Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone

I am just sharing the experience when I upgrade my factory subwoofer. I was going to put a 6.5" sub but decide to go with a 8". I also want to keep the factory look by using the original sub enclosure. For electronic part unfortunately my premium sound system has only a 172w amplifier (86280-76050), so I have a JL XD400 to push this sub and 2 mid-low bass at front door.

I hope these picture can help you determining how you want to plan your upgrades.

1. Factory subwoofer enclosure

2. Separating the enclosure. It is just like 30 screws holding them together. The enclosure was not glued together.

3. The factory sub and the opening diameter. The factory sub is about 5.75", but the opening diameter can open up and closer to 8". You can mount a 6.5" sub directly without trimming at this point.

4. There is a cone behind the speaker. The depth can go down up to 6" if you remove the cone and if you don't modify the opening height (however I did).

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
5. I first removing the inner ring and this will give me 7" clearance on diameter.

6. This fits my 8" subwoofer speaker, however, it will not work between the speaker and trunk liner grill.

7. I have to shorten the height about 20mm on opening which I mentioned in step 4. This will give enough clearance between from my 8" sub and trunk liner grill. Now I have a second ring removed. I am keeping this second outer ring and use as screw drill-in mount (screw | speaker | enclosure | outer ring for screws to drill in). If you cut the opening like this, you will need a good seal. I applied silicon seal, let it dry then install my speaker. You may use some rubber seal or whatever you prefer.

8. Shorten the cone. while my sub is 4.5" depth and I also shorten the opening, I need to cut at least 5.5". I am keeping the cap.

9. Reseal the cone with cap.

10. Installed 8" JL subwoofer. The speaker is flush with the enclosure and not poking out. (My speaker logo is there just because I am lazy to extend the speaker wire inside, I just rotate the speaker so its terminal can reach the wire)

11. Installing the sub back to car. I did not install JL speaker grill because my trunk liner will not touch the speaker even in operation.

I hope these picture can help someone.

Attachments

·
Registered
635 Posts
That looks pretty awesome! How does it work? Wonder how this compares to adding the Rockford Fosgate 300W 10in sub that is detailed in my writeup. This is definitely more stealthy and doesn't take up truck space.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts