Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Yesterday we went with my wife(who is pregnant to our first baby) to test drive the CT I had orally ordered(meaning I haven't yet payed sth in advance).We were till that time pretty enthusiastic about this car and literally couldn't wait to do it our own!!
I was overwhelmed by the general performances of the car and wanted to buy it immediately,but it not escaped my attention the tears in my wifes face that brought me back to earth.
The reason was that she expected it roomier and at first sight the car doesn't seem to fit with comfort baby stroller(one or even two after 1-2 years) back in the trunk of the car,as the 375 litres of space seem to be causing problems to our needs.Also,she noticed that when in few months we'll set the baby seat in the rear seats of CT,there will not be enough space for the baby feet(I suppose she means when baby becomes a year or so) till they reach the front seats.
I know that one solution is to see for myself if they really fit or not into the car(by having another appointment with my car dealer),but since then do any of you confronted the same issue as me?Do any of you have newborn children and your only family car is CT?At the end, is CT a family car or should I look elsewhere?
I'm really troubled with this guys and I'm really expecting sth positive from all of you:(..
Crossing my fingers and wait for answers..Thanks in advance and sorry if I were a chatterbox:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,

I have had a big baby car seat in the back. The baby was 1,5 years, and no problem with feet or space. So don't worry about the baby car seat.

I have not tried a baby stroller in the trunk, so not sure. Someone else will have to answer that.

·
Registered
193 Posts
space is relative. our "big" car is a Prius. So the CT to us is quite fine hauling a family of two kids around.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm not sure, but it may be difficult to put a collapsible "stick" type stroller in the car without folding down a seat.

I just managed to squeeze my hockey bag in without folding down the seats. Still had to give it a harder push to compress my bag to get it to close. Regular bag, not a goalie bag.

·
Registered
115 Posts
umbrella stroller will fit fine (chicco/maclaren/kolkraft)....babycarseat-combo/snap-n-go-buggy-type stroller will be a problem. i would probably not get this car if you have a newborn/infant - you will behauling around a lot of stuff for little tyke and will want at least sedan/mini-wagon space (just my opinion).

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was in your same boat. my wife and i decided to the ct. We have a car ordered and coming in a week.. then my wife thought about baby and stroller and then we gave up the car.. I think that there's no way you can fit baby car seat, stroller, and mommy in the same car.. =( Oh, did I mention about grocery also?? =(
We are still looking for a car now.. The CT is a small car.. I do wish it's more of a Prius size (but being lexus built). Also, there's no cup holder in the back!!! Even my honda coupe has a cup holders..

·
Registered
2 Posts
rear facing seat no-go :(

My wife and I have been considering a CT200H for a few weeks now. Our background: We've been driving a manual-transmission 2003 Matrix for about three years and are totally sold on Toyota reliability and low maintenance cost. In fact, I'm floored at how well put together the Matrix is and how reliable it has been. Especially when you consider that it had 160,000 KM when we got it and it's now over 190,000. But now want to replace the Matrix, mainly because my wife prefers driving automatic (especially with kids strapped in the backseat) but also because I feel that the resale on the Matrix will start dropping exponentially if we hang onto it much longer. So, it's a good time to sell it.

Most importantly, we have a 3-1/2 year old and are expecting our second in Feb/12. So, back seat and cargo space are a priority BUT we do not need a huge SUV or crossover etc - the Matrix has ample space, and with a compact hatchback you simply learn to carry what you need when you need it. I mean, really, 95% of the time the car is barely filled. For the 5% of the time you need to go to Costco, on a road trip, or for a hike etc you just pack accordingly (we also have a new Nissan XTerra, my work vehicle, and can tell you that once you have a vehicle like that you tend to overpack and spend oodles on gas carrying around things you don't need).

I do most of the driving, am into cars, and have been following the progress of hybrid and electric technologies for years now. Waiting for a chance to get on board! So, when I came across the CT200H a few weeks ago (having has stopped at the Lexus dealer researching the 400h - decided against it..) I was taken aback at (a) how "cheap" it is, esp for a Lexus, and (b) how much you get for the money. My first urge was to plan on buying it. Until I opened the hatch, and saw how small it is compared to the Matrix, and sat in the backseat (also smaller). However, once I sat it in my love for it increased and I thought "maybe we can live with less cargo space and also make the two baby seats fixed).

So, I decided to do a real life test. Starting with the test drive of the fully loaded version. Yesterday the dealer let me take it out for over an hour, by myself (the premium package, leather, etc). After driving leisurely by the ocean (here in Vancouver, BC, Canada) and then picking up my wife for her to try it, I was simply devastated by how much I like it!! I haven't a single complaint about how it drives - it's amazing, handles like a dream, is a pleasure to drive, and has the most driver's seat I've even been in (the latter is a HUGE priority for me). Oh, and I forgot to mention that I am 6'2". The bottom line is that if I am going to be stuck in a car for 1-2 hours each day this is the car for me. My wife was neutral with how it drove (she preferred an XTrail we recently tried.. another cool vehicle, but a different breed entirely. Not available in the US, incidentally), and was mostly concerned with the lack of visibility out/around the rear pillars and rear window and cargo and baby seat space.

So, this morning I went back to the dealer with the rear-facing seat and our bugaboo cameleon stroller to see how they would fit. To make a long story short, the baby seat negates our being able to get this car. With the passenger seat moved up about half way, and the seat back reclined more than average (how my wife would sit) the seat will not click into its base. It was very deflating, as I would dearly love to own this car as our next. But, not to the point where I would ask my wife (or I) to sit uncomfortably in it for hours on end just so we could have a CT200h. The only other option would be to see if anyone makes a more compact rear-facing baby seat, but I can't imagine it would make a huge difference.

A photo of the back seat *almost* clicked in is posted here:

http://members.shaw.ca/odwak/Sale/CT200H_babyseat.jpg

I'm holding out some hope that battery/design innovations over the next year allow Lexus to increase the size of the CT200H by 10-20% (making it the size of a Matrix) for 2013 or that they come out with a slightly larger hatchback (but not a crossover). What do we do now? I'm researching the Prius V and plug-in Prius (will it really come out next summer?) and may consider them (I'm only buying Toyota or Nissan. Looked into BMW, Audi, and Mercedes wagons and the operating costs are scary. Esp after the warranty is up. I'm not going to pay through the nose just to look like a big shot. To me German engineering, as far as cars go, now seems like an oxymoron..). The problem now is that I'm sold on the luxury of the Lexus such that getting a Toyota - simply in terms of luxury - may seem like a compromise.

The CT200h is the new benchmark for me, even though we can't justify one. I'll keep you all posted on what we do, but will leave you with this: If you need a car of these specs/size, don't have kids, or have a kid who is already in a forward facing seat (and don't plan on having a second child) then buy this car in a heartbeat. It's in a league of its own in terms of cost, luxury, drive, and (Toyota) reliability!

Hi guys,

Yesterday we went with my wife(who is pregnant to our first baby) to test drive the CT I had orally ordered(meaning I haven't yet payed sth in advance).We were till that time pretty enthusiastic about this car and literally couldn't wait to do it our own!!
I was overwhelmed by the general performances of the car and wanted to buy it immediately,but it not escaped my attention the tears in my wifes face that brought me back to earth.
The reason was that she expected it roomier and at first sight the car doesn't seem to fit with comfort baby stroller(one or even two after 1-2 years) back in the trunk of the car,as the 375 litres of space seem to be causing problems to our needs.Also,she noticed that when in few months we'll set the baby seat in the rear seats of CT,there will not be enough space for the baby feet(I suppose she means when baby becomes a year or so) till they reach the front seats.
I know that one solution is to see for myself if they really fit or not into the car(by having another appointment with my car dealer),but since then do any of you confronted the same issue as me?Do any of you have newborn children and your only family car is CT?At the end, is CT a family car or should I look elsewhere?
I'm really troubled with this guys and I'm really expecting sth positive from all of you:(..
Crossing my fingers and wait for answers..Thanks in advance and sorry if I were a chatterbox:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
strollers

I too have the same problem with the car. It does not accommodate a"Bob" stroller. I love the car but need to be able to bring a stroller.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,
Amazing thread here, i have a question about baby stroller, only experience guys reply please,
Which age of babies are best for getting strollers?
I ask this question because some one tell me before 2 years no use of stroller, isn't like that?

·
Registered
609 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Honest answer is even though I love my CT I would think hard about getting a CT if we were to have our first child and it was our only car. We've had 3, the youngest is now 13, but I can remember how much stuff we had with the first one. If you get one I'd say get some roofbars and a box as well.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hello,
Amazing thread here, i have a question about baby stroller, only experience guys reply please,
Which age of babies are best for getting strollers?
I ask this question because some one tell me before 2 years no use of stroller, isn't like that?
there are (at least) two kinds of strollers. when baby is an infant to 6-8 months (when baby can sit up on their own) , the removable carseat-to-stroller (typically buggy-style/snap-n-go) is required b/c the baby rests in a more reclined fashion (to support neck and avoid whiplash in the car since their heads are proportionally larger than as an adult). in the US typically it is recommended to leave your child's carseat rear-facing until they are 1 year old and at least 20 lbs (~9 kg?). we started using umbrella-style stroller when the baby can sit up on their own (good trunk, neck tone/strength) at ~7-8 months.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, have you tried to fit the stroller into the trunk? I have this car and now I am trying to think which stroller can fit into my trunk. Please advise.

·
Registered
163 Posts
So, have you tried to fit the stroller into the trunk? I have this car and now I am trying to think which stroller can fit into my trunk. Please advise.
Glad you brought this up. My wife has been asking me about measurements and such so we can look into a stroller. If anyone can tell us the makes and models of strollers that they tote around in their CT that would be really appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
180 Posts
For sure, a Phil & teds classic (or sport) stroller won't fit in the back. I even have trouble with the larger "captain" seats for toddlers. Puts their dirty/kicking feet right up against the back of the front seats.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Glad you brought this up. My wife has been asking me about measurements and such so we can look into a stroller. If anyone can tell us the makes and models of strollers that they tote around in their CT that would be really appreciated. Thanks!
We use the Graco Quattro Tour travel system including the rear facing child seat. GRACOBABY - Quattro Tour® Classic Connect™ Travel SystemWith the retractable cargo cover removed, the folded Graco system fit nicely and snug and dare I say it, it was easier to fit in compared to our big american sedan. As you'll notice most sedans these days have some precarious smaller openings in the trunk and you'll have to wiggle the stroller system through some weird diagonal motions; however, because of the straight rear opening of the hatchback, lifting and fitting the stroller is relatively back friendly.

Our precious little has now graduated from rear facing seat to the front facing Graco Nautilus 3 in one Search | GracoThis fit is pretty good as well. Hope this helps.

Note that these specs are with all rear seats up.

·
Registered
163 Posts
We use the Graco Quattro Tour travel system including the rear facing child seat. GRACOBABY - Quattro Tour® Classic Connect™ Travel SystemWith the retractable cargo cover removed, the folded Graco system fit nicely and snug and dare I say it, it was easier to fit in compared to our big american sedan. As you'll notice most sedans these days have some precarious smaller openings in the trunk and you'll have to wiggle the stroller system through some weird diagonal motions; however, because of the straight rear opening of the hatchback, lifting and fitting the stroller is relatively back friendly.

Our precious little has now graduated from rear facing seat to the front facing Graco Nautilus 3 in one Search | GracoThis fit is pretty good as well. Hope this helps.

Note that these specs are with all rear seats up.

Yes, it really does! Thanks for the detailed information.

It's funny the thing that you said about the trunk is one of the things that I mentioned to my wife when I was trying to convince her to let me buy it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Our kid is 7 now, but we went thru many strollers. One of the best compact stroller is from the Maclaren line. They don't look too special but once you have push one around with a kid on it, you will know the difference. I recommend it to all my friends who have small kids.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The Phil & Ted's stroller won't fit our car, but it has real air-filled tires which are large (easy to roll over stuff), and has a bunch of attachments available for it. For a newborn there is an adapter that fits Graco or other brand rear facing seat right on top. When the kid is ready, the stroller is easy to push even when jogging. There's also a 2nd kid seat for the back to push 2 kids at the same time. I think I spent about $700 total for the stroller and attachments when its all said and done. We stopped using it when the kids hit 3 and 5.

·
Registered
45 Posts
We have no problem fitting the stroller or car seat in my wife car. Just pick a compact baby seat such as the clek foonf

1 - 20 of 22 Posts