Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
International government agencies have mandated that all hybrids have a "sound" to warn pedestrians of oncoming vehicle.

Here is what the Prius is going to sound like. I guess the CT will have the same system on the 2012's. I hope the on/off switch is an option.

So much for hybrids solving the noise pollution issue. Thanks BIG GOVERNMENT!!!:mad:

Video: Toyota Prius gets external audio speaker to warn pedestrians - rpmGo.com

·
Registered
193 Posts
International government agencies have mandated that all hybrids have a "sound" to warn pedestrians of oncoming vehicle.

Here is what the Prius is going to sound like. I guess the CT will have the same system on the 2012's. I hope the on/off switch is an option.

So much for hybrids solving the noise pollution issue. Thanks BIG GOVERNMENT!!!:mad:

Video: Toyota Prius gets external audio speaker to warn pedestrians - rpmGo.com
And what noise does a cyclist make when he is on the road! He has a bell, we have a dual tone horn, soon makes people move I find!

What a nanny state we all live in, personally I would like to have seen the headlight washers being directional, a quick squirt of water will let someone know you were there!! Tee Hee.

I did hear something about this but when I heard about it they were talking about making the sound a user selectable engine noise, in other words you could choose your engine sound, V8, V10, V12 rumble, I am sure if they give us this type of sound to play with then we would accept it, or alternatively just link it to the mic in the car and we can all shout 'GET OUT OF THE WAY'!!!!!

Last thing, wonder how the deaf know if there is ANY car behind them? I guess they just check rather than just walking out. Here in the UK we used to have a thing called the Green Cross Code, taught to all children, look left, like right, look left again, if it is clear then cross the road (reverse this for other countries).

Last, last thing, with many people using MP3 players, or on the telephone when walking, you could be driving a jet powered car and they will still walk out in front of you!

Rant for the day over..........:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Now here's a chance to have an awful ot of fun. Doubtless the aftermarket will have "sound chips" from which we can chose the sounds of growling lions, jet engines, cars crashing, elephants trumpeting, the space shuttle lifting off........oh boy!!! :p

·
Registered
245 Posts
I like the off button. I'm surprised it's there.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Very interesting. Thank you for the information/clip.

I'm not a fan of the sound but as long as it cannot be heard from the cabin, at the end of the day it won't affect me.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Man, if I could count the number of times I've been hit by a car because I couldn't hear it coming...

·
Registered
18 Posts
That sounds awful! I have a good idea. How about people stop walking in the street. or not text and walk across the street at the same time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not to get ahead of ourselves, but the Federation of the Blind has PROPOSED something to Congress. Good for the Federation. It's the job of advocacy groups to advocate. That's a long way from saying that Congress is even thinking about this.

Even if they were, fortunately, Prius drivers are even more annoying than Congress. :D I don't see them letting this happen.

In any case, all the more reason to jump on a 2011 model now. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not to get ahead of ourselves, but the Federation of the Blind has PROPOSED something to Congress. Good for the Federation. It's the job of advocacy groups to advocate. That's a long way from saying that Congress is even thinking about it.
They did....and thats why we have to have a dang buzzer on our cars. Here's the law. Your BIG GOVERNMENT at work. Now maybe they can work on the economy.:p

The Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2010 was approved by the U.S. Senate by unanimous consent on December 9, 2010 and passed by the House of Representatives by 379 to 30 on December 16, 2010. The act does not stipulate a specific speed for the simulated noise but requires the U.S. Department of Transportation to study and establish a motor vehicle safety standard that would set requirements for an alert sound that allows blind and other pedestrians to reasonably detect a nearby electric or hybrid vehicle, and the ruling must be finalized within eighteen months. The bill was signed into law by President Barack Obama on January 4, 2011

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think that this is a good idea. There are always kids in the street in my neighborhood, riding their bikes, skateboarding, walking the dog, etc... If their walking in the same direction that I'm driving, they can't hear me coming. I'd rather not honk the horn, which would be more likely to startle them, possibly causing them to fall.

I think that a reasonable volume noise that allows people to know that a car is coming, even if they don't see it makes a lot of sense.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Can't you just hear the stand up comics......
And the bumper stickers?

My truck just ate your "whiney" hybrid.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
That sound is awful, sounds like someone is getting beamed up into a space ship. Why not just have a sound that resembles a normal engine or exhaust sound? I too am surprised it has an off button, but then again it makes sense. Only use it when you need to (like driving on local road with kids in the area).

·
Registered
205 Posts
That sound is awful, sounds like someone is getting beamed up into a space ship. Why not just have a sound that resembles a normal engine or exhaust sound? I too am surprised it has an off button, but then again it makes sense. Only use it when you need to (like driving on local road with kids in the area).
I believe it only has the OFF button cause of a Europe country having a noise pollution law during late and early morning hours.

Otherwise I believe it will be attached to the Speed sensor and only work under 15 MPH.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I believe it only has the OFF button cause of a Europe country having a noise pollution law during late and early morning hours.

Otherwise I believe it will be attached to the Speed sensor and only work under 15 MPH.
That really stinks for us here in the US. Thanks gov't.

·
Registered
52 Posts
ah, that would take all the fun out of it.....I enjoy driving in the underground carpark at the local shopping centre in full battery mode and sneaking up on unsuspecting pedestrians:D

·
Registered
239 Posts
I think if they force these upon me I'll swap them out for some nice air horns.

This will do the trick:

Northern Auto Parts : Wolo Truck Horns, Semi-Truck & 18 Wheeler horns

Tiptoe up to unsuspecting pedestrian, sneak sneak sneak: BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Wolo Silver Streak Express DD with direct drive compressor model 836 / 115 Decibels-300 HZ The Silver Streak Express DD is the perfect addition to any truck, RV, etc. This attractive horn is designed with an air chamber that will produce a powerful echo sound that replicates a locomotive. Installation is made easy with Wolo's heavy-duty compressor and flexible inlet air fitting.

The Wolo Silver Streak Express DD trumpets are all metal triple chrome plated to withstand all weather conditions. The metal base secures to the vehicles using a rubber gasket and stainless steel bolts, providing a water tight installation.

I wonder if they'll try and stick me with the dry cleaning bill after they crap their pants?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts