Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Active Army (11B) for the past four years, and being honorable discharged in Nov. Wife is in the Air Force, so moving to the great state of Wyoming, Cheyenne to be with her and attending University of Wyoming... joy. (From SoCal went to CSUF until my slot opened up in the Army and have been stationed in Fort Bliss, El Paso Texas for four years and a combat tour in Afghanistan OEF 11-12)

Came back from Afghanistan this time last year around July 2012, a week lated purchased my 2002 s2k with 48,xxx miles. Loved the car to death, my dream car since i've been little. Then decided to get married and to live with my wife when i'm discharged from the military. Turns out it snows more than half the year where where she's stationed, and horrific winds. So... to the s2k had to go. For a while I was debating between getting a Subaru Impreza Sportwagon or Lexus ct200h, AWD vs Hybrid. Granted i'll be driving about 100 miles everyday to commute from our apartment to the university and facting in the snow, winds, and with myself wanting the Lexus more, chose the Lexus.

Pretty much read nearly every thread reguarding ct200h and snow, and came to the conclusion that winter tires are a must, and really depends on the actual driver. Also with the Traction Controls, that i'll have to find out first hand around the parking lot, unpopulated hills.

Test drove the ct200h, fell in love with the handling and turning. Love the sleek body, plus the four door / hatch for my two dogs.
Will be picking up my 2011 Matador Red Mica ct200h really soon. Has about 14k miles on it.

Future mods:
Tints all around
HID 6k headlights / 3k foglights
LED replace lights all around
Injen Intake
Clear Bra for Front bumper / Side mirrors
Snow tires of course, possbility of upgrading to some RPF1 17/18 x 8/8.5 +30-40 (still deciding what set up looks best)
Chance of springs and then coilovers once I move back to SoCal.
Shark Fin atenna

Probably more, just can't think about it at the moment.

Well just wanted to drop by and give an introduction to myself, considering I'm probably going to be an active member around these forums!

Any tips on driving in snow / how the road are in Wyoming or driving a ct200h in Wyoming would be greatly welcome and appreciated :D

·
Registered
383 Posts
Welcome! I can't give you any tips on driving in snow since I'm in Florida but I can tell you that you will love the CT...I love mine. It might not be S2K fast but sitting in the drivers seat you feel like it can be fast.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I live in Colorado. I can tell you the stock tires are terrible in the snow. I bought a winter wheel/tire combo from tirerack.com. I swap the wheels out in December and back again in April. I went with 16" steel wheels and some winter Dunlops that were on sale. Night and day using this set up in the winter. The nice thing is when the stock tires wear out I am going to get summer tires to replace them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you noticed a drop in MPG driving in the snow? if so how much?

·
Registered
107 Posts
In the summer I average 46mpg. In the winter I average 42mpg. The consensus is the main contributers to the decrease in fuel economy is the winter gas blend and the battery performance drop in colder temperatures. The highest I ever achieved is 48mpg in June, the lowest was 38mpg in January.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response.
Another question; how is driving up mounted snow hills? ever a problem with the traction control, or do you disable it?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I generally stay out of the mountains during the snow, and its pretty flat here in the front range.

However, I will say this, with the stock tires if there is snow on my driveway, forget it. With snow tires, no problem.

In my 2007 civic si I used to disable the traction control in the snow. I haven't played with it in the CT.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts