Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is interested in installing/replacing their HID's, I highly recommend; wwwtheretrofitsource.com

I've tried many other on-line shops, but IMO...they have better quality and excellent customer service. Also, beware...your CT has a somewhat unique HID socket and will require a "XB35" H11 bulb to prevent ground wire shadow. Ask for Andrew...

·
Registered
14 Posts
so if the shadow doesnt bother me, i don't have to get the 11b right? i saw pictures i really don't think it's that noticeable. (the shadow)

also, in terms of harness, i am suppose to get the standalone can bus one instead of the heavy duty relay?

would someone mind explaining that piece to me please? sorry i'm a total newbie to this lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey kl, the relay harness supplies power directly from the battery, which is supposed to ensure you get a constant power supply and therefore avoid any flickering. I had a Prius before and remember that the 12V is in the rear of the car. I'm actually not quite sure where it is located in the CT. The Can-Bus harness' main purpose is to avoid any headlight out warnings from the car's sensor. It fakes it out creating a resistance that mimics the OEM bulb. (at least that's what I understand). I have read that our CT does not have a problem with it anyway. But what the Can-Bus allows you to do is just plug directly into the OEM bulb connector for the power, then that plugs into the ballast, then bulbs plug into the ballast connectors. it's plug n play basically. I think most would opt for that option. On the retrofitsource.com website they explain quite a bit about each.
You can select which one you want when you order the kit.

Actually the shadow is actually noticeable, and it bothered me while driving. The XB35 H11b bulbs are not that much more, plus the bulb is higher quality like the phillips bulbs. It's up to you, it's 20 bucks more, so don't do what I did and have to order them afterwards. Which reminds me, I need to ebay my used for one week morimoto h11 5000k bulbs.

Here's what your cart should look like. $170 (find a coupon code for free shipping)
H11: Morimoto Elite HID System$150.00
— Ballasts: Morimoto 3Five (35w)
— Bulb Spec: XB35 (H11B)+$20.00
— Kelvin: 5000K
— Wire Harness: H11
— Wire Harness Type: Standalone Can-Bus (see description)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just adding to this, there is a 12v connection under the hood so you can hook the relay up there without needing to run anything to the back of the car. Very, very easy to do.

There is a thread here with a picture of it - works perfectly for me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'll find the info and post or take a picture myself. Auto on and off works great too. I didn't use the morimotos though - I bought the kit from xenonsupply.com - no shadows either.

·
Registered
80 Posts
http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/lexus-ct200h-engine-technical-discussion/118776-12v-terminal-fuse-box.html

Check out the second picture - pull that black piece off (with the red stencil on it) of the lower left hand side of the fuse box and under it is a bolt to attach the relay to. Once you find that, the rest is very, very easy. I did have to cut a notch in the fuse box to I could put the top back on. But I cannot see any wires now and the ballasts are mounted securely too.

And for more clarity, the relay gets the signal from the driver side light plug. That is where the auto on signal comes from - the HIDS look great too - HUGE improvement from the stock halogens.

·
Registered
14 Posts
thank you all for the help!

now does all that also apply to the fog lights?

i want to get the 30k for my fogs and go for the yellow look!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Check these out for the fogs - I was going to try them out. Read about them on club Lexus - Piaa Plasma Ion Yellow 2500K Halogen Bulb

You can find them on Amazon, eBay and many other car shops online or local.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Check these out for the fogs - I was going to try them out. Read about them on club Lexus - Piaa Plasma Ion Yellow 2500K Halogen Bulb

You can find them on Amazon, eBay and many other car shops online or local.

thanks!

found one for 62 plus 5 bucks shipping on ebay.

so to clarify, the fogs don't need the whole ballast and relay harness like the headlights?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I second that Viper1, retrofitsource.com is solid and the elite morimoto kit with can-bus adapters make it easy to do. I of course ordered it before the XB35 H11 bulbs were available I think. I swapped them out. check my blog entry here

http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/blogs/cdog/66-my-hid-installation-morimoto-elite-3five-ballasts-paired-xb35-h11b-5000k-bulbs.html

cdog...just a FYI. I tried opening your blog, but was unable to (it might just be me... not the system), but I notified the site administrator anyway.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so if the shadow doesnt bother me, i don't have to get the 11b right? i saw pictures i really don't think it's that noticeable. (the shadow)

also, in terms of harness, i am suppose to get the standalone can bus one instead of the heavy duty relay?

would someone mind explaining that piece to me please? sorry i'm a total newbie to this lol

Aaaahhhh...it must be my OCD !!!! The HID ground shadow almost put me back into therapy !

·
Registered
14 Posts
what do you guys think of this? having a tough time deciding between the morimoto and this

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Xtreme-Digital-HID-Kits-p/xt-hid.htm

it's about 40 bucks cheaper for me to get the xtreme kit. the xtreme kit from kbcarstuff comes with a relay harness but theres no option to change that to a stand alone can-bus like the morimoto kit from TRS.

the xtreme kit also has 2 years less warranty than the morimoto.

·
Registered
14 Posts
alright

i just made a decision and went ahead with the xtreme kit from kbcarstuff.

very glad i gave steve a call. very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about HIDs.

will post a review when i have the HIDs installed!

·
Registered
163 Posts
If anyone is interested in installing/replacing their HID's, I highly recommend; wwwtheretrofitsource.com

I've tried many other on-line shops, but IMO...they have better quality and excellent customer service. Also, beware...your CT has a somewhat unique HID socket and will require a "XB35" H11 bulb to prevent ground wire shadow. Ask for Andrew...
I am totally with you. I got around to installing my Morimoto kit today, and for anyone that's not a believer, I'm adding a picture below. The bulb on the passenger side is stock and the one on the right is the XB35 H11 kit from TRS. It wasn't cheap, but it was totally worth it now that I can see the finished results.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts