Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Lexus CT200H - 111K
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I completed a retrofit for one of my headlights on the driver side with the G5-R projector.
I was initially going to go the route of the RX350 OEM Projector but in tests I saw on youtube and in forums the G5-R blew the RX350 projector away. Additionally the G5-R was cheaper AND with better light output.

Parts used:
1. Bi-Xenon G5-R HID Projectors from LightingTrendz $105.00
2. RX350 to G5-R brackets from Lightwerkz $50.00
3. Morimoto XB 5500K from Xenon Depot or The Retrofit source $60.00
4. Re-used my ballasts which are Hylux A088 which I bought for $120 from Diode Dynamics couple years ago.
5. AMP to D2S adapters from Xenon Depot or The Retrofit Source $22.00
6. JB Weld and JB Kwik
7. 83MM Dust Cap Cover from Amazon $10.00 (Needed to cover the back of the G5-R which is slightly shorter than the OEM Halogen Projector)

I decided to do one projector at a time so I could compare between the two and I can tell you that the G5-R completely blows away the OEM CT200h projector with HID Bulb. So the passenger side in the below picture is the OEM projector with Morimoto XB 4300K bulb and Hylux A088 35w Ballast. On the left side is the retrofitted G5-R D2S projector but this time with the 5500K Morimoto XB and same Hylux A088 35w ballast.

You can see above that the hotspot is far more intense on the G5-R. The G5-R is also much wider in breadth and it has a clean cutoff (clear lens).

here is a comparison shot with both headlights on at the same time.
G5-R on the left and OEM Halogen projector on the right.
The intensity of the G5-R blows the stock projector away when both are on at the same time.

This is another picture a little further away of both headlights on at the same time for comparison.

here is a different shot with the G5-R projector just by itself. The light is wide, crisp cutoff, and the hotspot is strong.
This area is pretty dark so you can't really see the strength of the G5-R hotspot and the wall is dark brown but you can get sense of the difference between the G5-R and the OEM projector in the subsequent picture.

This is the OEM projector by itself it looks brighter than it actually is because the area is very dark. But you can clearly see it is much dimmer than the G5-R. Also this picture you can see that there is little to no hotspot.

Both headlights on at same time

Overall there is a huge jump in light output from putting in the HID inside the stock projector. I did blank out my squirrel spotters on the OEM projectors when I initially converted them to HID. There is an even bigger jump in light output going from the OEM projector to the G5-R.

I will be retrofitting the passenger side headlight with the G5-R next week.

Attachments

Reactions: TobiasSing

·
Super Moderator
2016 Blue Lexus CT200h F-Sport
168 Posts
I don't know how I missed this post, but that looks great! I used the G5-R on my previous car and loved them. Plus, with this modification, you also get the bixenon! You didn't mention it in your parts, but I hope you got some sort of splitter to run both bulbs from the highbeam. You might have finished up both sides by now, feel free to show pics when it's done. Which color do you like more, the 4300k or the 5500k? Which color matches the LED strip better?

·
Registered
2012 Lexus CT200H - 111K
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know how I missed this post, but that looks great! I used the G5-R on my previous car and loved them. Plus, with this modification, you also get the bixenon! You didn't mention it in your parts, but I hope you got some sort of splitter to run both bulbs from the highbeam. You might have finished up both sides by now, feel free to show pics when it's done. Which color do you like more, the 4300k or the 5500k? Which color matches the LED strip better?
Yes the light output is fantastic. Truly world class. Light output is finally on par with the retrofitted headlights I ran on my previous vehicle the MK5 Jetta.

For the high beam i spliced the solenoid wire from the projector directly into the high beam plug wire on the projector. Right now it is using both high beams, (stock and BiXenon), however I plan to put an LED into the high beam stock housing which matches the BiXenon color.

I’m for bulbs I am using D2S Morimoto XB 5500K 35w. The only better bulbs according to my reasearch are either of the OSRAM or PHILLIPS Bulbs they sell for around $140 and $199 respectively.

As for color preference, With the stock projector I think 4500K is better. With the reduced light out due to it being a halogen reflector it would be best to get as much lumen output as possible and 4500K is better in that regards. The G5R has a true design for Xenon HID so 5500K is plenty of bright. Ultimately, color wise I prefer 5500K/5000K, but I did thoroughly enjoy the 4500K Morimoto XB I ran for over 4 years on the car. It also rains a lot here in the Pacific Northwest so 4500K will be better in such instances. I think overall with the advancements in projectors going 5500K or 6500K is much better than years ago in terms of light output.

The DRL LEDs in the headlight are dead-on 4500K temperature. Initially when I bought the car newly over 5 years ago I did try 5000K or 6000K but I remember not liking that it didn’t match the DRL so I went with 4500K at the time, (among other reasons).

I still have not done the right Headlight yet, I did a bunch of other maintenance and upgrades this August, Included a 1.5 inch suspension lift kit, transaxle fluid flush, installation of a new oil filter housing, new spark plugs, and new brake pads, and bunch of other items. I do plan to be getting back to the headlights soon this month to wrap it up.

I’m also waiting for new headlight cover plastic from China. I found it on Aliexpress and it’s a replacement for the clear plastic lens that goes over the headlight. Once it arrives I will protect it with clear wrap and then install it on the headlight with new butyl rubber sealant . There’s a bit of oxidation on the current headlights and though I have polished the left one it’s still not as clear as I want it to be in terms of some yellowing.

·
Super Moderator
168 Posts
I've seen those new plastic head light lenses on Ebay. I'd be interested to know how they work for you, how well they match up and replace the original.

Also, I tried some Morimoto 2stroke 3.0 LED bulbs in the high beam slot, but ended up sticking with the halogen because it was better focused and brighter and a better color to combine with the bluer M-LED 2.0s I put in the low beam. Since the high bulb is 65 watts, the LED bulb just doesn't really do anything good. So I put them in the fogs and saved money on that.

What year is your CT? When I was trying to figure out the color of the LEDs, they were bluer than all the 5000k LEDs I had, but not as blue as the 6000k LEDs I had. They seem right at 5500k on my 2016.

Hopefully you can get the other one done soon!

·
Registered
2012 Lexus CT200H - 111K
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I had one of the non-OEM replacement headlamps on my CT and the DRL color was right around 5500k. (TYC brand), It was on the vehicle when I first bought it on the passenger side. Driver side was oem. Carmax told me the car had something hit it which cracked the headlight just itself. At the time I didn’t plan on retrofitting any projector in the near future or even at all so after carmax refused to replace the headlight assembly to OEM, I bought an oem unit myself and replaced it. I do remember preferring the brighter and crisper 5500K DRL on the passenger headlight, but at the time I had just moved on from owning two German cars previously and I remember not wanting anything to do with non-oem at the time. I recall just throwing away the non oem headlight

The price they are charging for new headlight lenses on Aliexpress is $132 + $37 shipping so $169 in total for the two lenses. However I’m debating ordering the replace brand headlights from Carparts.com and retrofitting the G5-R into those. That way I’d have the 5500K DRL and new plastic housing included. Then I could keep or sell the complete stock passenger side headlight to help recoup the money since only the driverside has been opened and retrofitted at this point. This option only makes sense right now because of how bad the lenses are on the current headlights. They are nearly 10 years old now. And have lots of pits and yellowing though I was able to polish out the haze for the most part but up close the one I polished cannot be compared in terms of clarity to a brand new headlight lense. There was still too much of a difference for me personally even after polishing.

How is the Mled 2.0 lighting performance in your vehicles low beam and how are you dealing with heat dissipation?

·
Super Moderator
168 Posts
I do not have enough experience with these head lights, but my educated guess is that the DRL color switched at some point from an earlier 4000k-ish color to a later/newer 5500k-ish color. Sounds like the aftermarket replacements opted for the newer color, which makes sense. All car head light LEDs have gone bluer over the years. I was really hoping for a match, but the M-LED 2.0 are still even bluer than the DRL. But, it's been fine, they are way more than bright enough, brighter (and bluer) than my previous setup with the G5-R and CBI bulbs. There is no need for heat dissipation though, the fan circulates the air inside the head light just fine and it's been working great. I was considering getting a new set of head lights and retrofitting them too, but my lights are in fine shape, and then covid meant I wasn't driving and could just have the lights off the car for a while. I'm not sure how much money you could recoupe though, since the head lights for this car are commonly easily available. But, if you have a bad lens, that would definitely be worth replacing. I'd probably just replace them both so they match. But since you already retrofitted one, maybe just do the new lens and be done with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts