more LEDs.

-Nigel

1 - 17 of 17 Posts