Lexus CT200h Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
nice thread... I love the result of doing the retrofit!! does anyone know somebody in central florida that would install it for me since I'm not good at all with electronic!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm a little frustrated with my Morimoto HID kit right now. Everything worked fine for a week or two, and now the passenger side won't turn on. I've tested all of the components from the passenger side on the working driver side and all of the pieces of the kit are functional.... Just not when attached to the passenger side. Any thoughts?

Like I said, everything worked fine for a while, and then abruptly stopped. Could this be a fuse issue?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wonder if it is a fuse as I have the same issue. Passenger side doesn't work when plugged in directly. I never tried to fix as I upgraded to the HIDs and use a relay which gets it's auto signal from the drivers side plug.

I am curious about his though.

The easy fix is to use the relay and you only need the divers plug to get the signal from and it will work perfectly I'm auto mode with no flickering even is cold temps.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I wonder if it is a fuse as I have the same issue. Passenger side doesn't work when plugged in directly. I never tried to fix as I upgraded to the HIDs and use a relay which gets it's auto signal from the drivers side plug.

I am curious about his though.

The easy fix is to use the relay and you only need the divers plug to get the signal from and it will work perfectly I'm auto mode with no flickering even is cold temps.

I don't have the relay. I have the can bus setup

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm a little frustrated with my Morimoto HID kit right now. Everything worked fine for a week or two, and now the passenger side won't turn on. I've tested all of the components from the passenger side on the working driver side and all of the pieces of the kit are functional.... Just not when attached to the passenger side. Any thoughts?

Like I said, everything worked fine for a while, and then abruptly stopped. Could this be a fuse issue?

If you haven't done so already...I suggest swapping bulbs. Put the driver's side bulb into the passenger side and vice versa. These bulbs are very sensitive to human finger/hand contact and will burn out in just a couple weeks if by chance they came into contact with some human DNA !

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you haven't done so already...I suggest swapping bulbs. Put the driver's side bulb into the passenger side and vice versa. These bulbs are very sensitive to human finger/hand contact and will burn out in just a couple weeks if by chance they came into contact with some human DNA !
I tried that.... No dice. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try anything.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm still curious too as I had and still have the same issue.

Does anyone know if it's a fuse issue? I know for sure it's not a bulb issue on mine.

·
Registered
163 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
based on wiring the low beam signal comes from an Integration Relay that has a 40 amp fuse. both the drivers and passengers low beams come from this relay so if the fuse if blown you would have no low beams at all on either side.

so if you have verified that every part of the HID kit on the passenger side is indeed working then you will need to test the low beam wire in the OEM harness to see if there is voltage there.
I would suspect that you may have damaged the relay output of the Integration Relay of the vehicle if there is no voltage present in the harness.

Many HID kits say they do not require a relay and they are 100% plug-n-play. I have never put in a HID kit without a relay regardless of what they say. Why take the chance of damaging something when a few extra minutes and a couple of bucks could prevent it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Have you tried calling the Retrofit Source for advice ? If not, ask for Andrew and mention this forum...he knows that I recommended his shop here. He's very knowledgeable/helpful: Contact The Retrofit Source Inc
I'm almost at that point. I'm gonna do a little more fiddling before I break down and call. I want to play with a voltage meter and try to decipher it on my own. I'm going to try wiping everything down with alcohol and see if that makes a difference. Thanks everyone for the advice. You've all given me a lot to think about.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ok, so after another hour of fiddling, I broke down and called TRS. I described my problem and told Zach everything I've done, and he said he was pretty baffled, too. I told him how I had wiped down everything and swapped all parts from one side to another, and tested numerous combinations. I also re-installed the original bulbs to make sure that power was still coming from the car, which it is.

Zach said that they have had other customers calling with similar stories recently, and that they think it has something to do with the colder temperatures and the new ballasts that are made by Morimoto. He said that they have been storing some of the ballasts in their freezer and then testing them to see if they can get to the root of the problem. He assured me that they are working to get a solution and that when they figure out what will fix my problem they will contact me and send me what every it is that I'll need.

I hope they can figure it out. I felt bad, because I don't want to send it all back, but right now it's pretty useless to me and is sitting back in it's box in my basement.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Something isn't adding up here...
You tested the "bad" ballast and HID light on the drivers side and they worked. Now you have put the OEM bulb back in and that works. I take it you put the drvers side OEM bulb back in also? Does the passenger side bulb look dimmer then the drivers side? Now they are saying that cold weather may be to blame? So why does it work on the drivers side then? Have you tried putting the "good" drivers side ballast and HID light on the passenger side to see what happens?

So here is my $.02:
It is possible that the Integration Relay output for the passenger side may have an issue where it is not supplying enough current to keep the HID ballast happy (or the ballast is asking for too much current at start up). That would make sense seeing how the ballast works on the drivers side but not the passenger. A simple test would be to add a relay to the passenger side harness (cutting and splicing will be needed) and see if that solves it. The Integration Relay then would only have to trip a relay instead of a ballast. Many ballasts require a good amount of current during start up but then lower the amount when the lights are warmed up. (I don't care how many manufactures claim relays are not needed; it's a simple device that can save a lot of headaches later).

·
Registered
163 Posts
Something isn't adding up here...
You tested the "bad" ballast and HID light on the drivers side and they worked. Now you have put the OEM bulb back in and that works. I take it you put the drvers side OEM bulb back in also? Does the passenger side bulb look dimmer then the drivers side? Now they are saying that cold weather may be to blame? So why does it work on the drivers side then? Have you tried putting the "good" drivers side ballast and HID light on the passenger side to see what happens?

So here is my $.02:
It is possible that the Integration Relay output for the passenger side may have an issue where it is not supplying enough current to keep the HID ballast happy (or the ballast is asking for too much current at start up). That would make sense seeing how the ballast works on the drivers side but not the passenger. A simple test would be to add a relay to the passenger side harness (cutting and splicing will be needed) and see if that solves it. The Integration Relay then would only have to trip a relay instead of a ballast. Many ballasts require a good amount of current during start up but then lower the amount when the lights are warmed up. (I don't care how many manufactures claim relays are not needed; it's a simple device that can save a lot of headaches later).
They sent me a replacement ballast, the bad one was discarded... There is still an issue. TRS says that they don't recommend the relay for our vehicle. Like I said, they have had a few other calls with the same issue, and I am going to just have to trust that for now.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Did they say why they recommend against using the relay?

Everyone I talked to recommends the relay and it fixed my issue. I used the Xenon Supply kit with mini digital ballasts - but I think it is virtually the same as the TRS kit.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Did they say why they recommend against using the relay?

Everyone I talked to recommends the relay and it fixed my issue. I used the Xenon Supply kit with mini digital ballasts - but I think it is virtually the same as the TRS kit.

Right now I'm kind of wondering the same thing.

How do you connect it to the car? I might just order one and try it in the meantime.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I found a diagram here, but I used the fuse box under the hood and it was very easy and eased my concerns as I'm in Chicago and was worried about the HIDs working in sub zero temps (I drive to work).

Here is the thread: http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/lexus-ct200h-engine-technical-discussion/118776-12v-terminal-fuse-box-2.html

T
he red animation (looks like a small mushroom) - lift that cover off and attach the relay to that 12v connection there and the HIDs will fire perfectly.

You only need to connect the driver side light connection to the relay and the auto lights will work perfectly.

Relay I used: XS Blog - HID Wiring Harness Explained

21 - 40 of 45 Posts