Lexus CT200h Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nothing wired to the fuse box...there are the ECU connectors (like a rectangular box) that connect one side to the existing headlight wire and the other side to a ballast...then, one cable from the ballast goes to the wires coming from the new HID bulb. Totally plug and play...these baby's really light up the road...get a set---you won't be disappointed. And, if u get them and don't think you can do it...you can either find a shop or return them. I had no idea what I was doing before attempting so I paid a shop who specializes in light conversions $50 to install...he asked me to watch him install so I would learn in case I ever wanted to remove them. We didn't bolt the ballasts down but tied them with those plastic adjustable ties to the far sides of firewall.
Hi, do you have to connect to ground like the battery or frame?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Installed my kit today

Today I've installed the Morimoto HID kit recommended by bondguy. Installation took about 1hr and 15 mins. I had no issues fitting the bulbs in the sockets. I am really happy with the installation and the way the lights look. Below are some pictures.

Here is a picture of the kit before install:

On the driver side all I did was remove the top black plastic cover. I've attached the ballast to the underside piece of metal that the plastic cover attaches to:

On the passenger side I removed the top black plastic cover and the jug of pink liquid. The ballast is attached the same as on the driver's side, but with zipties only as I couldn't find an appropriate location to bolt it.

Here is a picture of the HID (on the driver side) vs the stock halogen (on the passenger side):

Here is a close-up at night:

Here is a close-up of the HID vs the stock high beam:

Unrelated, but here are pictures of interior and license plate with LEDs I installed:

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice job !
Thank you. The only thing that worries me a bit is the use of the zip ties and the fact that they may become brittle and break after a winter. Once the weather warms up I will have to spend more time and look for a suitable place to bolt the ballasts to the frame or replace the zip ties with some automotive grade ones (or some industrial grade velcro straps).

·
Registered
371 Posts
Great job and the pictures you took are fantastic.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thank you. The only thing that worries me a bit is the use of the zip ties and the fact that they may become brittle and break after a winter. Once the weather warms up I will have to spend more time and look for a suitable place to bolt the ballasts to the frame or replace the zip ties with some automotive grade ones (or some industrial grade velcro straps).
If it makes you feel any better...I did the same thing...I only used the zip ties...no bolting down. Of course, here in sunny Ft Lauderdale, we don't get weather as cold and harsh as you do. If you can and get a chance, post a pic of the beam pattern...I doh't quite understand what you meant by the light area goes dark after the beam pattern (or something like that). My lights light up at least two lanes on either side and very bright and white (5000K) in front of the car. They do have a purple flicker at start up but so do a lot of factory HID lights on cars from Europe that I have owned....they don't flicker on and off...and they get to full white brightness very quickly...probably within 7-10 seconds and only after a cold start from sitting overnight....otherwise, they come on bright white at start -up. Glad you like them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If it makes you feel any better...I did the same thing...I only used the zip ties...no bolting down. Of course, here in sunny Ft Lauderdale, we don't get weather as cold and harsh as you do. If you can and get a chance, post a pic of the beam pattern...I doh't quite understand what you meant by the light area goes dark after the beam pattern (or something like that). My lights light up at least two lanes on either side and very bright and white (5000K) in front of the car. They do have a purple flicker at start up but so do a lot of factory HID lights on cars from Europe that I have owned....they don't flicker on and off...and they get to full white brightness very quickly...probably within 7-10 seconds and only after a cold start from sitting overnight....otherwise, they come on bright white at start -up. Glad you like them.
What I meant by the light area going dark is this: I drove the car at night on a country road with no street lights - complete darkness. The lights light up about 200 or so feet in front of the car. But, at the point where the beam of light ends (200 or so ft in front of the car) the change from light to dark is very abrupt. It almost looks like a black wall. Now, this may be because the lit area is so bright. It may also be the case with halogens, I don't know, I never tried this experiment with the original halogens. It's a bit scary when you drive at a bit of a higher speed (I was doing about 80 KM/h). It was even worse when coming off a peak in the road and going down an incline and then the road went up again - it felt like the road was suddenly "coming at me".

On a different note, I had my wife drive behind me at night to see how the lights look and when she was going over bumps in the road (so going up and down) I could definitely see a lot of "flaring" in the rear view mirror - quite annoying. Probably more so for drivers coming the opposite way. I suppose that's the downside of not having factory HIDs with the auto-levelling feature (I never noticed this with BMWs or other cars that have the factory HIDs).

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Nice work. Yeah, I used HD velcro for my ballasts, found some @ Home Depot actually, they were big circular velcro patches, I just trimmed them to fit.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Here's a few shots...not the best as I took them with my iPhone 4S but it will give you an idea how bright these lights are for 35W bulbs...remember, these are the 5000K color...from what I have read, as you get to the higher up colors, the amount of light produced diminishes greatly...that is why people with the real purple headlight bulbs (8000K or higher) don't emit too much light...they use them because they think the purple color looks cool...Not to me. Factory brightness for an HID bulb is right at 4200...full light output there. So, I went a little bit more to 5000K but not enough to lose even more light output like at 6000K.
looks like you will be blinding anyone that passes by.....

·
Registered
232 Posts
What I meant by the light area going dark is this: I drove the car at night on a country road with no street lights - complete darkness. The lights light up about 200 or so feet in front of the car. But, at the point where the beam of light ends (200 or so ft in front of the car) the change from light to dark is very abrupt. It almost looks like a black wall. Now, this may be because the lit area is so bright. It may also be the case with halogens, I don't know, I never tried this experiment with the original halogens. It's a bit scary when you drive at a bit of a higher speed (I was doing about 80 KM/h). It was even worse when coming off a peak in the road and going down an incline and then the road went up again - it felt like the road was suddenly "coming at me".

On a different note, I had my wife drive behind me at night to see how the lights look and when she was going over bumps in the road (so going up and down) I could definitely see a lot of "flaring" in the rear view mirror - quite annoying. Probably more so for drivers coming the opposite way. I suppose that's the downside of not having factory HIDs with the auto-levelling feature (I never noticed this with BMWs or other cars that have the factory HIDs).
cars with HIDs usually have adaptive lights and auto-leveling.

its true that whatever that was lit up by your lights are really really clear and bright however, the cutoff will suffer as the our eyes will get tired trying to see past the lit areas. its like walking from a bright room into a dark one. our eyes cannot switch immediately.

this could be one of the advantages of the halogen. its not that bright to begin so the cut-off isnt that great. so your eyes will not need to adapt too much. its like walking from a dimly lit room to a dark room. its quicker for our eyes to adapt.

on the other note, whereby our HIDs look like its throwing glare all over? yes. because our halogen lens are not meant for this much of lumens going through.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts