Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The complementary first service comprises the following (see list below) - note there is no oil change at the 5000 mile mark.

Anyone plan on paying extra to get the oil change performed during this inspection?

Edit - Lexus CT200h Oil Change at 10,000 mile Intervals according to service schedule

With my BMW's (and Audi's I've owned in the past) I've always followed the manufacturers schedule and never done more than the suggested service. Because I drive a lot of highway miles my service intervals on the BMW's are usually around 15000 to 16000 miles.

This is our first Lexus (Toyota) are these motors as dependable as the german motors?

:D:D:D:D

Complimentary First
Scheduled Maintenance
Service: Six Months or
5,000 Miles

Lexus provides your first scheduled
maintenance service at no charge.
The service is performed at six
months or 5,000 miles, whichever
occurs first. To obtain this service,
contact your Lexus dealership. Your
complimentary service will include
these items:
• Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
• Program Lexus Personalized
Settings, if requested
• Reset maintenance reminder
light
• Rotate tires
• Visually inspect brake pads,
calipers and rotors
• Check installation of driver’s
floor mat
• Road-test vehicle

·
Registered
159 Posts
In Canada, in my book, it says oil change every 8000km, so 5000 miles.
A mistake somewhere?

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
For hybrids, the oil change has been changed to 10k intervals. In my opinion, Japanese engines are much more reliable than German engines.

But, you can't beat German engines for sportiness.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Your correct, the Service Interval is 5k for tire rotation and a few other scheduled items, however the oil is 10k intervals.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In Canada, in my book, it says oil change every 8000km, so 5000 miles.
A mistake somewhere?
Well Canada is a net exporter of oil - so conservation less of an issue.:eek:

BTW - I lived in Calgary for a couple of years - great scenery - love Montreal too we get up their for long weekends occasionally only about 6 hr ride for me!

Getting back to oil intervals, I believe the impetus for extending the intervals came from Europe. The EEC told manufacturers they had to reduce the volume of engine fluids that had to be disposed of / recycled, Synthetic fluids made extending the life of engine oil much easier.
BMW has no set mileage for oil change the computer calculates "remaining oil life" based on things like how you drive, ambient conditions etc..

It's normal for me to see 16,000 mile intervals between oil changes. But that is only about 6 months of driving for me.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Well Canada is a net exporter of oil - so conservation less of an issue.:eek:

BTW - I lived in Calgary for a couple of years - great scenery - love Montreal too we get up their for long weekends occasionally only about 6 hr ride for me!

Getting back to oil intervals, I believe the impetus for extending the intervals came from Europe. The EEC told manufacturers they had to reduce the volume of engine fluids that had to be disposed of / recycled, Synthetic fluids made extending the life of engine oil much easier.
BMW has no set mileage for oil change the computer calculates "remaining oil life" based on things like how you drive, ambient conditions etc..

It's normal for me to see 16,000 mile intervals between oil changes. But that is only about 6 months of driving for me.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
I don't know if I would go that long. I don't care how good the oil is, it still breaks down over time. I drive my 03 Cobra less than 2k miles a year, and it gets changed twice a year..

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Andy

The beauty of synthetic oil is that it doesn't break down under normal operation. If you get it up to normal operating temps and it gets filtered adequately it's going to be OK.

I agree low miles over an extended period is detrimental, but that's more of a moisture thing.

We have a lab test the oil on our fleet vehicles at work and occasionally I throw in a sample of the oil from one of my BMW's -passes QC every time.

Jiffy Lube etc. don't want you to think you can extend the oil change interval !

BTW - thanks for supporting the forum!
:cool::cool::cool::cool:

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Andy

The beauty of synthetic oil is that it doesn't break down under normal operation. If you get it up to normal operating temps and it gets filtered adequately it's going to be OK.

I agree low miles over an extended period is detrimental, but that's more of a moisture thing.

We have a lab test the oil on our fleet vehicles at work and occasionally I throw in a sample of the oil from one of my BMW's -passes QC every time.

Jiffy Lube etc. don't want you to think you can extend the oil change interval !

BTW - thanks for supporting the forum!
:cool::cool::cool::cool:
I agree that Synthetic does not break down, and I guess I should have noted that in my last statement. However, to me personally, it is a cheap insurance policy vs buying a new engine.

And it is my pleasure to be on here and support the forum.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Inspect drive belts?

Electric steering
Electric water pump
thought it had an integrated generator?

A/C pump maybe?

Someone on here mentioned the CTh had no belts whatsover?!?

·
Registered
199 Posts
The issue isn't so much oil breaking down, but contaminants building up in the oil, especially un-spent Fuel. That is what does the most damage to bearings and other internal parts of the motor.

10k seems like a lot to me, but then again I'm used to hearing about Subaru's and their motors imploding due to people trying to go 8k+ miles between oil changes on a turbo motor...

·
Registered
222 Posts
i would not be worried about 10k mile oil change intervals with the ct200h's motor. first of all, it is not a performance motor. i've seen oil analysis data sheets from high revving performance motors like the honda s2000 while running on full synthetic and the oil (mobil 1 & amsoil) still had lots of life left in it even after 7500 miles.

i'm just kinda worried about the first oil change (which i think should be performed at least at the 5k mile mark) because of the motor break-in. hopefully the filter is good at trapping any metal shavings or particulates well enough that occur due to the natural engine break-in process.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm just not sure I can get on board with 10K oil changes. My Supra gets a fresh oil change every 2-3K miles, but it also makes 8 times the power and gets driven 10x harder.
I will probably just change it myself at 5K with whatever Lexus recommends and a genuine Lexus filter to keep the warranty people happy should anything ever happen.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm not so worried about a 10K interval for the first few years, but after 150,000 miles, my Prius eats oil to some degree. No way I could go that far without refilling.

Remember, you can't compare a hybrid to a conventional car's engine. Our CT's engine will start and stop numerous times during even the shortest road trip. I'm no expert, but I would imagine starting and stopping all the time does more damage to the oil than conventional operation.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Starting and stopping does no damage to oil. Doesn't do damage to anything actually, otherwise the entire concept of a Hybrid would be pointless or constantly destroy the motor.

The worst thing you can do to a motor is leave it sitting for long periods of time (IE weeks, months... Gaskets will dry up) or run it with bad oil or low oil/coolant levels.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Dependable

The complementary first service comprises the following (see list below) - note there is no oil change at the 5000 mile mark.

Anyone plan on paying extra to get the oil change performed during this inspection?

Edit - Lexus CT200h Oil Change at 10,000 mile Intervals according to service schedule

With my BMW's (and Audi's I've owned in the past) I've always followed the manufacturers schedule and never done more than the suggested service. Because I drive a lot of highway miles my service intervals on the BMW's are usually around 15000 to 16000 miles.

This is our first Lexus (Toyota) are these motors as dependable as the german motors?

:D:D:D:D

Complimentary First
Scheduled Maintenance
Service: Six Months or
5,000 Miles

Lexus provides your first scheduled
maintenance service at no charge.
The service is performed at six
months or 5,000 miles, whichever
occurs first. To obtain this service,
contact your Lexus dealership. Your
complimentary service will include
these items:
• Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
• Program Lexus Personalized
Settings, if requested
• Reset maintenance reminder
light
• Rotate tires
• Visually inspect brake pads,
calipers and rotors
• Check installation of driver’s
floor mat
• Road-test vehicle
I have leased two Audi A6's in the past few years...a CVT (first year) 2002 A6 and a 2005...both were still under the every service included free...they were basically very reliable...on the 2005, the MMI interface went wacky once--it was covered under warranty. The reason I'm stating this is we also own a 2004 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited (top of the line that year)...bought it brand new and it just broke 160K miles this past week...never a single problem...I serviced it at the local Toyota dealer for the first two services and ever since, all we have ever done is change the oil with full synthetic every 10-15K miles and change tires when necessary...in fact, we only did 1 brake job so far at around 70K when it really needed it...Toyota's (Lexus) are in my opinion MUCH more reliable than any German or European car...just treat them well and change the oil often.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The difference between continents never ceases to amaze me. Over here in Singapore/Malaysia, we have the first service at 1000kms (just went for mine yesterday). They did a full oil (fully syn) & gasket change. Go figure...:confused:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Starting and stopping does no damage to oil. Doesn't do damage to anything actually, otherwise the entire concept of a Hybrid would be pointless or constantly destroy the motor.
I was under the impression that when the engine stops, any exhaust left in the cylinders would leech into the oil and reduce it's lifespan. Is this not correct?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I was under the impression that when the engine stops, any exhaust left in the cylinders would leech into the oil and reduce it's lifespan. Is this not correct?
PCV valves exist for a reason. Other than that, I don't know how the exhaust can get directly into the oil.

Considering these motors operate less frequent than a traditional gas motor, the build up of any sort of oil damaging deposits will be LESS over the lifetime of the vehicle, which is part of why Prius's have such good reliability records and very few mechanical breakdowns. The motor runs just enough to keep everything lubricated well, but not too much as to cause excessive wear and tear.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's odd. My dealership gave me paperwork that clearly states two complimentary oil changes at both 5000 and 10000 miles.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts