Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
anyone ever tried something similar to this? i bought this glass coat product and i might apply this on my car when i get home today. if not, tomorrow. kinda makes me nervous though. i have to strip off all the wax and oil on my car, and apply this, as the instructions says.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there's not much info on its box.

right, there's nothing on their website. but they directed me to get the product to this store. link below.
VX1 Pro Glass Coating 50ML

--
This is the PRO series of the best seller VX1 Signature, providing a higher silica content which translates into slightly better gloss and durability.

The high silica-content glass coatings are applied to the paint in a thin layer as a liquid, and once cured, 22ple literally leaves a hardened glass barrier between the paint (or other protected areas) and the harmful elements. So not only does this glass barrier provide a brilliant gloss and shine, it offers a level of protection to your car that can’t be equaled by any wax or sealant. While most carnauba waxes last only a month or two, and sealants upwards of 4-6 months, you can expect 18-24 months durability with 22ple Glass Coating!

One of the key features of this coating is that harmful and destructive contaminants won’t stick to the surface as easily…leaving your paint in much better condition for a longer period of time. And since there’s less “stick” on the surface, you’ll find that washing and drying is MUCH easier and quicker. Your wash mitt will glide across the surface like never before (creating a safer, mar-free wash process), and drying is near effort-less due to the hydrophobic properties of 22ple.
--

---
What is 22PLE Signature Glass Coating?

22PLE Signature Glass Coating (also known as VX1) is a high silica-based paint coating that can be applied to clearcoat and non clear coated automobile paint to protect the paint from the elements. But rather than lasting a few weeks or even a few months, 22PLE has been proven to last 1-2 years during it’s extensive beta tests in the hands of some of the best car detailers in the country. What makes 22PLE different is not only does it last for a legitimate 1-2 years, but it actually offers incredible shine as well. Expect deep, rich reflections after applying this product. And, your paint will literally be smooth like glass. Why, because it’s made from glass! It’s important to note though, it won’t shatter like glass, so don’t worry about that (I’ve already been asked this question several times, so it’s important that I mention it).

---

so basically, it's a liquid glass coat that you put on your car to protect it for a maximum of 2 years. it protects your car from dirt and minor scratches, and makes it really shiny. the claim is it's shinier than using carnauba wax.

22PLE VX1 Signature Glass Coating Paint Protection Packages | Lasts Longer Than Waxes & Sealants

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure how it comes off. I still have to try it. I was gonna apply it tonight but I felt light headed with the strong alcohol scent that I was using (50/50 isopropyl alcohol and water) to take the wax off the car. I'm gonna coat it in the morning. I'll post pictures once I'm done.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I just finished applying the coat. It's easier than I expected. It's like applying a sealant. Only thing is... It's really shiny. And no finger prints like with wax. I'm still waiting for it to cure. Initial curing is like 3 hours but it fully hardens in 5 days.

i'll take some pics tomorrow, couldn't take the car out 'cause it's still curing. but i've never seen a shine like this. i think i'm a believer.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pictures as promised. this is the CT treated with glass coat. the gloss is really intense. it's better than any carnauba wax i've tried. also the best part is dusts don't stick on the surface unlike with wax treated cars.

i'm really pleased with the result.

IMG_0004.jpg IMG_0015.jpg IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0011.jpg IMG_0010.jpg IMG_0009.jpg IMG_0008.jpg IMG_0007.jpg IMG_0005.jpg IMG_0017.jpg

·
Registered
71 Posts
You can remove your old wax by washing the car with Dawn dishwashing soap. However I just read the instructions and they call for the alcohol mix you used to prepare the surface, along with using a polish product. I think $135 is a little expensive to spend until there is more of a track record to confirm the durability claims. If true the benefit of not having to apply very often would be nice.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Looks great.
I'd be curious if you put multiple layers on the front hood if it could protect against stone chips?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
so i drove the car today to work. parked the car under a tree and across the street where new building construction is on going. on my way to my car after work, i saw the car/hood full of dusts and pollens and stuff from the tree. i was kinda anxious and disappointed, like oh geez, i have to wash off the dirt again... so i drove it to a store to buy something. and i was surprised when i saw the hood. it's like i've never used the car for a day. it's totally clean. no dust, no pollen, no nothing. like all the particles were blown away by the wind.

the claim is true that everything will just glide off the surface of the car. so far, i'm impressed. but i still have to see how far this coat will hold.

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
pictures as promised. this is the CT treated with glass coat. the gloss is really intense. it's better than any carnauba wax i've tried. also the best part is dusts don't stick on the surface unlike with wax treated cars.

i'm really pleased with the result.

Holy crap!! thats some seriously shiny car!!

do keep us updated on how long it will last. maybe a weekly or a bi-weekly update.

oh so shiny!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I'm very impressed. Can you tell us more about the application process?
well first of all, what i did is to wash the car. i used my regular car wash soap. and then i lightly clayed the surface to make sure i'm not sealing other contaminants when i apply the coat. after claying the surface, i cleaned the car with isopropyl alcohol and water solution (50/50). this process made me light headed 'cause the scent was so strong. i was doing it in closed garage. i used a spray bottle for the alcohol-water solution and a microfiber towel to clean the surface.

by the way, i also covered the areas like headlights, windshield edges, windows, rubbers along the edges of the doors, and anything plastic so i wouldn't apply the coat on those areas accidentally. i used the 3M blue paint tape. i only applied the coat to the metal surface.

ok. so after the cleaning process, you're ready to apply the glass coat. if you're garage is not well lit, you might need a work light or at least a headlamp you put on your head 'cause you will have a hard time seeing the area where you applied the coat, and the areas you've missed. you also apply this section by section, like let's say i applied the coat on the first half of the hood, wipe it off, then the other half.

when you applied it on a section, use your phone's timer and set it to 5 minutes. when it sets off, wipe off the residue with a microfiber towel. inspect the area. and use another microfiber towel to wipe off remaining residue.

make sure the surface is clean 'cause any towel marks will stay permanent (at least for the next 2 years). i have some towel marks on some sections of my car. but this is barely noticeable unless you are like 3 to 6 inches close to the car.

when you're done coating the rest of the car, just leave it inside. don't even touch it for at least in the next 6 to 10 hours. but right away, you will notice the result. i left mine untouched for more than 24 hours. 26 hours to be exact. you can safely wash the car or drive it in the rain after a day of curing, as the 22PLE told me. but keep in mind the coat will take 5 days to fully harden. so be careful if you plan to wash the car.

also just a heads up, the coat will not hide swirl marks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
here's how i taped the edges of the windows and headlights, chrome, etc to protect from accidentally coating it.

IMG_6507.jpg IMG_9247.jpg

·
Registered
77 Posts
Looks very similiar to Opti-Coat 2.0
Edit: based off the process, its basically the same as opti-coat but opti-coat is cheaper and is also a pretty popular product on Autogeek

1 - 20 of 25 Posts