Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used CT200H a year ago, with 46,000 on the odometer. During the test drive I noticed some front end vibration, told them "no sale". Two days later salesman calls, says they found tire was out of balance on front so come back and do another test drive. I did, and the vibration was gone it seemed. Bought the car and gradually noticed the vibration was still there, but pretty slight. i lived with it for 6 months, then finally worked up the gumption to try and resolve it again. So I took the car to a tire place I trust to have all 4 tires balanced.

Tire place found one wheel (cast aluminum, OE) was warped or bent. Oddly, they said they could still balance the wheel/tire and it would be ok. I went with that for a couple of months but as usual, noticed a bit of a front end vibration when driving the car for the first time each day. In response I bought a refurbished Lexus wheel and swapped it out with the one that was warped/bent. Finally it seemed the problem was gone and I have to say, it did seem better when I left the shop that day. Thing is, I had already driven it to the shop that same day.

As of today, at 51,000 miles, I'm still bothered by this. The problem seems to occur only when the tires are cold (not driven I mean, not only in winter). I leave the house, and at about 50-55 mph there is a very slight front end vibration (no, not brakes, not warped rotors; alignment is good). It then seems to go away for the rest of the day. It is so slight it often makes me wonder if I'm just overly sensitive, because I often think a less critical driver might not notice it.

Here is what I wonder about as causes:
1. Cheap tires? Poor quality? They appeared to be pretty new when I got the car. Maybe somebody put on crappy tires.
2. Water in the tire. Not sure why I'm even saying this or how that would happen. LOL. Seems I heard about something like this on Car Talk years ago.
3. Unreported front end damage...like the previous owner ran over a cement block on the freeway or something, then traded in the car. Perhaps damaged the front wheel bearing?
4. Some kind of energy gizmo on these cars that is engaged, causes some drag, and I'm just not used to how hybrids operate.

I figured that since this was a Lexus the ride would be glass smooth on fresh asphalt. But I swear this does happen, just can't explain why and therefore unsure what to think to do next. Any suggestions? Comments? Ideas? Should I go over to the Prius site and ask? All help welcome.

Thanks.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I can tell you that my CT, which is a 2014 with 218k miles on it (yes, you read that right), with proper tire and alignment maintenance, rides glass smooth on smooth roads like it did brand new, so your car should too. It does seem like there's a problem with your car.

My recommendation is to get several mechanics to test drive it and give you their feedback. Try repairpal.com and see if there are well-rated mechanics in your area that may have a lot of experience and hope for the best.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts