Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Lexus dealers offer as an option a film that covers the front bumper and hood to protect the paint from bugs and stone chips. This product isn't net to me as I know it's been around for awhile. Just wondering if it really works and do you see it or does it turn yellow after awhile? Also, if not by the dealer there are also numerous shops that install the stuff...years ago it would cost about $1,000+ to do the front end of a car...list is about $450 from Lexus and I have to think cheaper at a shop that specializes in it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The Lexus dealers offer as an option a film that covers the front bumper and hood to protect the paint from bugs and stone chips. This product isn't net to me as I know it's been around for awhile. Just wondering if it really works and do you see it or does it turn yellow after awhile? Also, if not by the dealer there are also numerous shops that install the stuff...years ago it would cost about $1,000+ to do the front end of a car...list is about $450 from Lexus and I have to think cheaper at a shop that specializes in it.
Try https://www.autotrimdesign.net/

Have had their headlight film fitted for 4 years to my IS (soon to be replaced with a CT) and its great, does not change colour. What I would say though is you need patience to fit it.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Do it, I don't care if at the store or somewhere else. Either way, well worth it !! I have it on ALL my cars !!

Just remember, if you decide to do it outside of a Lexus store, pick a shop that will provide you with a good warranty and has been around for a while. Also make sure they are using qaulity film. Most places use 3M as they are the leader in the market.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Ksix - Obviously this is an old thread, but there are dealer installed options available now. I think I paid $695 or so installed for the front fascia, hood, bumper and side mirrors and the warranty last as long as the OEM warranty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ksix - Obviously this is an old thread, but there are dealer installed options available now. I think I paid $695 or so installed for the front fascia, hood, bumper and side mirrors and the warranty last as long as the OEM warranty.
Yea. I didn't notice the date on the thread. I declined that option at the dealer. Not because I didn't want it but because I felt the dealer price was ridiculous and it hadn't yet been installed on the car. They gave me the " buy this film with these other options or nothing at all" guilt trip. I wasn't having it. especially not to have the price of the car raised another 2k. The one other CT they had at the time had the film on it but it wasn't complete. only hood and mirrors. It left about an hour before I took mine. Anyways, I have both 3m and venturshield film on my motorcycle and they both are great. A little yellowing but its on a white bike and hardly noticeable.
I am just having trouble finding a kit to cover the front bumper, hood, mirrors and side skirts.

I've been googling it for the past few hours frantically because I found a small knick on the rear bumper that wasn't there this morning. This area wouldn't have been covered anyway by factory kit.
My one saving grace is that I have a good friend that works for Dupont Registry here in Florida, and they (unofficially) have a guy that regularly does a lot of their customers high end vehicles.. tint etc.. and has extremely reasonable prices. I'm hoping that he may be able to or know someone who can recreate a full kit or install a 3m kit if I were to purchase it elsewhere. I haven't been able to talk with him because its late but tomorrow Ill know more. Worst case scenario, i'll have to run back to the dealer with my tail between my legs. I'm willing to pay for it because I know it will be worth it. I just have my price limit.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
My last car, I didn't get the clear bra because I was already at my limits for a car payment, but man, I really wish I had it. I had 100's of nicks/paint chips on my front bumper and hood after 7 years of ownership. Spending the $ was worth it IMO and the install on these things are NOT easy at all. I heard it took 2-3 hours to install them on the CT, and that's done by guys that do this stuff all the time! Mine is made by Autobahnd.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
My dealer here in SoCal wanted $1200 to install it. Went to my tint guy who offered the same exact kit for $600 installed, well worth it IMO.
Amazing, nice work finding that. More reasoning why they're sometimes called the "stealership"....

What was the product name?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Had mine done at a local shop. Paid $550 for hood,bumper,fender,mirror,door edge and door cups.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Amazing, nice work finding that. More reasoning why they're sometimes called the "stealership"....

What was the product name?
I don't know the exact name, my guy just said it was the new 3M clear bra. He had the same thing on his own car so I believe the product is good. It's my first clear bra, and its hard to resist not doing the entire car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Had mine done at a local shop. Paid $550 for hood,bumper,fender,mirror,door edge and door cups.
Damn. That is a good price. So far the cheaper I've been able to find is 725.
That's for hood, mirror , bumper and that part an the side of the hood. And it is supposed to be wrapped so there will be no edges.
Id like to get it for about 100$ less
Dude recommended Xpel and clearshield.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Lexus has the "Paint Protection Film" for $429.

What's the advantage of spending more money?
Is it:
a. "brand name" (i.e.Autobahnd Clear Bra, 3M, etc)?
b. Personal experience?
c. Something else ...... ?

I have the "Toyota" brand Paint protection film on my G3 prius now - and it's doing its job. I just don't know if there is a reason to spend more money if the protection is equal.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I think it's the brand name.

I will say I am so glad I got the film on my car, as I've only had it since June and I've already encountered trucks littering stones and debris on the highway! :mad: Pisses me off that there are no fines or way to govern that stuff. Anyways, I've gotten hit a few times with rocks and where there is no film on my car, I've gotten gashes from the stones, taking off the paint and even what seems to be a part of the metal. I've used my Dr. Colorchip kit 2 or 3 times already and just found yet another chip just above the windshield on the edge of the roof (no film there either). :(

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think it's the brand name.

I will say I am so glad I got the film on my car, as I've only had it since June and I've already encountered trucks littering stones and debris on the highway! :mad: Pisses me off that there are no fines or way to govern that stuff. Anyways, I've gotten hit a few times with rocks and where there is no film on my car, I've gotten gashes from the stones, taking off the paint and even what seems to be a part of the metal. I've used my Dr. Colorchip kit 2 or 3 times already and just found yet another chip just above the windshield on the edge of the roof (no film there either). :(
I too have the clearbra installed by Autobahnd...only because I purchased the car in Massachusetts and that's who they use. I only paid $450 (I think...anyway four hundred something)...what they told me was what the Autobahnd place charges them...so, I did it. I felt if you are going to get it installed, you might as well do it when the car is brand spanking new rather than a month or two out when you might already have chips or nicks in the paint. I am VERY glad I purchased it...you really can't see it when the car is clean...when the car gets really dirty, you can sometimes see the line on the hood (dust and stuff brings it out more)...one wash and it's invisible again. The other side of the argument is you can repaint your hood if you get enough chips but it will cost you more than the $500-$800 places charge for the film. Even with the film, I try to avoid the dump trucks from being in front of my car...I will drive slow or let them get out from in front of me rather than get my car destroyed. Mine covers the whole front bumper, hood, side mirrors and the front wheel wells too...also, if you hate it that much after an install, you can leave it on for a year and always remove it later.

·
Registered
842 Posts
There is a substantial reason to use the dealer if it is even close. The Lexus warranty is real and enforceable while many places that do this sort of work are transient and gone by the time you know something went wrong. You also have a record of the purchase date, you get a loaner when it is being repaired, etc etc. I would have paid an extra $200 or $300 for the Lexus imprimatur. I have already had my front section replaced once. Those compound curves around the lower grille opening are a bear and the shield at the corner comes up very easily, trapping dirt and water behind them.

Do yourself a favor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts