Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone

I am just sharing the experience when I upgrade my factory subwoofer. I was going to put a 6.5" sub but decide to go with a 8". I also want to keep the factory look by using the original sub enclosure. For electronic part unfortunately my premium sound system has only a 172w amplifier (86280-76050), so I have a JL XD400 to push this sub and 2 mid-low bass at front door.

I hope these picture can help you determining how you want to plan your upgrades.

1. Factory subwoofer enclosure

2. Separating the enclosure. It is just like 30 screws holding them together. The enclosure was not glued together.

3. The factory sub and the opening diameter. The factory sub is about 5.75", but the opening diameter can open up and closer to 8". You can mount a 6.5" sub directly without trimming at this point.

4. There is a cone behind the speaker. The depth can go down up to 6" if you remove the cone and if you don't modify the opening height (however I did).

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
5. I first removing the inner ring and this will give me 7" clearance on diameter.

6. This fits my 8" subwoofer speaker, however, it will not work between the speaker and trunk liner grill.

7. I have to shorten the height about 20mm on opening which I mentioned in step 4. This will give enough clearance between from my 8" sub and trunk liner grill. Now I have a second ring removed. I am keeping this second outer ring and use as screw drill-in mount (screw | speaker | enclosure | outer ring for screws to drill in). If you cut the opening like this, you will need a good seal. I applied silicon seal, let it dry then install my speaker. You may use some rubber seal or whatever you prefer.

8. Shorten the cone. while my sub is 4.5" depth and I also shorten the opening, I need to cut at least 5.5". I am keeping the cap.

9. Reseal the cone with cap.

10. Installed 8" JL subwoofer. The speaker is flush with the enclosure and not poking out. (My speaker logo is there just because I am lazy to extend the speaker wire inside, I just rotate the speaker so its terminal can reach the wire)

11. Installing the sub back to car. I did not install JL speaker grill because my trunk liner will not touch the speaker even in operation.

I hope these picture can help someone.

Attachments

·
Registered
654 Posts
That looks pretty awesome! How does it work? Wonder how this compares to adding the Rockford Fosgate 300W 10in sub that is detailed in my writeup. This is definitely more stealthy and doesn't take up truck space.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Do you know if the wiring and/or space is provided in the 6 speaker base audio setup where I could just add a subwoofer to the empty hole that's already there?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Regarding about the sound after one year listening the sub, I am pleased to the upgrade. I am not a fan of heavy bass but this upgrade is right on the spot to me. This upgrade is definitely added the lack of bass from original factory sub and I am glad I chose 8" instead of 6.5" JL subwoofer.

·
Registered
2018 Lexus CT 200h
2 Posts
Thank you ckegg for the post. I also have the same 10 speaker setup in my 2018 CT 200h and was not too happy with the type of bass that the original 5.75" woofer was delivering. I followed your post and did the exact thing to my setup minus the aftermarket amplifier install. Your directions were on point and I used the measurements you provided to help source the maximum size sub woofer for that enclosure. I have posted a few pics on my install :

1. Original enclosure with 5.75 inch woofer removed from car.

It was the 1st time I ever came across a double firing / double cone sub woofer @ 2ohms.

2. Replacement Subwoofer purchased : Infinity Kappa 8" - 400w RMS with selectable impedance.

The reason I chose this subwoofer was due to the following characteristics :
2.1. The impedance was 2 ohm - same as the factory installed woofer
2.2. The subwoofer is rated 89db @ 1 metre @ 2.83V so it has a very high efficiency compared to the Pioneer, Kicker, JBL's etc. that were available. More sound without the need for adding an external amplifier.
2.3. This subwoofer was cheaper than the Pioneer and Kicker options ( 1095 ZAR which is equivalent to 63 USD as of 16/06/2020)
2.4. The supplier was able to courier to my home even during the coronavirus lockdown when non-essential items were not allowed.

3. Installation of the 8 inch subwoofer

As per ckegg's instructions, I dismantled the enclosure, but removed the internal support cone completely and sealed the hole using another piece of circular plastic and silicone. I had to do this because the mounting depth of the Infinity subwoofer was around 5.5 inches.I needed all the depth I could get.
I then used a Dremel tool / pencil grinder to cut the mounting hole larger to 7 inches. I then placed the subwoofer into the enclosure and witnessed an issue.
The subwoofer mounting holes were now nowhere near the plastic rim. This meant that I was not able to screw the subwoofer directly onto the rim. I was able to resolve this issue by getting 2" self tapping screws with metal washers which then screwed onto the base of the plastic rim. I also used speed clips so that these screws would screw on tight and not lose tension over time. The picture below will be able to better describe how the screws went in.

4. Final mounting of the Subwoofer enclosure

Once the enclosure was mounted and tightened , I noticed that the speaker surround gasket would vibrate on the trunk liner because there was very little clearance between the two. I then decided to use foam tape which was stuck onto the removable rim of the subwoofer. This allowed me to get about 1/2 inch clearance from the trunk liner. The foam tape also doubled as a vibration damper.

Once installed, I proceeded to screw the liner back on and tighten everything.

In conclusion these were my findings:
Pros
The replacement subwoofer is worlds apart from the original in terms of low frequency delivery and volume gain. You can actually feel the bass through the entire car. It also is twice as loud as the original - maybe more. And remember this is using the factory installed amplifier.

Cons
If you are the type of person that likes to hear booming bass at low volume , then this is not going to work for you. The Lexus entertainment system does not allow for the separate control of the sub-woofer frequency or gain. All you get is the 3 band equalizer and you will need to turn the bass to maximum in order to get this sub-woofer to really crank. In addition, you will need to play your music very loud in order to enjoy this new-found bass.
This problem that I have highlighted above can be overcome by installing an aftermarket mono amplifier with subsonic filtering and gain adjustments. In the future I may want to install a Kicker Mono amplifier as those have the ability to work with High level inputs and turn on without the need for a remote 12v + wire.

Thank you ckegg for the post. I hope that others would also attempt this and let us know of the outcome.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts