Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gauge showed a little less then 1/4 tank,so I decided to fuel up. Pump shut off at under 8 gallons. Seem off since we only have a 12 gallon tank and I was way under 1/2 tank?

Anyone Else's gauge off

·
Registered
120 Posts
Gauge showed a little less then 1/4 tank,so I decided to fuel up. Pump shut off at under 8 gallons. Seem off since we only have a 12 gallon tank and I was way under 1/2 tank?

Anyone Else's gauge off
I think I read on here that several people have noticed the same thing.

Doing some research I discovered that hybrids need 3 gallons reserve to ensure they never run too low. I think that's why the fuel light comes on a little early.

·
Registered
131 Posts

Anyone Else's gauge off
Its 12gallon in total, when the gauge is at bottom and the yellow warning is lit, there is still lot left.
My cruising range said 0 and I drove for about 5km more, then I could fill it up with about 9.5gallon.
So its about a 3 gallon reserve when the yellow light come on.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts

Anyone Else's gauge off
As others have said on the analog gauge there is a significant reserve for an 11.9 gallon tank (~25%); in fact no matter what size tank a vehicle has the reserve is always around 3 gallons. This is much less noticable on an 18-20 gallon or larger tank.

If you are looking for a more accurrate estimate look at the CRUISING RANGE on the instrument cluster multi-formation display. It tells you how maximum distance that can be driven with the remaining gas.

Or for a SWAG using 40mpg times 12 =480 max miles less then miles driven on your trip odometer.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very interesting,thanks.

·
Registered
180 Posts
This has been discussed at length a while back. The manual states never to let the car run out of gas. It also says that you should always keep at least 3 gallons in reserve to make sure of this. ALL the fuel related gauges reflect this statement. When everything reads "E" or "0 mile left", there are about 3 gallons in the tank. So, it takes about 9 gallons to fill up! :)

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
If you are looking for a more accurrate estimate look at the CRUISING RANGE on the instrument cluster multi-formation display. It tells you how maximum distance that can be driven with the remaining gas.
I'm not sure that is correct. I thought the range remaining says 0 when the needle hits "E" and then you are going to start using the reserve?

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
The manual states never to let the car run out of gas. It also says that you should always keep at least 3 gallons in reserve to make sure of this.
That is genious of them!

ALL the fuel related gauges reflect this statement. When everything reads "E" or "0 mile left", there are about 3 gallons in the tank. So, it takes about 9 gallons to fill up! :)
I agree with that. Yes, there is another thread on here of people complaining about this design.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I'm not sure that is correct. I thought the range remaining says 0 when the needle hits "E" and then you are going to start using the reserve?
jimmyc13

That is straight from the Lexus manual and is true on the Prius.

They are two separate measurements and the "CRUISE RANGE" is much more accurate, IMHO than the analog gas gauge.

When I get my CT (now August 9 :) ) I will check it out and let you know for sure.

·
Registered
146 Posts
^The cruising range definitely reflects what your fuel gauge reads. It is at 0 when your fuel gauge reaches the Empty hash mark.

The CT not being able to go long range without filling up (because of this 3 gallon reserve) is my biggest complaints about the car.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Thanks Jedi, that's what I recalled too.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^The cruising range definitely reflects what your fuel gauge reads. It is at 0 when your fuel gauge reaches the Empty hash mark.

The CT not being able to go long range without filling up (because of this 3 gallon reserve) is my biggest complaints about the car.
Why is that a complaint? 3 gallons and a car rated at 40+ gallons,means you have plenty of time to search for a gas station.

3 gallons of reserve doesn't spoil the car for me.It will help protect from over heating ones fuel pump.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Why is that a complaint? 3 gallons and a car rated at 40+ gallons,means you have plenty of time to search for a gas station.

3 gallons of reserve doesn't spoil the car for me.It will help protect from over heating ones fuel pump.
It means I fill up this car just as often as I filled up my 20mpg Highlander before it. I know I'm getting better mileage, but it's psychologically bothersome. If I got 400+ miles to the tank I'd be much more pleased. To cool the fuel pump I believe all thats needed is 1 - 1.5 gallons, 3 gallons on reserve is a big upset for me. I'd like to be able to go more than a week without filling up..Currently its about every 4 days for me.

Theres been a lot of talk about it over at clublexus:
Gas Tank Size - Club Lexus Forums

If it was a $1500 upgrade to get 100 or so more miles out of my range no doubt about it I would buy such an upgrade.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I see your point, But obtaining 400+ miles per tank is easy on this car.

·
Registered
180 Posts

Yes, I'd say so too! I often travel from LA to San Jose. It's about a 350 mile trip and I get a bit nervous about trying to make it without filling up somewhere along the way! :(

I do have to add, however, that if this is my BIGGEST complaint, that I am obviously THRILLED with my CT! :D

·
Registered
130 Posts

Anyone Else's gauge off
Good timing for this thread. The exact same thing happend to me yesterday. My Cruise Range said that I had 67 miles left and my fuel gauge was at a little less than 1/4. I had it filled up and the pump stopped at 7.9. The attendant just pulled the nozzle without checking to see if it was actually full. I told him that the pump had just clicked off and that it should take a couple more gallons. He put my credit card back in the pump, started it again and it clicked off after about 2/10 of a gallon. I felt like an idiot.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
This is pretty funny - all the FUD being thrown around

As i said before the gauge isn't accurate; why are yhou putting so much credence in the gauge.

You guys mught want to go back and red the Club Lexus threads and Prius threads.

Do you even know how a gas gauge works ? it is not very accurate; it is a float connected to a potentiometer.

As one person said when the gauge gets to E you have 0 gallons left is pure FUD (Fear Uncertainty Doubt). Trying to scare peopel for know reason without really knowing the facts.

Here is the absolute best way to handle it.

Reset your trip odometer when you fill-up.

.... And yes the cut-off might not be the same each time and the yes the pumps might not be accurate.

But you know you have an 11.9 gallon gas tank and you know the EPA mpg 42. Multiply that together and you get a range of 499.8 miles.

So you drive until your odometer says 400 and you still have 99.8 left or a reserve of 99.8 miles (2.38 gallons)

What is the big deal ? Or if you are more daring you drive 450 miles. This would still leave you a reserve of 1.18 gallons.

Okay so you want to drive harder and only get 35 mpg. Then adjust
11.9 times 35 = 416.5 set you refill point at 350 miles on the trip odometer.

Now someone else says not to run your fuel too low because it is a coolant for the pump motor; another FUD If you run it dry and you pump runs unchecked possibly could over heat the motor.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I know the car can get 450-475 miles to the tank if you were to run it well past everything telling you its 'empty'. But that isn't something anyones willing to do, nor should we have to. As stated in the Club Lexus thread what if someone else drives the car after its below empty? What do you tell them?

All I ask is a way to recalibrate the gauge in some way so that I don't think its going to run out 3 gallons before it actually will. (And inconveniently fill my tank up that many more times throughout the life of the car).

·
Registered
51 Posts

Well it CAN go long range...you just have to accept the fact that your last 90-120 miles are going to be with a fuel light on and reading empty. Just because the car objectively hides the existence of the reserve does not change the reality that there is gas in the tank.

You just risk running out of gas since your fuel gauge is blind from there on out. If you set your trip meter at each fill up you can pretty reliably estimate your true range even after the tank hits "empty" if you really want to max your miles on a tank.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I feel like blocking these threads pertaining to the fuel gauge topic. I'm a pretty picky person, but in my opinion, this topic is exhausted and I feel that people are being very picky about this and should just appreciate the car for what it is.

Sorry if this offended anyone, that wasn't the intent. This car still let's me drive one extra day during the work week, when compared to my last car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.