Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, I'm popping out another question here..
When I was looking at how many liters of gasoline that I am using per 100km, it indicates 4.7L/100KM.

I filled it up not long ago and I clear the KM meter every time when I fill up the gas so I know how much gas I was actually using.

Now I only have half tank left and have a mileage of ~270KM.

If I am doing the math right, if my CT has 45L gas tank, for the full tank, I should be able to run around ~950KM???(= 45L tank / 4.7L usage *100KM )??

I'm now only have half tank left and have a mileage of 270KM, and the meter indicates that for this tank I'm doing 4.7L/100km; this doesn't sound right, does it??

Please tell me if my calculation is wrong..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gas Mileage Again

My issue is different. I have the iphone App Road Trip which does all the calculations for full tank. I always fill up . The issue is that my tank average is always showing to be 2 miles per gallon more than the actual average consistently. so if the car shows 45 miles per gallon it calucates out to 43 miles . Is this a software glitch. anyone with similar problems.

·
Registered
267 Posts
When I was looking at how many liters of gasoline that I am using per 100km, it indicates 4.7L/100KM.

I filled it up not long ago and I clear the KM meter every time when I fill up the gas so I know how much gas I was actually using.

If I am doing the math right, if my CT has 45L gas tank, for the full tank, I should be able to run around ~950KM???(= 45L tank / 4.7L usage *100KM )??

I'm now only have half tank left and have a mileage of 270KM, and the meter indicates that for this tank I'm doing 4.7L/100km; this doesn't sound right, does it??

This thread is similar to what was discussed before (in US miles). I think the conclusion was that the Cruising Range will reach 0 miles when there is actually about 3 gallons still left in the tank. Myself and may others have driven to near or past the stated Cruising Range and empty light, and filled a full tank to only 8.9 gallons or so.
So, in short, your math is correct, but the car is lying to you.:p

·
Registered
180 Posts
The car is NOT lying! If you read the manual, it states that you should never have less than 3 gallons in the tank to assure that the hybrid system has enough fuel available to operate properly. The system isn't designed to operate electric only (NO fuel available). It's a nice touch that the fuel gauge/cruising range take this requirement into account.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The car is NOT lying! If you read the manual, it states that you should never have less than 3 gallons in the tank to assure that the hybrid system has enough fuel available to operate properly. The system isn't designed to operate electric only (NO fuel available). It's a nice touch that the fuel gauge/cruising range take this requirement into account.
That depends how you look at it. It says your tank is "Empty" and you can't cruise anymore miles but, ...you're not empty and you can cruise for a bit longer!
Just kidding. :DTake it easy, man...it was just a little sarcasm/joke when I mentioned that. That 2-3 gallon minimum applies to all cars to prevent possible damage to the engine.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Just kidding. :DTake it easy, man...it was just a little sarcasm/joke when I mentioned that. That 2-3 gallon minimum applies to all cars to prevent possible damage to the engine.
Are you sure about that? I had a Volvo 740 once that hit zero on the tank then suddenly died due to lack of fuel.

·
Registered
180 Posts
That depends how you look at it. It says your tank is "Empty" and you can't cruise anymore miles but, ...you're not empty and you can cruise for a bit longer!
Sorry, I didn't pick up on the sarcastic tone. I too realize that there is some head room if you need it. I was just surprised that the car is set up to take these fuel needs into account. The gas light comes on quite late, which peaked my interest initially. Every other car I've owned has much less fuel left (1 to 1.5 gallons) when the gauge reads "E", most of them Toyota's, so I considered it unusual! I apologize again, I didn't want to come off as a "get off my lawn" kinda guy. Too late!, I guess. There are fuel cut offs built into EFI cars to protect from fouling the injectors, but it does seem to me that the stakes of running out of gas are higher with hybrids.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sorry, I didn't pick up on the sarcastic tone. I too realize that there is some head room if you need it. I was just surprised that car is set up to take these fuel needs into account. The gas light comes on quite late, which peaked my interest initially. Every other car I've owned has much less fuel left (1 to 1.5 gallons) when the gauge reads "E", most of them Toyota's, so I considered it unusual! I apologize again, I didn't want to come off as a "get off my lawn" kinda guy. Too late!, I guess. There are fuel cut offs built into EFI cars to protect from fouling the injectors, but it does seem to me that the stakes of running out of gas are higher with hybrids.
Hey. That's quite alright. No problem at all. I guess the Smilie emoticons didn't have much effect? :D
Thanks for pointing it out and making that clear, though. I didn't know it was actually written in the manual. On that other thread I mentioned people were talking about it, documenting, experimenting, testing...and all this time it was in the manual. :eek:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey. That's quite alright. No problem at all. I guess the Smilie emoticons didn't have much effect? :D
Thanks for pointing it out and making that clear, though. I didn't know it was actually written in the manual. On that other thread I mentioned people were talking about it, documenting, experimenting, testing...and all this time it was in the manual. :eek:
The manual just mentions leaving 3 gallons. My experiment was to see how much gas it took to fill up once all indicators reached "E"/"0". Since it was approximately 3 gallons less than tank capacity, I assumed that the engineers did it on purpose. Also, I like your signature, so I copied and "adjusted" it to my own info and colors. I hope that you don't mind.:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm still waiting for my CT so would greatly appreciate it if you lucky owners can post what is the driving range per tank of your CT.

Thanks.
DC-IT

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm still waiting for my CT so would greatly appreciate it if you lucky owners can post what is the driving range per tank of your CT.

Thanks.
DC-IT
There are a few threads on this forum discussing gas mileage, and some posts include mentions of driving range. Anyway, I usually get about 430 miles (692 kilometers?) before I head to the gas station. That's about when the empty light comes on. On average, I never had to fill any more than 8.9 gallons (33.69 liters?) from 'empty' to full.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There are a few threads on this forum discussing gas mileage, and some posts include mentions of driving range. Anyway, I usually get about 430 miles (692 kilometers?) before I head to the gas station. That's about when the empty light comes on. On average, I never had to fill any more than 8.9 gallons (33.69 liters?) from 'empty' to full.
Thanks for the reply.
I'm new to the forum and have not had time to go through the various posts.
That's really good FE.

·
Registered
13 Posts
On my first tank with my CT I got about 580kms on it before the fuel light came on. I thought that was low, but when I filled up it only took 32L so the fuel consumption was pretty accurate!

·
Registered
232 Posts

the other thing that you are missing is that when your needle reaches near empty. there is actually a "reserved" amount petrol.

so, simply put:

your fuel should be:

Full to empty (meter reading): 35liters

Empty (on meter) to actual empty (in tank):10 liters

so half tank (on meter), may mean that you still have 27 liters of petrol (35/2 + 10 reserved)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Don't really trust your "kilometres left" gauge. it's not very accurate at all. For example, mine showed 30 one day (mine is in miles but no difference), I did about 15 miles driving around roads I have known for 25 years and it suddenly showed zero miles left in the tank. On another occasion, on a motorway, it dropped from 20 miles left to 10 miles in the space of 100 yds (m).

These days I always fill up on 1/4 tank of thereabouts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts