Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Went to the car wash yesterday, car came out pretty good. Decided to put first coat of wax on and noticed the driver side front tow hook cover was gone.
Must've come loose from the initial front end spray at the car wash. Backtracked looking but no luck. Called Lexus and was told that the part is $15 :cool:...whew I thought.
Then parts guy told me that they come unpainted, and painting costs $25 :mad:. Does anybody know if any dealers have some prepainted on hand? I have obsidian with
caramel color, I think its sharp. However, behind the tow hook cover, there's some snow white plastic/foam :mad::mad:. Obsidian is obsidian right? Guy seemed to answer as if
this is somewhat common...either way, very annoying.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Did you check to see if they would replace it under warranty? I wouldn't think the panels should fall off after a car wash.

·
Registered
441 Posts
You sure it came off in the car wash? It could be one of those parts like a valve cap where everyone pinches one off someone else until someone buys one and stops the cycle before everyone in the entire world has stolen a valve cap to replace the missing one on their car. So in your case, perhaps someone else lost the cover and pinched yours, NOT that I mean to suggest you should watch out for an Obsidian CT and pinch theirs! LOL

Obsidian

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't ask if it would be covered under warranty. Of course the parts guy didn't offer up any suggestions of that nature, but I should ask the question. I did ask how I could "bolt" the other one on to not have this happen to it, but my sarcasm was lost on him. As for the the cover being pinched, I left the car wash, went directly across the road to the gas station, then home (about 2 mi. away). I suppose it could've become loose at some point and fell off during the ride but I never venture into "Kharma Kar parts". I have always heard bad things about the midnight auto five-finger discount! Fortunately Sewell has them in stock, and I can have my friend paint it for me. I think I may try to incorporate some kind of retention safety wire to keep it connected to the car though. Thanks fer the responses gents.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK marke5860, you stated the obvious that was not so obvious to me. I gave it a shot - asking the service manager if this could be replaced under warranty. He initially said no,
then decided to "force it through". My babbling that I have never lost one of these in the past might have done the trick. But hats off to you, the easiest solution is usually
the best solution (but I will go buy a lottery ticket all the same). Thanks again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That's good news. It never hurts to ask. I think that's the kind of service you expect from a premium brand like Lexus.

·
Registered
609 Posts
That's good news. It never hurts to ask. I think that's the kind of service you expect from a premium brand like Lexus.
Yeah the service manager is doing the right thing. The part is $15 + $25 painted = $40 MSRP. That means it is probably like less than $10 cost to the dealership. If it gets you to come back for one service visit, they will make the money back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts