Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my ct last week and filled at 1/4 left of gas...which was sat, its tuesday and im already at half a tank?? Heard there was a break in period? what is that?

·
Registered
414 Posts
The farther you drive, the more the tank goes down......What does your average fuel economy show?

·
Registered
414 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
avg 44 mpg
??the CT advertises 43mpg.

The tank is very small. Too bad about that because it would be nice to avoid the pump.

Do a search on the forum. There are several interesting threads and opinions on the best mode to drive in. Hyper milers get more, sports car lovers get less. Some claim better mileage in Eco, some in sport.

The fuel mix in your area and terrain also plays into it. But you are right on target with your mpg.

Wonder how I'll drive when I get my CT? I think I'll just enjoy it and get whatever mpg I get. But who knows, when I see the lights on the dash maybe I'll consider it a challenge.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Wonder how I'll drive when I get my CT? I think I'll just enjoy it and get whatever mpg I get. But who knows, when I see the lights on the dash maybe I'll consider it a challenge.
That's one advantage of the flexibility we get with the hybrid system ...

I think in the 3 weeks of having my CT, I've settled down a bit with town driving. I'm seeing how much I can get the car to go into EV mode and I'm looking to drive smoother to get the best out of the hybrid system in terms of economy.

Currently seeing mpg's of 46 (ImpGal) vs the 28 (if that) that my Focus used to give in town and that mpg will go up a lot when I get the chance to do an extended open road drive. Had a taster last night when I not-so-accidentally missed my junction on the motorway to take a longer way back home. :cool:

But ... That "want more mpg" fades very quickly when I see a series of fun looking corners ahead. Cue Sport Mode :D

Driving modes :
Eco - I use this in stop/start traffic where the deadened throttle response makes things more chilled out
Normal - In use most of the time
Sport - for corners and other fun :) Steering is heavier in Sport, so I think it would get wearing after not very much time. Sport would also be too choppy in stop/start traffic.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think Lexus purposely design a smaller gas tank so that we (the driver) are force to drive smarter and to squeeze as much distance out of every drop of gas.

If you drive the CT or any hybrid like a normal car you're not going to get high mpg and you'll be filling the gas tank more often.

CT is my first hybrid and I'm learning fast how to do hypermile and other gas saving driving technique to take advantage of the hybrid feature. I use ECO mode mostly for city driving and NORMAL mode for occasional freeway driving and rarely use SPORTS mode.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Break-in and gas gauge

Just bought my ct last week and filled at 1/4 left of gas...which was sat, its tuesday and im already at half a tank?? Heard there was a break in period? what is that?
Page 158:

Breaking in your new Lexus To extend the life of the vehicle, observing the following precautions is recommended:

For the first 200 miles (300 km): Avoid sudden stops.

For the first 1000 miles (1600 km): • Do not drive at extremely high speeds. • Avoid sudden acceleration. • Do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods.

Concerning gas tank, it is only 11.9 gallons and each 1/4 of a tank is about 2 gallons so when the gauge shows empty you still have almost 3 gallon reserve. It bothers you at first but you get used to it and remember you can easily go 400 miles on a tanks and/or when it shows empty you can still easily with no worry go another 100 miles. Big brother Lexus didn't want you to run your tank dry :rolleyes:

·
Registered
414 Posts
avg 44 mpg
Just to give you an idea - I filled up today and did only city driving and I am getting 4.5 l/100km = 52.27 mpg US = 62.77 mpg CDN.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It seems most manufacturers size the gas tanks to achieve about 400+ miles per full tank. Where the CT gets such high miles per gallon, they could afford to keep the tank small. Although most cars of this size have similarly sized tanks. My Civic had a 13 gal tank.

·
Registered
208 Posts
It seems most manufacturers size the gas tanks to achieve about 400+ miles per full tank. Where the CT gets such high miles per gallon, they could afford to keep the tank small. Although most cars of this size have similarly sized tanks. My Civic had a 13 gal tank.
The CT has the same capacity as the Prius. It's probably the same exact tank.

·
Registered
169 Posts
There's a good reason to have a small tank in a vehicle that's meant to be fuel efficient: weight. Not having to carry around too much fuel saves fuel, too.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
There's a good reason to have a small tank in a vehicle that's meant to be fuel efficient: weight. Not having to carry around too much fuel saves fuel, too.
Yeah my wife told me to go on a diet so I could get better mileage :D

Gas only weighs 6.1 lbs to a gallon , so to cut the tank from say 20 gallons to 11.9 saves a phenomenal 49.41 lbs. woopie. :rolleyes: So maybe it was a space issue instead because of the space required by the traction battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've spoken with an RAC engineer here in the UK about running a CT out of petrol and he says it's a nightmare if it happens. Yes, there must be at least two imperial, nearly three US, gallons when the car says zero. So far I have dared to use nearly 50 miles beyond zero once but usually just take it up to pass the 400 mile mark before refuelling. I've driven 4400 miles since I got the car and am at 53.9 mpg (imperial) since new.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've had this issue for the last 2 tanks now. I fill up drive approx 40 miles and fuel gauge will show 3/4 tank left.I used to get to 100 to 135 before it showed that.

Reactions: K2Lev

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've had this issue for the last 2 tanks now. I fill up drive approx 40 miles and fuel gauge will show 3/4 tank left.I used to get to 100 to 135 before it showed that.
But does the fuel light still come on at about 400 miles or does it come on earlier now?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well,just filled up and the light functions normally,buy the needle drops overly quick

·
Registered
4 Posts
I filled up and hit the trip odometer reset. With a half tank left it's went 144 miles. Doing the rough math it's getting only about 26 MPG or so. The computer shows 36.8 MPG. It just turned over 500 miles on the odometer. I'm hoping it gets better quickly. I've got a trip to Atlanta next weekend.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts